KC Running Company
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 24s
Overall Rank = 887/4500
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 42/
Pre-race routine:

had a bowl of oatmeal, missed my coffee, and didn't get a bottle of water. Made my way to 1:50 pace group. stood around waiting for my running buddies.
Event warmup:

standing.
Run
  • 1h 54m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The temp was comfortable enough, the humidity was 100%. Running with the wind the first half was difficult to stay cool. Again the small hills for me wore me down.
What would you do differently?:

For this race I think hill training is a must. I also made the mistake of eating too early in the evening the night before and not drinking enough water the night before. My morning ritual was not the same and overall nutrition was low. I used a three day run plan that stretched for 16 weeks. I will go back to a short training period with more running sessions in it. Also eat and drink the night before the race better. I really think I peaked out too early.
Post race
Warm down:

small amount of stretching. Used the post soft tissue and stretch tents to help with the primaformus issue in the left leg.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor nutrition and hydration. Wrong training plan for me.

Event comments:

the race event was good and the course was tough enough to be a challenge. The post race events and vendor/sponsors were outstanding had a great time with the event itself, disappointed with my performance.

Last updated: 2012-01-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:24 | 13.1 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 42/
Overall: 887/4500
Performance: Average
Course: elevation chart was deceiving. It showed very little change but what it doesn't show is the number of small hills that for a flat-lander like me was torn up on. One of the most daunting hills was ath the turn around on the north end of Loose Park. After that the course just wore on you.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-15 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Frontenac , Kansas
Subject: Rock The Parkway

2012-04-16 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4151651

User image

Veteran
Kansas City
Subject: RE: Rock The Parkway
I know the feeling, growing up in the western part of the state I was pretty sure all of Ks. was flat. Not here. Lol. That race is one of the flatter ones too I think.
Fla. on the other hand is crazy flat from what I can tell.
Great run btw!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock The Parkway Rss Feed