United States
39F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 52s
Overall Rank = 80/258
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/21
Pre-race routine:

Today is Passover so that meant last night was a heavy family meal. It also meant breakfast was not my usual oatmeal and banana - I had matzoh and margarine. Got up very early so I had time to let Passover pass-through me!

Spent a lot of time trying to figure out clothing, it was mid 30's and windy.
Event warmup:

I was a little late so warmup was walking the bike up a long hill to transition and packet pickup. Ran into friends and spent the time talking rather than jogging.
Run
  • 23m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a hard time with the cold, I had not warmed up and it took a while to get into rhythm. Once I did I was running around 7:10-7:15, which felt hard but good. Only problem there was I am a distance runner so by the time I was warmed up and in gear it was over!

What would you do differently?:

Warm up before the race. This was a very slow 5k, and even slower than my tempo runs. Also I need to run more. I was too reliant on being an experienced runner to get me through the race. Most of the past couple months have been spent learning to swim, which I needed to do, but I paid for it today.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Yeah, I need to practice transitions. I think I was waiting for pizza delivery or something. My friend who was doing race photography started yelling at me "Come on, Brian, what the **** are you doing?" I caught serious flack about that afterwards.

Order from a faster deliver place? I need to practice transitions, I really haven't and I looked awful, and have the pictures to prove it. Also next time I put the race wheels on check to make sure the brake releases are put back down. I got about 50 feet and realized no brakes!
Bike
  • 49m 35s
  • 21 kms
  • 25.41 km/hr
Comments:

This was my first race with the new bike (P2). It was also the first time I rode with a wheel cover. I've only ridden the bike outdoors half a dozen times, so was a little nervous about my ability to get and stay aero and be in control.

I was planning to ride hard and see how I did. The course can be tough - last year I averaged 15.4mph on my old road bike. The P2 is a great bike and I was able to do more passing than being passed. I was in aero most of the course except for the really tough hills where I had to stand.

Also I have been training with power and using TrainerRoad and I am definitely stronger.

Train on bigger hills. Repeat often. Took some chances with new equipment on race day but it was no issue. Overall I totally enjoyed the bike and had a great time out there.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

No issues with T2. Felt good not to be yelled at.

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I could feel the effects of pushing hard on the bike on the run out. It was a slow start. When the Easter Bunny passed me I knew I better get it together and HTFU. Also whoever borrowed my legs in T2, I'd like them back, please.

Finished strong though, had energy to sprint to the end. There's a pic of me smiling so I must have been enjoying myself.

See first run comments, x2. Conditioning needs to be better for running off the bike, it took too long to get my legs back under me. I need to run some standalone 5k's to get used to the short distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Catching up with everyone else and seeing how they did. Walked around for a while. Long walk back to the car with the bike

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running, of all things. I need to up my weekly mileage and then add back the speedwork. And warm up properly, of course. And more hill workouts. But isn't train harder always the answer to this question?

Event comments:

This is a beautiful park and the organizers do a great job. Pulling into the parking lot and seeing the sun coming over the lake is great for getting the blood flowing, and the first race of the year is always exciting. Everyone is checking out each others bikes and being extra friendly.

I was hoping to be a little faster, but that's life. I was about a minute slower than I thought I'd be for each of the runs, but I was very happy with the bike. T1 was so bad I had emails from my friends about it afterwards. With friends like this...

The reality is that I was 23 minutes faster than I was last year, so that is a huge improvement. Since this is the first regional event of the year a lot of fast people show up, and I finished top third, so I'm happy. The difference between third AG and my time was 3 minutes, which means I'm within striking distance.

The highlight of the race was getting chicked while I was finally off the hills and hammering on the bike at 27mph, and then afterwards finding out she was a friend of a friend competing in the elite category.

I got to meet my Cervelo 'share the ride' buddy for the first time after about 50 emails. Vince, congrats on your first duathlon, you did really well!

With all the new Cervelo's out there I should have thanked the couple who racked next to each other at the end and had matching fluorescent green transition mats!

Last updated: 2012-04-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:27 | 03.11 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 95/258
Performance: Below average
Course: 5k race through a national park, mostly paved but some unpaved, lots of turns and some hills. Narrow paths and 2-way traffic for parts, but the woods and lake were nice scenery.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:02
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:49:35 | 21 kms | 25.41 km/hr
Overall: 58/258
Performance: Good
Average watts 170. HR average 143.
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Rolling hill course, some flats, some hills were pretty steep. Wind was blowing harder across the bridges. Most of the course was open to traffic, but the state troopers were out in force. Thanks guys!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:29 | 03.11 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Overall: 95/258
Performance: Average
Course: Same as the first course, except I think someone raised the hills a little bit.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-07 4:35 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Doylestown Duathlon

2012-04-07 6:03 PM
in reply to: #4135756

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Doylestown Duathlon
Good work on the first race of the season. And I guess it's a mark of progress that you placed higher on the bike than on the run. Add in the old running legs, and the new swim form, and you'll be laughing.
2012-04-07 8:42 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
nice job on the race.  It's good to figure out early in the season what to work on.
2012-04-12 3:51 PM

User image

It was great to meet you as well. I'll see you next month at Devilman!

Edited by vbellino 2012-04-12 3:53 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Doylestown Duathlon Rss Feed