Hartford Marathon Foundation
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 3s
Overall Rank = 168/217
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

The race was to start at 7:30 a.m. I got my gear ready the night before. Had the best intentions of getting up early enough to have a good breakfast with enough time to digest. Amazing how quickly the time goes by in the morning :). I ended up feeling really pressed for time and not really having enough time to finish my breakfast of peanut butter sandwich and coffee.
Event warmup:

Left the house at 6:35 when I had intended to be at the race at 6:30 when the transition area opened for athlete setup. Got to the race at about 7:05. Set up my bike and gear in the transition area which was fairly simple and well organized. The ground was a bit soggy in the transition coral after days of rain in the northeast.

I had to go to the bathroom at this point so spent the bulk of my warmup standing in the portolet line. They definately need more units next time.
Run
  • 25m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

The problem with the first run in this type of race is that you are thinking about the transition to the bike and the stress of that effects your run. I think I did well with the run and probably would do the same way again.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

I definately took too much time in the transition area. Took me too long to get oriented and get my helmet and gloves on. Struggled with the shoes and just generally spent too much time.

Had to run the bike up a short but very steep grass hill which was killer after the run. Then I had trouble clipping in to my pedals when I mounted the bike. Once I got clipped in though, I was good to go.

What would you do differently?:

The only thing I would do differenty with the cycling part of the race is to be faster in the transition and practice more with clipping into the pedals. I feel I rode my bike really well. I blew by a lot of people in the first few miles and rode the last part of the route pretty much alone. I felt like I was really zen with the bike in terms of gearing and sticking with a comfortable cadence so I could power through the entire ride.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 58s
  • 17.4 miles
  • 15.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Really enjoyed the ride. Felt strong and in control for the entire ride. Passed everyone in my immediate way and made up a lot of time.

Nothing really. Will work on my overall speed and cadence for a faster time next year. Will hope to get more proficient at clipping in at the start.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Running down the short grassy hill after dismount was quite a trip. Trying not to fall over the bike was my main priority. I feel I handled it pretty well for the first time. It was hard to run in the cleated shoes. Would consider taking them off for the run down the hill, but it was quite wet and muddy so not sure how that would go.

I feel I should have handled this transition much faster. Took me too long to get my cycling shoes off. Kept fiddling with the realease where it should have just been really easy. Will practice that for next time.

Not sure. Probably did okay considering my first time ever dealing with transition. I will work on getting shoes and helmet and gloves off more quickly and figuring out if shoes should come off more quickly.
Run
  • 29m 21s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The second run was really tough due to the development of a really painful cramp in my right side. It took me the first lap to feel comfortable with running again after the ride and then the cramp develped and forced me to really slow down and even walk a bit. This cost me a 3rd place age group placing for sure.

Not sure what to do to avoid this situation. I got a very similiar cramp like this in the Hartford Half Mari last year in mile 10 which caused me a great deal of pain and cost me a lot of time in the race. I am wondering if it is the gels that cause this and not getting enough water with them.
Post race
Warm down:

My warm-down consisted of trying to get my breathing under control and dealing with the pain in my abdomen. I am still feeling some tenderness in that area today.

Once I got myself together, I did a little bit of stretching, got a bagle, guzzled down a gatorade and some water and had fun at the post race party.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cramp in my abdomen in the second 5k definately hindered my performance at that point.

Event comments:

Hartford Marathon always puts on a good race. I will definately do this race again next year and hope to place in my age group.

Last updated: 2006-05-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:38 | 03.11 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 181/217
Performance: Good
Course: Course was a double loop with a hill at the end of each loop. I tried to go easy on this first run. No big kick at the end and just a nice steady pace.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
01:07:58 | 17.4 miles | 15.36 mile/hr
Overall: 149/217
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Course is quite hilly and pretty challenging. The hardest part was at the beginning on Hebron Ave. which is a very long slow grade or series of grades that lasts for a few miles. I passed a lot of people on this part of the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:21 | 03.11 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Overall: 191/217
Performance: Bad
Course: same course again
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-22 6:09 AM

User image

Master
CT
Subject: Shamrock Duathlon

2006-05-22 6:32 AM
in reply to: #429847

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: Shamrock Duathlon
Nice work out there, Pam! Sorry I didn't see you.

Those transitions can be tricky but you get used to them.
2006-05-22 6:42 AM
in reply to: #429862

User image

Master
CT
CptnJackSparrow - 2006-05-22 6:32 AM

Nice work out there, Pam! Sorry I didn't see you.

Those transitions can be tricky but you get used to them.

Hey Rob, thanks!

Were you there?

I am just really glad the weather was as perfect as it was.

The transitions I can work on. The side stitch is what really hurt my performance in the end.

I did pretty much what I thought I would do though give or take a couple of minutes.

I can't wait to do it again

2006-05-22 6:55 AM

Expert
Great job out there...too bad we weren't a little more organized in our BT gathering as it would have been nice to meet you. Great race and it was nice to have perfect weather.

Mark
2006-05-22 6:59 AM
in reply to: #429882

User image

Master
CT
Hi Mark,
That was what I was thinking. I wasnt sure any of the BT'ers were actually there. I was just reading Rob's race report so I see that quite a few were there. I just don't know anyone that well enough to recognize them.

I look forward to meeting you next time.

Pam
2006-05-22 7:00 AM
in reply to: #429868

User image

Master
CT
Hey Rob,
Was just reading your race report and see that you were indeed "there"—along with a bunch of other BTers. I guess I managed to miss all of you.

Nice race!

2006-05-22 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
I saw you, even if you didn't see me . Sucks about the cramp, but great race anyway!
2006-05-22 7:09 AM
in reply to: #429898

User image

Master
CT
Hey Polly,
I didnt see you! But, glad you were there. Was a beautiful morning and a really fun event. You have to jump in next year.
Thanks!
Pam
2006-05-22 7:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Northeast
Agree on the BT gathering issue - I didn't know many were there, but would have been nice to meet folks.

Nice racing everyone!
2006-05-22 3:37 PM
in reply to: #429905

Expert
Joe...it looks like we had a BT gathering and didn't even know it. You finished about 30 seconds behind me and it looks like you were only a few seconds behind me off the bike...great race

Mark
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shamrock Duathlon Rss Feed