General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
79F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 19m 47s
Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I had zero plans of ever going to Texas to do a HIM. But I got my friend Scott into tri's and he got to the point of wanting to do a HIM so I said I'd do one with him. So somehow I ended up at Galveston. And Scott learned that if he brings something up odds are we are going to do it so he better be sure. lol

Woke up early and had coffee and oatmeal. Then headed over to the race site to setup transition. I ran into Ken while in transition and got to meet Keri. Then Tiff and Nik found me over waiting at the swim area. It was really cool to get to meet everyone.
Event warmup:

Walking back and forth to the vehicle. Our grand plans of getting their early and getting good parking was foiled by the parking folks. Grr.
Swim
  • 43m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a personal best swim, but also the first HIM in salt water. But, more important it was the best I have ever felt on the swim. I did not back stroke, I did not wade. I only had to make minor course corrections. I think buoy's every 100 yards assisted with that. More contact then I have ever had in a race but I just held my line best I could. Most of the time that worked out. Anyways, I was able to stay in my rhythm and that makes me feel awesome about the whole thing.
What would you do differently?:

Other then take lessons so I am a better swimmer not a whole lot. I took a wide line. Perhaps if I went in a bit more I could have found a draft.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

They had wetsuit strippers there. At the race meeting they said they were not going to have them so I was surprised but it is a good kind of surprised. I already had my wetsuit down to my waist and had my goggles and swim cap in the sleeve of the wetsuit so laid my arse down and let them rip the suit off. Everything else was uneventful

nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 41s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.81 mile/hr
Comments:

I could not get over how many people stayed left and you had to tell them to get over. Lame people, lame. A few people passed me and slowed down right in front of me, forcing me to slow down but for the most part me passing others or others passing me was pretty straight forward and required no adjustment in speed. I think I could have come back a little harder. The HR on the way back was way lower then on the way out. Other then that the bike was uneventful.

Push the pace a bit harder on the way back. I've done better on harder courses but have not had as great a run so who knows
Transition 2
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

uneventful. Did have to pause to find my rack, which caused me a bit. I had determined my rack was the one with the pink tape that a lady put down but someone else added pink to their row and that gave me pause.

not much. Maybe not rack properly cause the silly person next to me didn't bother. Made it just a tiny bit harder to rack. I had an ideal rack spot though in that there was no one to the right of me. Added a bit of sunscreen. Lot of good that did
Run
  • 2h 21m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, what do I say about the run. Technically it will be a DNF, although they still have the time up there. I am logging this just for me. I messed up the run and cut the course short twice, skipping a whole loop each time. Sadness. I figured it out on what was suppose to be mile 9 but was mile 6 on my watch. Tina was there and I stopped and talked to her and she said my splits were way off and that I ran 2 min miles for 2 of my splits. This crushed me. I couldn't figured out what I had done wrong. I was very very close to quitting there. As I ran I thought about what I did and I finally figured it out. On the first lap I started to go down this chute to what would have taken you out passed transition. I asked the volunteer is this the way you go for the first lap and she said this was the finish. I knew you went in one direction for laps 1 and 2 and one for the finish so I took off left. No one stopped me. I did the same thing for lap 2. So when I got back to that spot on lap 3 I stopped and talked to a different volunteer and confirmed what I think I missed. I had to do the airport loop and hadn't done it at all. So, I decided I was running the distance regardless and what they did to me after they did. So I ran that darn boring ugly airport loop 3 times in a row, coming back to the point where I had turned left each of the 2 previous times. I then headed to the finish line on the last one. Watch showed I ran the distance but I knew I hadn't run the same course as everyone else, at least not in the same configuration. Couldn't find a race official on site so I emailed them. Their response
"Hello,

Thank you for reaching out and being so honest in regards to the run course mistake. Unfortunately we will have to issue a DQ for this. Your swim and bike times will still continue to show online however the run will not and you will be marked as a DNF. Thank you again for reaching out.

Best
"
As of right now the time is still up but I assume that will be changed this week. It honestly is bugging me way more then I thought it might. I race for fun and enjoyment and for myself. So my placement is not an issue. I am glad I reported myself though. And I think I would feel even worse if I did not finish the distance.

I know my overall pace was affected by the whole thing. I was running sub 10's up until that point and felt strong. I stopped and talked to Tina, Keri, and of course the race volunteer so that affected my time. Up until that time I was running with no walk breaks other then to get water (they couldn't keep up and at some stations I actually had to go get the water) and keeping a steady pace. All that went to hell in a hand basket after I figured it all out. Still did ok overall though. But, Tina was so stressed about my mess up and worried for me that she forgot to take pictures on the run. Lame. I will forgive her though cause she got some on the bike.

Know the course even better then I thought I did. I also need to start out slower. I did the first few miles sub 9 and that just ain't me. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Scott found me right away, as we finished pretty close to each others time and he had a 5 min start. I feel really bad cause I was so crushed about the run issue I never even congratulated him on his first HIM. Warm down was basically standing in line waiting on pizza. Then finally found Tina and went and got some shade to eat in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being me. lol I train and I train consistently. I am going to focus on my run as I think I am holding myself back there with my form. I have a marathon shuffle and I plan on fixing that.

Event comments:

The race was well organized. A flat course is not overly appealing to me but I still enjoyed it. I don't train on flat so wasn't entirely sure what I could push pace wise. I kept hearing about this Texas humidity and heat and honestly, except for a few times on the run felt pretty good. The cloud cover helped. Humidity was not a factor for me and I train in the sun so I was surprised about how much of a non-factor it was

Last updated: 2011-10-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:31 | 2112 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 72/
Overall: 1603/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: out about 600ish yards, turn and head across about 1000ish yards, and then turn down towards the chute about 300ish yards. Protected bay
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:41 | 56 miles | 17.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 58/
Overall: 1475/
Split Name Distance Split Time Race Time Pace Div. Rank Overall Rank Gender Rank 28 mi 28 mi 1:38:59 2:25:28 16.97 mi/h 56 mi 28 mi 1:29:42 3:55:10 18.73 mi/h
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Flat out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:21:16 | 13.1 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-03 7:07 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

2012-04-03 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4126405

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-04-03 8:35 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas
Great Job Kim!  Lots to be proud with that race including being honest about the mistake! 
2012-04-03 8:53 AM

DFW, Tejas
That's awesome that you went ahead and put the full miles in, I can't imagine doing three loops out on the tarmac without any crowds cheering.  I went back and looked at my Garmin plot to see where you were talking about and remember what a cluster it was down in that corner, way to tight of an area for three way traffic, I passed the finish shoot on my third lap and had to go back to get to it.
2012-04-03 10:11 AM

Extreme Veteran
Glad you made it to Texas for a race. Despite the circumstances, I hope you enjoyed the experience overall and leave with good memories.
2012-04-03 10:35 AM

Veteran

Great job putting in the miles!  I hope we can race together again some time! 

2012-04-03 3:53 PM

I enjoyed reading this report and I commend your honesty as well.  I looked at the map of the run course earlier and there were tons of twists and turns...very easy to make a mistake, but you did the distance and you put your body to the test.

Congrats.

2012-04-03 6:14 PM

Master
San Diego, CA
I am so impressed with your honesty and execution of the rest of your race.
2012-04-04 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4128243

Extreme Veteran
Houston
3 back to back runway loops - pure hell.  That section wasn't there last year and wasn't an improvement.  I am glad you figured it out.  It was a pleasure meeting you.  Avery was sick so as soon as my legs would work, we had to go.  I missed ya after the finish.
2012-04-08 9:01 AM

Melon Presser
You ROCKED it. One hell of a swim, fishie, and look, you PASSED a bunch of people on the bike (better than I usually do!), and you put together a great, HONEST run (and doubly honest after the fact, too, by writing them) ... this was a stellar race, and you were a stellar person about it.
2012-04-08 9:21 AM

Pro
Houston
Kim, I have no idea how you kept going after we talked, I would have been lost. And running the worst part of the course three times! You rock! It was lovely to finally meet you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed