General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Triathlons, but not doing so well the training Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-07 8:00 AM

User image

Subject: New to Triathlons, but not doing so well the training

I quit smoking about 4 years ago, and started training for a marathon; I trained for about 6 months and ran the marathon. I have run several marathons and mini-marathons over the last 3 years. Then, I did a speech on an Iron Man Challenge about 3 years ago in my freshman year of college (I started college late.) I am now 32 years old, said "I've have had enough of the running, and I'm going to train for a Iron Man." I started this week and I am making most of the training, having a hard time with the swim, and keeping in one HR zone. The biking  and the running is is going just fine, I'm reading a lot of the articles and learning a lot about the nutrition. Will the swimming just hit me all at once? Then I get the  right stroke, or what is a good way to learn this. I push my self every time I swim, and I like to swim, I just am unable to swim more than 100 yards with out stopping. 

Thanks,

James

2012-04-07 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4135322

User image

Subject: RE: New to Triathlons, but not doing so well the training
I also have planed a few sprints along the way of the training.
2012-04-07 10:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine, California
5 weeks ago I could barely get down the lane and back without dying.  Two days ago, I swam 1000yards without stopping, and could have kept going but I was out of time and needed to stop.  It's more of getting form and breathing down, and getting comfortable in the water.  Try the 0 to 1650 plan.  I finished week 3 and then did my 1000 yard swim with no problem.  
2012-04-07 10:49 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Have you thought about lessons?? I think that they were the best investment I've made in triathlon...Especially if you're planning on doing an Ironman. With the amount of practice you're putting in, I'd say that time will be best spent swimming efficiently and not developing bad habits. You know the saying, "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"...
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Triathlons, but not doing so well the training Rss Feed