General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One of the Most Under-Rated Triathlons: Rocky Point. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-04-02 7:40 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: One of the Most Under-Rated Triathlons: Rocky Point.

I worked the Red Rock Las Palomas/Rocky Point Triathlon this weekend in Mexico. This was a truly incredible event. Top ten in the world. It is a perfect event for new athletes and first timers, especially those who are doing their first open water, ocean swim.

Clear, shallow water, dolphins, calm seas and great race management. I wrote a story about the event on my own page I was so impressed. Take a peek if interested. This truly is an ultimate event:

http://tomdemerly.com/2012/04/03/2012-red-rock-las-palomasrocky-point-triathlon-puerto-penasco-mexico/

2012-04-02 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4125878

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: One of the Most Under-Rated Triathlons: Rocky Point.
That looks and sounds incredible! Look at that water!
2012-04-02 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4125910

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

We saw dolphins every day. It was incredible. I couldn't believe there weren't 1500 people at this race.

It is (was...) a best kept secret. It's worth mentioning I have affiliation with the organizers in any way, shape or form. I just went there to cover it and was impressed. Very impressed. You should see the hotel too....  KissLaughingSmileCoolLaughing

http://tomdemerly.com/2012/04/03/2012-red-rock-las-palomasrocky-point-triathlon-puerto-penasco-mexico/

2012-04-02 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
I hear the event is top notch and had several friends racing it.  Las Palomas is a nice resort but at the end of the day, it's Rocky Point which I'm sure keeps a lot of people away.
2012-04-02 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Looks and sounds amazing! I would love to do it but finances are something I would have to work out in order to do this race.
2012-04-03 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

I was there over the weekend, and I agree it was a fantastic race.  The race organization and resort were stellar.  The only issue with Tom's assessment that I have is the 'calm' water.  It certainly didn't seem calm when I was fighting the swells for half the morning.    I found the ocean swim to be a completely different animal than the lake and river OWS I have done previously.

ETA:  To be fair:  I was racing with a case of bronchitis (I know, I know - I had finished a round of antibiotics and really felt I was on the mend), so my perception of the severity and impact of the swellls may be a little biased...  

Edited by BHannahs 2012-04-03 9:37 AM

2012-04-03 10:22 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
It is a great event with hands down the best after party anywhere. In 2009 i won the Olympic race and my prize was a double magnum bottel of tequila which I still Have! Unfortunaltely, we have skipped it the last few years due to concerns over the violence plaguing Mexico. My wife hasn't felt safe driving down there.
2012-04-03 10:22 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
It is a great event with hands down the best after party anywhere. In 2009 i won the Olympic race and my prize was a double magnum bottel of tequila which I still Have! Unfortunaltely, we have skipped it the last few years due to concerns over the violence plaguing Mexico. My wife hasn't felt safe driving down there.
2012-04-03 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4126932

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

bryancd - 2012-04-03 8:22 AM It is a great event with hands down the best after party anywhere. In 2009 i won the Olympic race and my prize was a double magnum bottel of tequila which I still Have! Unfortunaltely, we have skipped it the last few years due to concerns over the violence plaguing Mexico. My wife hasn't felt safe driving down there.

This is why I didn't do this year as well...It's crazy, when I first moved down to AZ I'd go down to Rocky Point once a year for a little mini vacation. Now it seems you hear a horror story every other week about something terrible happening to tourists in the border towns. (Just heard a story last night on the news about a girl's last call to home saying she was kidnapped and tied up before the phone went dead.) I love Rocky Point, love the food, the people and I've stayed at that resort a bunch of times...I don't know if it's just media hype or if the crime is really just escalating, but for now I'll stay away.

2012-04-03 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4126969

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

You know, I made a point of going into town Saturday night to see if the concerns over violence are warranted.

I've lived in the Middle East, East and West Africa and in Germany near the border prior to the reunification. My sister also lived in Africa for four years (Peace Corps) and through 2 coups. She got married in Ethiopia.

I know when a place is safe or dangerous. Puerto Penasco is absolutely safe. Absolutely.

As a matter of statistical fact the incidence of violent crime in Rocky Point is lower than both south Tucson and Phoenix.

In short, the idea that this is a dangerous border area is simply and factually incorrect. It is safe.

The areas on the Texas border like Ciudad Juarez are dangerous and not suitable for tourists at this time. Avoid those. But Juarez is 417 miles away.

One of the reasons I wanted to write about Puerto Penasco and the Red Rock Rocky Point Triathlon was the area has gotten an undeserved bad reputation largely from people passing on that reputation without ever having visited the region. I decided to go see it with my own eyes, at night, away from the resort, in the city center. It was safe.

This area and this race are a best kept secret. There were only 134 people in the Olympic distance triathlon and 188 in the sprint distance triathlon.

When it comes to the Rocky Point Triathlon I'll respectfully suggest that this is a great opportunity to use the internet to spread the good word about a little known gem based on fact rather than perpetuate misinformation with little basis in experience or fact.

Finally, it's also worth mentioning that the race organizers didn't know me from a hole in the ground, I never spoke with them and they did not know I was there reporting on the event for any media outlet. I also paid my own way for the event. So, no baksheesh here.

This is just a gem of an event that is undiscovered. Here is the link to the story:

2012-04-03 11:07 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
If it was just up to me I would likely go but my wife has been very against it. And there have been incidents of random violence in Rocky Point and Sonoyta. The thing with random violence is that it's random. Everything can be fine and peaceful..until it's not. There have also been some shakedowns of drivers on the highway to Rocky Point even though it's an American free pass zone. This race used to be very big and popular here in AZ.

Kimo, Mike, and all the folks at Red Rock put on great events and I have always supported their races and consider them all good friends. the only knock on the race itself is the bike course isn't great but it's all they have to work with. The swim is lovely and the golf course run is very fun! And did i ention the after party?! Endless kegs of Corona and tequila shots all afternoon. I have never been so hungover as they Sunday after a Rocky Point race!

Edited by bryancd 2012-04-03 11:10 AM

2012-04-03 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Not only the violence but the fact that I have numerous friends who have been shaken down by corrupt cops. Even people that went down this weekend got stopped and had to pay a bribe. Who wants to deal with that? Just remember that it's a foreign country and you have no rights. I did the race the same year Bryan won and we didn't have any issues but with so many other races in much safer areas, why would you go to this race?
2012-04-03 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4127148

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

"...why would you go to this race?"

Excellent question. Here are some informed answers based on statistics (cited), official information and personal experience rather than forum perpetuated ideas not based in fact or experience:

1. Racing in Rocky Point, Mexico is safer than racing in San Diego, Chicago or New York City according to independently compiled crime statistics. Citations:

From wikipedia:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Puerto_Pe%c3%b1asco

"It was noted recently in an article about crime in the USA that you are 17 times more likely to have violent crime affect you in Flint, Michigan than in Rocky Point."

From a USA Today report by staff writer Laura Bly, updated 2/9/2012:

"It notes that 'millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year for study, tourism, and business ... there is no evidence that Transnational Criminal Organizations (TCOs) have targeted U.S. visitors and residents based on their nationality. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime reported in the border region and in areas along major trafficking routes.'"

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2012/02/state-department-updates-mexico-travel-warning/623473/1

Official U.S. State Department Travel Advisory page for Mexico (entire country) updated 2/8/12:

(Note that there is no mention, warnings or comments about Rocky Point or Puerto Penasco)

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

Here is the security update from the U.S. Embassy in Mexico with detailed, up to date, unbiased government reporting of crime and potential risk to U.S. citizens in Mexico:

http://mexico.usembassy.gov/embassy-messages.html

There is no mention of risk in Puerto Penasco.

2. The race is awesome. Red Rock Company who hosts the event is an experienced U.S. based race production company with close ties to the Mexican local government and local sponsors. The Olympic distance race is reasonably priced at around $100 for a resort based, ocean swim triathlon. Have a look:

I don't get anything from the race promoters, paid my own way- they didn't even know I was there. I was totally undercover so I covered the event from a spectators perspective.

Next year I'm racing though.

Edited by Tom Demerly. 2012-04-03 12:07 PM
2012-04-03 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4127148

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

And phxphotog, if the official information isn't a reasonable enough indicator of the safety, quality and value of the event then let me relate a personal experience from Friday night:

We drove to Puerto Penasco in two large dualie pickups with bikes, luggage and a motorcyle in the bed. All the luggage was unlocked, simply thrown in the bed of the trucks. The bikes were locked along with the motorcycle.

On Friday night one of the guys who owned one of the trucks, the lad with the motorcycle, hit the beach bar pretty hard and was getting his party on. He wasn't racing, he was there to ride his motorcycle on the race course.

Two of the lads and I decided to go into town to get some groceries for the two condos we were in. We took his truck using his spare keys. Since we couldn't find him at the bar we just grabbed the spare keys and drove into town. As it turns out he went out to his truck and... noticed it was stolen. AH HA! What they said was true- Mexico, lawless hellhole. The cartels obviously made off with his truck and were even then loading it to the gills with massive bails of marijuana and cocaine.

He phoned the cops.

Meanwhile, we are in the downtown area at night in a vehicle reported stolen. Stolen inadvertantly by us. Surprised  

We reach a central checkpoint (yes, they have those, its for security and its why the city is safe). The Police stop us. They ask if any of us speak Spanish. We don't. They ask us what we are doing. We tell them grocery shopping. They tell us to return to the resort please. We do.

At the resort gate the private security firm stops us. "What room are you in?" We tell the nice lady. "Oh, your friend with this truck had too much to drink and thought his truck was stolen. He couldn't find the spare key though so we thought you had taken it. We're glad you're you're back. Did you find everything you needed?

We were flummoxed. We just drove through the center of a Mexican town in a "stolen" (by us) pickup truck from the U.S.

Based on that experience from this past Friday night it's pretty easy to understand how rumors get started.

2012-04-03 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
I'm with Tom on this... I have raced this race three years in a row and safety has never been a concern of mine. I highly recommend this event.

This year, my friend's truck was selected for a search in Mexico... no hassles, no bribes. The truck was searched - nothing was found - and they were on their way. Nothing different than what would be expected in the US coming back across..

BHannahs - yes, the swim was choppy and challenging! Be thankful that it wasn't as bad as the year bryancd won - that was a truly brutal swim!
2012-04-03 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM

Nice Tom - thanks for sharing!

Edited by RockTractor 2012-04-03 12:38 PM

2012-04-03 12:32 PM

User image

Expert

I would agree that I wasn't worried about crime from drug gangs but I am worried about corrupt police and have at least 5 friends who have had to deal with that. I love Red Rock races and compete in many every year but Rocky Point won't be one of them. I have had friends who had their lifted golf cart "confiscated" by Mexican police or at least people who said they were Mexican police and even this weekend some racers got strong armed into paying off the police. If this is something you might have to deal with, have fun in Rocky Point. I'm obviously not the only person with this opinion because the place is a ghost town. I feel bad for the Red Rock people because they put on amazing events but they have to be losing money on this event.

There are places in Phoenix that I know that I would run into trouble but I don't go there either. I appreciate peoples enthusiasm for this race but I've seen enough to steer clear of Mexico.

2012-04-03 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4127413

User image

Master
Albuquerque

RockTractor - 2012-04-03 11:28 AM I'm with Tom on this... I have raced this race three years in a row and safety has never been a concern of mine. I highly recommend this event. This year, my friend's truck was selected for a search in Mexico... no hassles, no bribes. The truck was searched - nothing was found - and they were on their way. Nothing different than what would be expected in the US coming back across.. BHannahs - yes, the swim was choppy and challenging! Be thankful that it wasn't as bad as the year bryancd won - that was a truly brutal swim!

I'm going with you next year!

2012-04-03 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4127424

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

phxphotog, I hear you Sir. I sincerely do.

Here is the thing that I find remarkable, and this is typical of internet forums and user contributed media:

I just wrote a post contending that Rocky Point, Mexico is relatively safe for U.S. visitors. To support this statement I provided links to current, official news and information sources including government websites. I also provided a recent, first person account of an experience with local police at night in a downtown area. My own experience.

The other account here is, and I quote via copy and paste, laced with uncited accounts that begin with phrases like, "I have had friends who...". No citation, no police report link, no names. Just, "I heard that...".

I mean no disrespect Sir, but this is typical forum banter and it is a good example of how "information" exchanged on forums can be taken as fact and be misleading and perpetuated elsewhere into another "I heard that...." type response. The bad news is regenerated with little foundation or citation.

Please understand I am not saying you are wrong. I know people get robbed in Puerto Penasco, Mexico. They do. But according to published, independent statistics I cited in my post above more people get robbed in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Phoenix, Detroit and Tucson.

Forums have a habit of regenerated heresay or uncited information- then that information is adopted as "fact". I'd like that to change so we can all rely on what we read here to be more factual, more empiracle and more reliable.

2012-04-03 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4127443

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
abqtj - 2012-04-03 11:37 AM

RockTractor - 2012-04-03 11:28 AM I'm with Tom on this... I have raced this race three years in a row and safety has never been a concern of mine. I highly recommend this event. This year, my friend's truck was selected for a search in Mexico... no hassles, no bribes. The truck was searched - nothing was found - and they were on their way. Nothing different than what would be expected in the US coming back across.. BHannahs - yes, the swim was choppy and challenging! Be thankful that it wasn't as bad as the year bryancd won - that was a truly brutal swim!

You'd better!
2012-04-03 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Just my n=1 experience, as both me and my wife were concerned about having difficulties with traveling to and from Rocky Point or having trouble while we were there...

We were surprised by how smooth things were for us, crossing the border both on the way to as well as the way back from Rocky Point.  Traffic on the highway was sparse, but not desolate.  We didn't feel that we were in danger along the highway.  Things looked a little dicey driving through Sonoyta and Rocky Point, as they appear to be disadvantaged areas - however, no one on the streets, in the resturants, or in the stores gave us any trouble whatsoever.  We found the few people with whom we interacted to be very friendly and helpful.  The resort area was beautiful and felt insulated from the town.  While driving in and around town, we saw five or so police cars, so there was definitely a visible presence - however, we were never followed or stopped by any of them.

Unlike Tom, we made a point to get back to the resort area before dark and didn't expose ourselves to town that much.  We also made a point to travel during daylight.  We had heard the strories as well, and didn't want to take any chances.  However, we found the trip to be very safe and experienced none of the negatives that we had heard in the anecdotes or in the press.

2012-04-03 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4127470

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
RockTractor - 2012-04-03 12:44 PM

You'd better!

Safety in numbers: I'd better go with you guys as well!!

2012-04-03 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4127715

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Bonafide505 - 2012-04-03 1:02 PM

You'd better!

At this point I'm worried about the safety of the locals now...
2012-04-03 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4127776

Veteran
Albuquerque, New Mexico
RockTractor - 2012-04-03 2:21 PM
Bonafide505 - 2012-04-03 1:02 PM

You'd better!

At this point I'm worried about the safety of the locals now...

Funny!

2012-04-03 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4127466

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ

Tom,

Beautiful blog post, thanks for posting it.

I would be careful comparing published crime statistics from Mexico with domestic crime statistics. If there's a question of police corruption, then the crime stats are also suspect.

That said, I'm in BryanCD's boat. Family doesn't feel safe, so we don't go down. It's a shame, because it looks like a lot more fun than cold, rainy Oceanside was.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One of the Most Under-Rated Triathlons: Rocky Point. Rss Feed  

of 2