General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle Sore Help - Please! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-14 5:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Subject: Saddle Sore Help - Please!

Hey All,

Hoping you can help me out. The past couple weeks I've been dealing with a saddle sore that's been getting worse and worse. I started using chamois cream (DZNuts Bliss), which hasn't helped much.

After a very painful ride today I went to the doctor. Unfortunately the person I saw was obviously not an athlete nor into sports medicine. His recommendation was hot soaks and two weeks off the bike. I am training for IMLP and cycling is by far my weak event, so this is not really an option.

What I'm hoping for is some suggestions on how to keep riding without making it worse, at the very least. Healing it up would be ideal, of course.

Here's the details without submitting you all to pictures (heh):

Location: Right over my left sitz bone - my saddle hits me in exactly the right spots.

Size:1.5 cm per the doctor

Type: It's a bump filled with blood - I basically ruptured some vesicles. It's completely subcutaneous - the actual skin is just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I find biking painful enough with these runner's legs! LOL.

2012-04-14 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4150826

User image

Subject: RE: Saddle Sore Help - Please!
No pun intended, that is such a pain in the arse. When that happens to me, I have to get that top layer of skin dried out ASAP so it will just "go" on it's own. I had an issue once with a similar (not saddle) sore that I tried to drain before its time, ended up with a nasty infection. I often use witch hazel after rides, seems to dry it out nicely. If you have to be on the bike, which I understand, go get some Boil Ease or equivalent from your cvs. The added pressure from riding may help it along. Good luck with it, and don't forget the neosporin if it does go
2012-04-14 5:53 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Biggest thing it to not let it get infected.  Ask if the doc will drain it. I've been plagued with saddles sores the last year. 

Be sure your saddle and fit are right, use lots of lube.  Try an anitbiotic ointment.  That is messy but actually works really well.  Be sure you are not irritating it with anything off the bike (ie clothing etc)  With the location if you can stay aero more that may take pressure off the involved area.  Another reccomendation is a product called calmoseptine.    Some walgreens carry it but it is SUPER hard to find in the store.  You can also buy it off amazon.com.  Love the stuff and its helped me a lot.  The butt butter, chamois cremem etc I found worthless if not more irritating.  Body glide works much better. 

2012-04-14 6:04 PM
in reply to: #4150864

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Thanks guys!

Socks - nothing to drain, unfortunately. That's the main reason I went in the first place- was hoping that would be the fix.

As an update, I believe I found the root of the problem - a crease in my saddle (Terry FalconX) right where the sore is. Not surprising - I had the same problem (but not as bad) on my road bike last year and turned out to be the same cause.

So in addition to caring for the sore while continuing to ride, I have a second question:

I'm obviously going to buy a replacement, but how the heck do I get a $100 saddle to last more than a year without it creasing? This is the second time a saddle of this age has had this problem, and I'm NOT a high-volume rider. I'm using Terry, so I'm not cheaping out either.  Is there some "saddle care and feeding" I don't know about?

2012-04-14 6:50 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Call Terry and ask them.

Saddle I have been riding has over 12,000 miles on it and going strong.

Hope things heal up quickly.

Listen to Sue 'socks' also try to keep it breathing when not cycling so no undies and loose clothes.

2012-04-14 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4150880

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
PinkPrincess - 2012-04-14 6:04 PM

Thanks guys!

Socks - nothing to drain, unfortunately. That's the main reason I went in the first place- was hoping that would be the fix.

As an update, I believe I found the root of the problem - a crease in my saddle (Terry FalconX) right where the sore is. Not surprising - I had the same problem (but not as bad) on my road bike last year and turned out to be the same cause.

So in addition to caring for the sore while continuing to ride, I have a second question:

I'm obviously going to buy a replacement, but how the heck do I get a $100 saddle to last more than a year without it creasing? This is the second time a saddle of this age has had this problem, and I'm NOT a high-volume rider. I'm using Terry, so I'm not cheaping out either.  Is there some "saddle care and feeding" I don't know about?

No idea.  My coach was a cyclist and he said he knew pros who would cut out a portion of their seat to relieve a hot spot.  That might not be the right seat for you.  I really like the Cobb products and they have a 180 day return policy if you don't like it you can get your money back.   I don't know anyone who returned a Cobb seat tho.  Lube lube lube

2012-04-14 7:31 PM

I returned a Cobb saddle
Saddle sores are a big issue. I update shorts every year as it seems to get worse the older my shorts are. I went to a cycling dermatologist and she gave me a higher percentage hydrocortisone cream that helps when I get hot spots. I tend to wear boxers at night(sometimes during the day too) and cover the area with tegederm to keep the cream where it is supposed to be and not on the boxers. I also use a Terry saddle. I can definately see a difference with different shorts.
Very frustrating.
2012-04-14 7:49 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Tea tree oil, several times a day. On a cotton ball, held to the area for a couple minutes.

And lancing, if necessary...followed by tea tree oil several times a day.

2012-04-15 7:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Thanks everyone! Some real cycling beasts I have no hope of even sucking the wheel of have answered and I really appreciate it.

Yep, had already thought of calling Terry - I'd hate to give up on the FalconX. It usually works like a dream- last year I did several 5-hour rides in tri shorts and no lube and didn't have even the slightest discomfort during or after. But yeah - definitely can't be replacing the thing every year.

2012-04-15 4:23 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I had a painful cyst last year in just the wrong spot for cycling. Nightly heat (water bottle) eventually cleared it up and kept me from needing to have it cut open. Not sure if your saddle sore might also benefit from gentle heat.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle Sore Help - Please! Rss Feed