The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 15s
Overall Rank = 146/1350
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 27/199
Pre-race routine:

Arrived Sat. for registration and bike check-in. Took a 15min spin on the bike over the first section of the course and did some light jogging just to "feel out" my leg which had been bothering me over the last 1-1/2 weeks. It was still a little sore, but I knew I could run on it. My wife & kids made the trip with me and we all met my sister for a pasta dinner. Back to the hotel and in bed by 8:30.

Slept poorly and had some chills over the night. My RHR was very elevated in the morning when I got up (@3:45). But I felt better after I ate (2 servings of instant oatmeal, Ensure, Clif bar and 2 cups of coffee) and took a couple ibuprofen. Left the hotel @5:45 and by 6:00 I was setting up my transition area.
Event warmup:

Went for about a 10min run and did a few short pick-ups thrown in. Hit the restrooms a couple times (managed to find some the masses had missed so lines weren't bad) and walked over towards the swim start.

Finally saw my sister and wished her luck on her race (she went off about an hour after me). Got my round of good luck wishes from my family and they called the red caps into the water.
Swim
  • 24m 23s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Got into the water @3min or so before the start. Made my way out so that I'd be toward the inside for the turns and got towards the front. Last year I was too cautious in placing myself and found myself in log-jams early on with slower swimmers in front of me.

This was the most violent start I've experienced so far. Made me imagine what it must be like in an IM swim with about 10x the number of swimmers. Lots of banging legs and arms, but I felt like I dealt with all that OK. I just tried to breath to whichever side I seemed less likely to take an arm to the face and take it easy while benefitting from the draft that was there. After the first turn (a few 100m probably), things opened up a bit and by the second turn there were only a few swimmers near me--partly because I had veered a bit too far towards the inside.

I was able to catch a draft a couple times along the way, but either I wasn't able to hold my line or they weren't--and I wasn't always able to tell which :). So most of the return leg I was swimming on my own. This was actually fine with me as I was able to focus on getting nice, relaxed long strokes. And after the navigation issues in the middle of the swim, I did much better towards the latter part as well.

Before I knew it, the finish was in sight and I was getting out of the water. Beat my goal time of 25:00 as well!
What would you do differently?:

I was pleased with the swim overall and felt like my effort was right about where I wanted it to be (solid, but not too hard of an effort).

I'd still like to get a little better at drafting. Each race I feel like I'm making some headway, but there just aren't many opportunities to practice this outside of the few races that I do.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Going through T1 at Columbia takes you uphill, so I tried not to run too hard and keep my HR controlled. Saw my family cheering me on as I entered.

My suit came off pretty easily. Had to pull the last bit off my ankles, but did it all while standing. Got my socks on (still haven't ventured into the sockless world) and slipped into my shoes (also haven't tried to keep them clipped-in either). Helmet & sunglasses on, tossed Gu packets into jersey. Briefly debated grabbing my arm warmers as it had been 45F when I arrived that morning, but quickly decided it wasn't worth it (good decision) and headed out.

As I left transition, I heard someone asking if I was JohnnyKay. My first reaction was that it must be someone from my rowing days in college. Duh! Of course it was someone from BT--Daremo. Thanks, Rick!

I could get a little faster without the socks and doing the shoes on pedals thing, but this transition went very smoothly for me.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 38s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 20.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Once on the bike and out into the street, I got my shoes tightened up and began to settle into my pace. There was a little wind, but not nearly as much as when I rode on the course the day before so I thought I had a good shot at my goal time of 1:10.

I was making good progress, passing a few from my AG along the way. I did see a couple pass me from my AG eventually, but mostly I was riding around the Masters wave from ahead of us.

Around half-way I realized I wasn't quite at the pace I was expecting. Not sure if it was the hills, some wind or just the effects of the swim beforehand, but I wasn't about to push it just to hit my goal because I knew the run was going to be tough regardless.

Then all of a sudden my seat popped and tipped forward. I wasn't sure what was going on, but realized that my seat clamp was not holding my saddle up anymore. I was forced so shift back on the saddle for the rest of the ride. This made it difficult to maintain steady power, but I doubt it cost me a lot of time either. I was able to manage OK.

Saw my sister as I got towards the end of my ride and knew she must have done pretty well on her swim too. About 1mi from the end of the ride, my chain dropped but I got it back on and was going again in about 15sec. As I got towards the finish, I got my feet out and rode with them on top of the shoes.

On the ride, I finished 1 bottle of Gu2O and started a bottle of Gatorade Endurance I picked up (maybe had 1 8 oz serving). Also took 2 Gu gels--1 about 15-20min into the ride and another after about 1hr.

Despite a couple of surprises on the ride, I don't think they cost me much time overall--no more than a minute I'd guess. And while I was short of my goal time, I felt the ride went pretty well for where I'm at right now. So if I want to go 1:10 or better, I guess I better ride more. :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Hopped off the bike at the dismount and began running into T2 (downhill at Columbia). Unfortunately, one of my shoes caught the ground and fell off. So I had to turn and climb back up the hill to retrieve it. Had a little trouble getting my handlebars on the rack (was afraid to try the saddle since I didn't know if it would hold the bike), but otherwise transition was fine.

Got running shoes on and turned on the Polar footpod. Grabbed my hat with my race belt in it and put them on as I headed out.

My family was there cheering me on again and I told them I'd see them soon. :)

Hold the back of my bike up to keep the shoes from hitting the ground.
Run
  • 47m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good at the start of the run and took the first few short hills well. I was trying to take something to drink at each stop--at first running through them, but eventually walking a few steps to make sure I got the fluids down.

About half-way through the run, I was really feeling the impact of the hills and it was getting warmer as well (felt bad for those starting in later waves). There was no noticeable pain in my leg, but I did have a "hot spot" on my heel which was annoying (figured my sock must have been folded and I was getting a blister but amazingly there was nothing there after the race). I had to walk on parts of the last few hills--actually felt that was more effective than shuffling on them.

The hardest part mentally was just before the 6mi mark as the run came across the top of the lake before turning for the finish. This was where I felt the strongest winds of the day and it just felt like Mother Nature was laughing in my face as I struggled to maintain my pace--didn't have the strength to muster up any kind of sprint for the line.

Over the last 1/4mi there was nothing else for me except looking for the finish. I even missed my family cheering me this time, but found them shortly after crossing the line.

I was short of my 45:00 goal, but admittedly this was an aggressive target for me on a course like this. I was a little disappointed I had to walk a little on the hills, but I got over it pretty fast. Finished my first oly on a tough course in under 2:30. Hard to be real disappointed. :)

Still need to develop more running strength. Much of my running is on fairly hilly terrain, so I felt I would be prepared for this run. But it still ground me down.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit, grabbed some food & drink and ran into a few BTers--Daremo again (who I saw right at the finish), wyecrab, witteb, and kleinrider. Nice to meet each of you!

Then got to watch my sister finish her race about an hour later. She did very well again--top 10 in her AG.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Despite a few mechanical issues on the bike and coming into the race with a sore leg, I don't think they had a huge impact on my overall time. The limitations I have are simply the amount of training so far. If I can continue to build my endurance and strength, I will be faster.

One thing I need to investigate further is hydration. I felt like I had done a good job coming into the race. And took in about what I had planned during. But afterwards I drank a ton and didn't have any real urge to pee until about 6hrs after the race! (I did force myself to go once about 2hrs after and had a small amount but I had already drank about 3 bottles of Gatorade and some water by then.) I don't know if this is "normal" or if I'm getting too dehydrated and impacting my running some.

Event comments:

This is a very well run race. The course is challenging but fun. And the venue is one of the best I have seen for spectators to enjoy the day as well. Anyone in the region should consider doing this race.

Last updated: 2005-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:23 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 39/199
Overall: 153/1350
Performance: Good
Suit: Full westuit
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangular course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:38 | 25.48 miles | 20.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/199
Overall: 110/1350
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop course with constant rollers and a few short hills thrown in for good measure.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:32 | 06.21 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 62/199
Overall: 252/1350
Performance: Average
Course: The defining element of Columbia. This is a very challenging course with hills throughout, especially in the middle section.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-22 9:57 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2006-05-22 10:17 AM
in reply to: #430133

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
Congrats again on the great time!

The broken seat clamp probably cost you more than you think. Having to expend energy staying level probably put a lot of undue stress on your groin muscles and quads.

Still, all in all a great race. Sub 2:30 at Columbia is an awesome time!
2006-05-22 10:26 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Good job Johnny. Nice report too. I'd love sub 8 min miles!
2006-05-22 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
JohnnyKay great race!!! I agree i am sure the bike trouble hurt you more than you think.  Great job!!  Nice to meet you as well
2006-05-22 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Very nice to meet you, Johnny.  Congrats on a great race.
2006-05-22 1:23 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Nice race John in spite of the technical bike difficulties!  Very fast and impressive!  glad you had a good race

2006-05-22 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Great race....sounds like you did a super job of not letting the mechanical problems affect your day.  Nice job!
2006-05-22 3:13 PM

Pro
yep,

Nice job at your time.  Trust me I understand your problems with the long straight away on the lake near mile 6.  The wind is crazy strong!

congrats though 

2006-05-22 6:31 PM

User image

Regular
King George, VA

Congrats on your first Oly!  And sub 2:30 to boot!!  Sorry I didn't try to hook up with some fellow BT'ers, but life's been pretty busy for me lately!

I had the opposite hydration issue as you - I walked and drank a water and gatoraid at each station - I stopped and used a Port-a-John at least a half dozen times before I left the park (after the presentations).

Congrats, again, and keep up the great work!

jlk

2006-05-22 9:10 PM

Champion
Nice race, and good run split too even with the heat and the little bit of walking.  Sounds like a good time!!
2006-05-23 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
Great job, John! Looks to me like your training up to this point has been just fine!

2006-05-23 7:19 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Awesome job my friend in particular after facing a bike difficulty which I also think cost you more than you think. Still you posted a great performance and that’s all that matters. Keep up with the good work and most important having fun!

CONGRATS!

2006-05-23 12:08 PM
in reply to: #431101

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Way to go, John.

Man, you've had way more than your share of bike breakdowns!

I'm glad your leg healed in time.  Great run. 

2006-05-23 1:05 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.  You may all be right about losing more time than I thought on the bike--or at least expending more effort in an altered position.

But most importantly, I am having a lot of FUN doing this.  The people, the outdoors, the competition.  I'm loving all of it.  And the people of BT have been a great contribution to my experience.  So thanks!

2006-05-25 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
great race...and top 20% in that tough AG. well done. I can't believe this was your first oly. with all your training and long races (runs that is) i just kinda assumed you had done an oly. congrats!
2006-05-25 1:57 PM
in reply to: #434319

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

konichiwa - 2006-05-25 1:53 PM great race...and top 20% in that tough AG. well done. I can't believe this was your first oly. with all your training and long races (runs that is) i just kinda assumed you had done an oly. congrats!

Thanks.  My bike crapped out last year at Philly and I DNF'd.  Seems my bike is not a fan of the distance.

2006-05-25 2:01 PM
in reply to: #434324

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
ah that's right. and that was after a flat at DMan too. crazy!
2006-05-25 2:02 PM
in reply to: #434324

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
you're bike prob prefers 1/2IM and IM
2006-05-25 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
San Diego
Spectacular job man. You'll smash your OLY PR at Philly. Hope to meet you there.
2006-05-25 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Hey man - way to get around the course!  All three times are excellent and so were both Ts!  Dang - I'm going for a run!

GREAT JOB!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed