General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountains-to-Sea Trail 50K Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountains-to-Sea Trail 50K Challenge - RunUltra Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wake Forest, North Carolina
United States
Bull City Running Company
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 09m 36s
Overall Rank = 42/74
Age Group = M50+
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

(Before going on, I write these reports now so that you can experience what I did during the event and perhaps learn from what I did right and what I did wrong...Enjoy!)

Lay out everything I need the for next day and pack my drop bag. Since temperatures were going to start in the mid 50s, I wouldn't really need any warm weather gear, not even arm warmers. I would just end up taking them off soon after I started. So, light bike jersey to start. I use them on these runs for the back pockets which I can store gels or other small items in. I carried an ankle brace in case taping wasn't doing the job on my left foot. Visor, sunglasses, calf compression sleeves, compression shorts, and toe socks (Injinjis)...all set. Now for the drop bag. I was going to pack a drink bottle with full carb Powerade in it but was afraid it would leak since it's not my normal bag. Decided to just use the race-provided carb drinks and water on the way back. Powerade zero going out for the fluid and electrolytes, plus Endurolytes as I needed them and gels just in case. Then since the bag was a bit smaller than my own bag I was going to use, I trimmed down the amount of stuff to put in the bag. I thought that I should change to my cooling tank top and have a small towel ready to wipe my face. I packed some basic first aid/pain relief items, extra socks, and extra shorts just in case. With all that done relaxed with a bit of TV. Interestingly, "Ironman" was playing on FX :). Well, off to bed and tried to get some sleep. Going to be a LONG day on Sunday.

My multiple alarms go off at around 4:30 AM. Race start was scheduled for 7 and it would take me about 1/2 hour to get to the park. Breakfast consisted of whole wheat bagel, blackberries, light spread of low fat peanut butter, coffee (the nectar of life!), and a bit of orange juice. The hotel had a free continental breakfast but I just grabbed the cup of OJ from there and then a banana. Didn't really want to deviate from my usual pre-race routine. Get to Blue Jay Point Park without issues and check in. Of course with sunrise around 7, it's still dark and I was actually initially concerned that there wouldn't be much light at the start of the race. Give the race folks my drop bag and head over to use the...um...facilities. Now, this is where they need to improve for future years. They were relying on the park restrooms which were limited for about 75 racers! Several folks actually used a construction Porta-john that was nearby. And due to lines that formed later, I forego any last uses. This wasn't exactly the best decision though.
Event warmup:

None really. Due to length of the run, figured I'd just start out slow and let the first few miles warm me up.
Run
  • 6h 09m 36s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 11m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, it's race time! The sun is just about to come up and it's a very nice looking morning. Perfect weather with temperatures in the mid-50s, not too much wind, and clearing skies! After welcoming remarks and last minute instructions, the race director lines us up behind a marked line on the soccer field, counts down to the start. I start my countdown timer just before the start so I have a reminder to drink every half hour. I've used this successfully during many of my long distance races. BUT, due to the battery malfunction, I had forgotten something here. More on that later. Just before this I struck up a conversation with a guy named Brad. This is his first 50K and actually, a good number of folks I met were doing their first ultra. Okay, 3-2-1...GO! And I'm off on my 4th ultra distance running event!

Now I noted before the race some pretty serious-looking ultra runners here! I mean fit and strong, gazelle-like looking guys and gals. While you never know what the day would bring, didn't really stand any sort of chance for an award here. They weren't giving out age group awards anyway, only top 3 and top 2 masters. It's okay, I don't really need medals or awards anyway. Goal today was to finish and hopefully finish better than at Fire on the Mountain. Anyway, all the serious folks took off like a shot! I settled back into my slow but steady running rhythm as it was going to be a long run and I wasn't going to rush things here by going out too fast. I also wasn't sure just yet whether my earlier injuries would crop up soon and wanted to get everything warmed up during the first part of the race. The first part here is somewhat wide and pretty nice with just wood chips lining the trail. Of course, that doesn't last as we're very soon into singletrack, roots, and rocks. It's here I have to give the race folks two big thumbs up...they clearly marked significant turns and big obstacles on the trail with white or orange marking paint. I was very grateful for the latter as usually tripping in the later part of along trail race is my biggest problem. The sun is coming up over Falls Lake and I sneak a glance at a very nice scene of the water through the trees with the morning sun. Man, it's just a great day for some trail running! Somewhere in this first part, a guy with ear buds, jogging warmup pants, blue shirt, and no water or anything, passes by me. I think, okay, guy out on his morning run just happens to be here with us. It is a public trail and other folks were bound to be on the trail here and there, especially near this park. But, not too long after this, I ended up passing him and I had to tap on his shoulder since he couldn't hear anything through the blaring ear buds. More about him a bit later.

Brad stuck with me for a little while, but then I went on ahead and he said his goodbyes. After a short while, I passed a guy named Marten and he decided to stick with me for quite a while actually. So, we shared histories. This is his first 50K as well and I was surprised to hear that he isn't really a runner, but does the Cross-Fit thing. And actually, a friend talked him into this but unfortunately couldn't make it for the actual race. So here he is and says he'll take stock of his condition at the turnaround point, decide if he'll finish or just call it a day then. He also has an advantage on me as many runners here probably do in that they train on this trail. And Marten said he lives right near one of the trail entry points. While there was a bit of jockeying for position early here, we've all pretty much settled in our respective areas of the pack and are starting to spread out a bit along the trail. I can also see and hear other runners as we round various bends in the course. One guy does pass me and Marten but really was only a tad faster as he slowly pulls away. Still, I keep him in sight as best I can just for someone to focus on and keep a bit of pace with.

We're about a half hour out and my timer goes off. But, as it's been cool out and I'm still comfortable, I decide to forego drinking at this time only since I hydrated pretty well prior and I don't want to have to feel like "going" in a little while. Now, I decided not to make the mistake I made at Fire on the Mountain 50K and not take advantage of water later and would take at least water at later rest stops whether I thought I needed it or not. The trail and course come out of the woods for short periods and we ran alongside the road then. I always welcomed these as I didn't have to concentrate on picking up my feet to get over rocks or roots. Our first one was nearly 2 miles out. I was so tempted to really pick up my pace but held myself back as there was still 29 miles to go! I see the guy who passed me and Marten up ahead along with a few other runners. Just kinda set my sights on them until we all headed back into the woods. I thought Marten fell behind here but he caught back up in a few minutes. Shortly thereafter, we reach Aid Station 1. This is unmanned at this point as it's also at the start of the 12 mile course runners. Right at the start I see BT friend Maria (maria527) cheering me on and taking pictures! We give each five as I pass by! It's always good to have some sort of support! Maria and I have corresponded via BT for a couple of years now and I learned about this race from her via BT. Decided to come on down and do the race after I read about it and so met her and her friend Pete in person yesterday for the first time. She would've been doing the 50K as well but she's had some ITB issues and so is attempting the 12 Mile race instead. Her and the rest of the 12 mile folks should be starting in just a few minutes after we pass by.

Not too long after Aid Station 1, Marten and I catch up to the guy who passed by earlier as he had stopped for a moment. His name is Mike and I noticed he's running in Vibrams (actually I found later so was Marten). More power to him but not for trail runs for me. I hit things far too often and would be afraid of breaking something. Now, about an hour out, I thought my countdown timer would go off again soon. But about 10 minutes later when it didn't I realized that because the battery was changed yesterday, that I hadn't changed the countdown settings to repeat every 30 minutes. Its default was just to countdown once. As I didn't want to stop to set this, I just thought I'd rely on checking my watch every now and then to see how much time had passed since the last time I took in my nutrition/hydration/electrolytes. Soon after we caught up to Mike, the fast 12 milers catch up to us. None of us want to interfere with their run and so we have to slow on the side and let them go by. I initially thought that this was an issue since we really were forced to slow and step aside letting these guys go by. I'm still a bit unsure but I'll explain why perhaps it's not as big a deal as I initially thought. Mike also takes the lead here once again and I'm just happy to have him in my sights as I'll use him to keep my pace going. We pass by a guy walking and he says he's already done - pulled a calf muscle, actually hearing it pop. Ow! Did that to a hamstring many years ago, so I sympathized. We enter a place with young pines and no roots and it is just pure pleasure to run on the pine needles! Mike likes this too and comments how nice the soft pine needles feel. Now, I mention to Mike about his Vibrams and trail running. And he replies that he's had a few busted toes! And then after landing from one of the wooden footbridges used for stream crossings, Mike apparently lands wrong and has a problem with one foot. He has to stop, sit, and assess the situation. Marten and I press on.

Somewhere in here, my right foot is telling me it's not particularly happy. The outside part has just a very minor twinge of discomfort when I land on it. And this seems to be getting a bit worse as I go along. Now I'm not sure if I adjusted my run so it wouldn't bother me or what but after a while, this was no longer a problem and didn't return for the remainder of the run.

Now a bit beyond 1 hour, we reach Aid Station 2. This one is back out on the road and we use the road to cross a causeway. Again, I take some water and also splash a bit on my face to wash away the salt that's already starting to accumulate off my face. Start back on the course. Marten took more time at the aid station and fell back a bit. But, not too much long after we reentered the woods, he caught back up. During this stretch, we pass by just a few folks with one thinking that we're 12 milers as I said there's still a lot of running to go. She said it wasn't really that big of a deal until I mentioned that I was a 50K person. Cheered me on after that as I pressed onward. More 12 milers pass by during this stretch.

It's around an hour and a half when we reach Aid Station 3. Again, water to drink, splash on face, and then over my head. Now, for some reason, it's here that I lose Marten...only to be replaced by Emily and Shelby. I had seen them the last time we entered the woods but didn't catch them there. They must've paused at this aid station a bit longer because now they're just ahead of me. I catch up to them and decide to match their pace. They hear me behind and tell me I can pass if I want. I declined, said I was a 50K runner, and they were setting a decent pace for me. However, we did have to slow and step aside a fair number of times on this stretch to let 12-milers go by. Found out that this is their first 50K as well though both have done marathons. I thought they were running partners but found out later they had just met up on the run here like I did with Marten, Mike, and Brad. I mentioned that this was my 4th ultra and they asked what to possibly expect. So, I talked about the return being the real test and that tiredness will probably lead to more tripping. You have to concentrate on picking up your feet more during the latter part. Also gave my thoughts on nutrition for this type of a run. They were kinda amazed that I wasn't taking carbs in for the first 3 hours. We talked backgrounds a bit here and there as well. During this section, passed by a pool of water on our right with the trail flanked by some pines....it was a picture perfect place. They really should've had photographers on different parts of this course because of the scenery and the runners moving though it. Kinda surprised that they didn't. By the way, speaking of tripping, both Shelby and Emily went down during this section. Neither really hurt and we were able to press on each time.

At 2 hours out, we reach Aid Station 4. Another causeway crossing and it's here that I left Emily and Shelby...or so I thought. More on than later in the report. Back in woods and now the 50K leaders have started their way back. A couple of the very fast ones might have come by just before AS4, but I can't remember exactly when I encountered them. At first, it's just a few. Then a few groups, mostly guys but I did note two women in one of the later groups. Geez, I still have about 2-3 miles to go. It's here I have first fall of the day (sigh). Fortunately, my outstretched hands land in soft pine needles as does my lower legs. Quickly back up on my feet and brush myself off. Kinda of a nuisance fall more than anything else, but figure those are the kind to have. Next, come to a fork in the trail, but the white arrow that the race crew has painted on the trail plus surveyor tape points the way to the left. I realize not too long afterwards that was the blue trail off to the right that I scoped out the day prior and where I will rejoin the MST trail after turning around for the way back. Not too long after this, I see I'm catching a few folks and in a few minutes, we reach the steps which lead us up to one of the roads prior to the 12 mile finish and the 50K turnaround point. And now volunteers are pointing the way at each major turn, washing away all thoughts on the confusion I thought we might have here from the previous days intel gathering. As we come to another road, I knew there were restrooms off to the left and paused for a few seconds. The restrooms were just a bit off course but my...um...condition was getting a bit dire here. Many of you probably know that this is an uncomfortable feeling and I had it for several miles now. I was also concerned there might be lines at the turnaround point where there were none here. Though I thought this might be a mistake, decided to press and use the facilities just ahead at the turn around point.

I come to the gravel road I met up with the day prior in just a bit. This is where I went left yesterday while scoping out the turnaround area and should've gone right. After going right today and then left, I see what the course instructions meant as they had roped off the side of the road for us after we crossed it. Right after this, we bear right onto a grassy mostly flat area, but it does have tire impressions making the area somewhat uneven in spots. There are many 12-milers now around me and I motion for them to get to the finish that's just up ahead. They do the same for me, but I let them know I'm a 50K runner and I'm just pausing here. And so, several of them press by me to finish. Now here I'm thinking that the 50K folks would go around the finish line, but there's no where else to go. As I'm going through it, numerous volunteers are there and ask my number so I can they retrieve my drop bag that's off to the right. I check my watch and I'm here in 2 hours, 56 minutes, which is about what I thought on time. With my drop bag in hand, a very thoughtful volunteer saw that I was a 50K runner and asked what could she do to help and what did I need? Now you have to understand when you've been running for three hours concentrating on not tripping over the numerous roots and rocks on a trail that you may be a bit out of sorts when trying to answer this question. She was very patient with me and I finally coherently said I need a bottle refill of the carb drink provided by the race after I drink what's left in my bottle and downed the remaining Powerade Zero. Took my bottle and then she essentially got the celebrating 12-milers out of my way and motioned me to the nutrition area which had oranges, bananas, and boiled potatoes while she filled the bottle. I wasn't sure about the boiled potato at first but did take some orange slices and a banana. She handed me my filled bottle while I was drinking some water. Then I said a boiled potato sounded great and she handed me one while dumping on some salt - ummmm! I said my thanks and moved out of the area. Another volunteer motioned that the 50K runners go down the hill here, but I said I wasn't quite done just yet and needed a few minutes. She thoroughly understood and let me be. Now, all around me there are 12-milers essentially in celebration with families and friends to congratulate them. I ignore all of this going on around me, grab my towel to wipe my face, and pull out my cooling tank top. Take off the bike jersey and put this on. It was nice to get rid of the wet top and exchange it for this dry one. Think I took one more water and orange slice, give my drop bag to the volunteers, and proceed on down the hill where the volunteer motioned for me to go earlier.

As I'm heading down this hill, I expected the celebration to continue and also to see a good number of folks here too. But, I leave the throng behind and the sounds of celebration and partying slowly fade away. Thankfully the porta johns are in sight and there's no one here. Yea!....With that business taken care of, I now start to head back. And now it's actually pretty quiet and I'm all alone. After seeing and being with people going out, this is very different though I'm used to this from my training runs. The contrast between earlier and now is just so striking though. So, I make my way to the blue trail that I was on yesterday and head back to rejoin the MST where that fork in the trail I mentioned was earlier. I'm still actually expecting to see people ahead of me or hear them from behind. But...no one joins me and I head off...alone.

I finally reach that fork where the blue trail meets up with the MST and see another 50K person in front of me heading to the turn around. She has a confused look as the arrow points left but I'm coming from the right. I tell her that she goes left to the turnaround as I'm on my way back. She gets it and off she goes. And now just like that, there are once again numerous amounts of people! All or nothing here. Most of these folks are the 12-milers well on their way to finishing. I tell them that they're doing a great job and are almost done. See a few more 50K folks too and tell them the turnaround is just up ahead. And remember the one guy I mentioned in the beginning in jogging pants and ear buds? Well, I see him among the 12 milers heading towards the turnaround point. Gotta give him credit for getting this far but he didn't look happy. I say word of encouragement for a while to groups of folks heading the other way. The groups start to thin out and my words of hope also end as the folks I meet later aren't really not that close anymore to the finish. They're closer to Aid Station 4 than the finish at this point. Now remember when I thought perhaps that starting the 12-milers an hour after the 50K start was a problem? Well, seeing all these 12-milers during this part made me reconsider. I think it would've been more of an issue to pass them going the same way than passing on the opposite side. So, maybe this is just the way it should be for later years too.

Just before Aid Station 6 (previously AS 4) on the way back I caught up to a guy who was walking. Then I noticed blood down his right leg from his knee as I passed. I slowed to ask if there was anything I could do for him and he said no. I told him I would give the folks at the aid station a heads up to give him some first aid. Came up out of the woods and running along the road again to Aid Station 6. It's here that I see Maria and Pete. While I was very glad to see them, I'm also a bit dismayed seeing them here at this point as it's pretty obvious that Maria is having problems. I kinda feel a bit bad for encouraging her to do this when I see her like this. I guess I didn't think it was that bad after she was able to run at least a half marathon a few weeks ago. More on that later. I essentially give a thumbs up and tell them I'll see them at the finish. Now, folks at all the aid stations were just super, BTW! As I got closer, they jumped to their feet and asked what I needed to which I first replied was some water. Then I let the main person there know about the guy behind me needed some first aid. They start preparing for him as he's actually gotten back into a run along this stretch. I grabbed some Fritos for the salt, orange slice, and banana. Think I might've taken a cup of the carb drink too along with the water. The guy with the bloodied leg is in as I start to leave.

Okay, back in the woods again. Though it's fairly shady along much of the trail, it had gotten warm. Hydration/electrolyte intake was going to start playing a bigger role in my performance for the rest of the run. So, it wasn't too long after I left the aid station that my left inner quad cramped up and I had to pause for a moment to work it out. I had actually just passed a guy but he passed me back when I had to pause to work out the cramp. Took in more hydration and electrolytes, plus I think I took a gel here as well. And while this was happening, who comes up from behind me but Emily! And she just zoomed on by and I lost track of her. I did see her very briefly after the next aid station I think, but didn't see her again until after I finished. So, now recovered from the cramp and refueled, I again pass the guy and continue onward. Not too long afterwards I start to see another woman ahead of me. She seems to be doing a walk/run strategy plus walking any hills. Hence why I'm catching up to her. I'm walking the steeper inclines but slowly jogging up lesser ones and of course running any other time. Catch and pass her and strike up a bit of a conversation (though I didn't ask her name). She asks if it was just her imagination or were there more hills on the way back? I replied that I didn't think so and she laughed a bit saying that I shoud've agreed with her that there were more hills instead of it being in her head. Then she mentioned her husband did the Umstead 100 yesterday (just outside of Raleigh) and that they were doing the six-day Transrockies running event later this year as I think she said they got a won an entry to the event. Wow! That's utterly cool but I personally would have second thoughts about doing a long multiday running event, even if you do switch off with a partner. I did the Ragnar Relay in 2010, but I only had to run 20 some miles in 3 stages with a good amount of rest inbetween over the course of really like a day. So, I'm rather in awe about this. Not too long afterwards and we come to Aid Station 7. The volunteers are cheering and saying we're looking good. I said I wish I was feeling good to which they gave a bit of a laugh. I confirmed that we were at around 21 miles, so 10 miles to go (9.5 to be exact I later saw). Grabbed water and carb drink. They said they had Coke but I can never stomach soda on a run. Grabbed Fritos again, orange slice, and banana. And off again back on the trail. The woman I caught up to stays there a bit longer than myself.

Another fairly lonely stretch until the next aid station. And now there were a lot of roots once again to cover. I had to constantly keep telling myself the pick up my feet, especially if I scraped something with the bottom of my shoe. I passed at least one other guy along this stretch, but he had headphones on as I recall and he didn't stick with me. So, never struck up a conversation and just pressed. I'm also pretty sure that I caught a glimpse of Emily here just after I entered the trail again. But, would not see her next until the finish. Somewhere I think just before reaching the road that would lead me to the next aid station, I had my second and thankfully last fall of the day. Outstretched hands landed in soft dirt and pine needles. And it was one of those falls where I was just casually thinking about something and then thinking "oh, okay, I'm falling now" with kinda a slow motion feeling. Nothing urgent or panicky about it, just acceptance. Weird. The good thing is that nothing cramped up like during my last 50K where my calves cramped badly when I fell during the last 7 miles of that run. So, get back up fairly quickly and resume. Just before the road, I see another runner ahead and as I get up on the road, I pass him and not too long after that, I'm at Aid Station 8. Once again, the voluneers are just super! Ask what do I need? I ask to refill my bottle with whatever carb drink they have and this time it's Heed. That's okay, Heed will do. Grab usual orange slice, Fritos, and banana. Splash water. One gal says I'm moving so fast that I have a pine needle stuck in my hair. Well, I sheepishly say that's more than likely from falling which gets a laugh out of all of them. Another gal has a USAT hat on and I say "nice hat!" She says she's done a sprint I think. Well, the guy that I just passed is coming in and it's time for me to go. 24.5 miles done and they tell me 6.5 miles left...."Enjoy your 10K!" one of them says as I head on down the trail once again. Yeah, right...a little more than 10K...piece of cake!

So, now it's time to pretty much start digging in mentally and hold everything together for a final 6+ miles. Still getting warmer too. Though I just had some nutrition about 15 minutes ago, I decided it would probably be a good idea to take another gel and this one has a good amount of caffeine with it as well. So, during this last 5 miles, I'm feeling pretty good though my legs are a bit sore. They're not really feeling like they're going to cramp any longer either. So, hopefully that means I'm hydrating/taking electrolytes enough that will hold for the remainder of the race. Picking up my feet well, but still maintaining focus so I don't trip on anything else. And up ahead probably about 5 minutes before reaching the last road part, there's another woman I'm catching up to. She's seems to be doing okay, but walking a bit more here and there than I am. Pass by her, ask her how she's doing, and say, "Gee, aren't we there yet?" Gets a weak laugh from her and she agrees with me. Not too long after I pass her, we come up to the last aid station. I know I got water and maybe some carb drink. Not sure what else at the moment as I didn't want to linger too long with only 3.5 miles left to go. Tara, the woman I recently passed, comes into the aid station and that's my cue to leave.

These last few miles are pretty much a blur as I write this. I do know that I was feeling good but anxious to finish. Really concentrating now as I just didn't want anymore falls and to keep running. One last road section and I see another runner ahead of me. Pick up my pace just slightly since this is a non-root area and pass him just before reentering the woods. There's a guy here who was supporting Tara that I saw earlier and he mentioned that I have under 2 miles to go! Yea! I do know that I'm getting close as more day walkers are out and about on the trail, several with dogs. Fortunately I didn't have any issues there and slow to a walk with dogs nearby as I've had some lunge at me when I've run by. So, I don't get too close and I also asked one person to hold their dog while I went by. I don't really care that they say they're friendly or isn't a bother. Dogs can easily go into chase mode and also lunge at you if you startle them. More on dog issues just a bit later. Anyway, I ask one person I pass if the park is close by. She's thinks for a second and says "Well, I guess you could say it was close by". Well, that didn't sound promising. Sure enough, I'm obviously still a bit of a ways out. Now I was being hopeful for a sub-6 hour time today. But at 5:57 and not really seeing much in the way of familiar sections that were close, it was apparent to me that wasn't going to happen today. So, try to be better than at FOTM 50K if I can. But finishing is the overall goal. Still more day walkers and now benches are appearing, so I'm definitely getting closer. I think I saw one other runner a good amount ahead of me rounding one of the bends, but it looked like I wasn't going to catch him if I was this close to the park. Now I see arrow signs, flags, and white spray arrows on the trail directing me to the finish. And at last, the wide wood chip part of the trail appears, so I'm in the park! I definitely hear music, round a corner, and I see a signage, flags, and a person at the end of the turn. That person motions yells "Runner" and motions me to the left where I see the Finish Line! I suppose I could've sprinted but I decided to just come in looking strong (and I felt pretty good too). Lots of cheering from folks there and I see Maria off to the side taking my picture as well as folks in front of me taking pictures! And...reach... the....FINISH!! Completed my 4th supported Ultra!
What would you do differently?:

Maintain my strength training according to the plan and also get in my training runs, not squander the time.
Post race
Warm down:

Maria and Pete greet me just after I finish and I motion that I need to get something to drink/eat. So, head on over to the food and drink area. Understandibly, I'm just a bit out of sorts. But, the one volunteer says there's homemade vegetable soup and I immediately go for that since it will probably have salt and a nice broth. Take in some Coke and water after that, plus a cookie and I think a banana. I then saw the wonderful volunteer who made sure I was taken care of at the turnaround and told her I REALLY appreciated how she took care of me. She said no problem and that she saw that for next year, they really should separate the 50K food/drink replenishment from the 12-mile finish food/drink area. While neither she nor I had problems getting me squared away in the midst of the 12 mile finishers, the 50K folks really needed an area to themselves so they were unhindered to prepare for the run back by the folks who were done. Then I saw Emily there and congratulated her on finishing, especially since she essentially blew my doors off on the way back. She said she just felt so good and she didn't want to waste that. Thought she should just go for it before she really ran out of steam. Seems like that didn't happen though. Her 2nd half time was 10 minutes faster than the first half! I asked where Shelby was at but she didn't know. She didn't run back with her. I saw Tara finish as well and congratulated her. Then the woman who was going to do the Transrockies event. Now for finishing, we got a nice pint glass.

They really should've been handing this out as you crossed the finish line, but I kinda just found out these were ours after I had already gotten food and drink. Pint glasses are good because I like practical finishing hardware as opposed to medals. They just sit on my desk. But a pint glass I can always use and also to remind me of the race whenever I put something refreshing in it. Also water bottles as well. Can always use water bottles. Talk about the race with Maria and Pete. Yeah, Maria just knew after a short time in the her race that it wasn't going to work and she decided to walk it instead. Pete stuck with her to provide support. But, she was still glad to be there to see me finish as I was for her and Pete being there to cheer me in. Oh, remember what I said about dogs before? Found out that a pitbull had bitten one of the runners as he passed by!! Incredible and I think it was fairly close to the finish too! Saw him a bit later and seemed okay, relatively speaking. After we were done taking a few pictures, I then saw Brad finish and congratulated him. Then saw Marten and Shelby finish as well and congratulated them both. We then headed on over to Pete's truck where he had some refreshing cold beer waiting. Got out of my shoes, socks, removed tape, and calve sleeves. That felt so good! Into my sandals to enjoy a cold one with Maria and Pete as we chatted some more. Alas, it was soon time to go our separate ways and I had a long drive ahead of me too. It sure was great to meet and share the experience with Maria and Pete, especially with Maria after only corresponding via Facebook and Beginner Triathlete for the last couple of years.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Age...;) Well, probably a bit of that as I'm just really started to run in ultras for real in 2010. I'm pretty cautious too as I don't like tripping and falling, potentially getting injured. But, not following my strength training plan and then little soft tissue injuries about a week and a half before the race didn't help.

Event comments:

I really did like this trail race! It wasn't as technical as a few others I've been on and quite different than FOTM 50K without all the numerous stream crossings. There were still roots, rocks, and elevation changes to deal with but overall a decent trail and I could see why it would be fast for those who can train on it here. Although this was the inaugural year for the 50K, the race crew got a good amount right with only a few improvements I could see. There wasn't a whole lot of activities afterwards though and as I wrote, I kinda happened to find out that the pint glasses were being given to the finishers. No one handed me one after I finished like they did at the National Duathlon Championships. Good thing I found them. But, super volunteer support, trail markings (did hear someone got lost but don't see how), and race staff plus good weather made this an enjoyable event. An added bonus was sharing it with good friends!

Pics below:
- Maria snapped a pic of me finishing
- Me feeding my face to recover from the run
- Pete took a pic of me and Maria after my finish
- Tailgate party: Maria and me enjoying some cold ones
- Maria and Pete

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-02-29 12:00 AM
Running
06:09:36 | 31.07 miles | 11m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 42/74
Performance: Good
Note that there were no real Age Groups nor AG awards. Top 3 finishers in each Gender and also top 2 finishers in Masters got awards. So, just listing the AG from official results. Supposedly five 50+ Men finished but "Donna" was probably listed incorrectly.
Course: An out and back from Blue Jay Point County Park to Falls Lake Dam area mostly along a 16 mile section of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail. The trail is rolling terrain with no significant climbs or descents nor stream crossings. Footbridges provided across nearly all stream crossings. There is also a 12 Mile run in conjunction with the 50K. The 12 Mile trail runners start 3.8 miles into the 50K course and start an hour later.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-03 8:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: Mountains-to-Sea Trail 50K Challenge

2012-04-03 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4128443

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: RE: Mountains-to-Sea Trail 50K Challenge
Congratulations. Great write-up.
2012-04-06 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Awesome job out there Dave!  But we need to get you up with technology!  The detailed race reports are great, but they leave me curious about lap data, elevation data, and even HR by lap. 

My Garmin is set to lap every mile so that when I download it I know what my pace was during each mile of the race.  I like this function on long runs so I can see my pace changes throughout the run; where I slowed, where I got a second wind etc...

The elevation out there was not near as bad as I expected and is a FAR cry from what I endured at SweetH2O.  As you know I was totally heart-broken at not getting to run the 50K with you, but hope to return next year.  I really wanted to PR over SweetH2O, but that was not meant to be this year.

It was GREAT to meet you for dinner and seeing you on the course was very motivating.  I felt like I got to run the race through you! 

Oh, and as far as I am concerned, that finish qualifies as an AG award winner!  Congrats!!!

2012-04-06 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4133765

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Maria527 - 2012-04-06 9:51 AM

Awesome job out there Dave!  But we need to get you up with technology!  The detailed race reports are great, but they leave me curious about lap data, elevation data, and even HR by lap. 

My Garmin is set to lap every mile so that when I download it I know what my pace was during each mile of the race.  I like this function on long runs so I can see my pace changes throughout the run; where I slowed, where I got a second wind etc...

The elevation out there was not near as bad as I expected and is a FAR cry from what I endured at SweetH2O.  As you know I was totally heart-broken at not getting to run the 50K with you, but hope to return next year.  I really wanted to PR over SweetH2O, but that was not meant to be this year.

It was GREAT to meet you for dinner and seeing you on the course was very motivating.  I felt like I got to run the race through you! 

Oh, and as far as I am concerned, that finish qualifies as an AG award winner!  Congrats!!!

Thanks! Hey if you can hook me up with a sponsor that will provide the gadgets, that'd be great! Perhaps in a few years when I have a bit more disposable income. It's going to be enough to try and update my HR monitor this year as the present one is just useless now. And of course it was just super to meet you and Pete, especially you after corresponding via BT and FB these past couple of years! Perhaps another year we'll get to be in an event where I know you'll give me a "run" for my money . Be talkin' to ya!
2012-04-06 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4128453

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
@swiss tri - Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

Edited by sbrdave 2012-04-06 10:50 AM
2012-04-08 7:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida

Good job Dave.  Nothing like a beautiful trail run.  I did the shorter version of this run the first year they had it and also enjoyed it very much.  The Raleigh area has some wonderful trails.  The trails here in Maryland are just a bit too technical for my liking.  Give me a nice gentle pine covered trail along a stream and life doesn't get any better!

Now it's time to get that IM training plan put together!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountains-to-Sea Trail 50K Challenge Rss Feed