ETUR - East Texas Ultra Runners
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 40s
Overall Rank = 31/160
Age Group = Masters (40+)
Age Group Rank = 17/103
Pre-race routine:

Made the 1-hour drive to Huntsville and picked up the packet. Managed to misplace my car key, but it was turned in by some really nice person....that was when I realized that this was my lucky day!

No line at the outhouse when I went in, but about 30-people in line when I came out (after about 2-minutes). That was kind of spooky!
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 00m
  • 15.53 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

My dad wanted to sign up for this as a "family event". He did the 10k. The original plan for my mom to do this with him, and for my wife to do the 25k with me. Both our spouses decided not to participate!

I figured I would just count this as my long run for the week, as I'm in the final prep weeks for IM-Texas and the mileage was close to what I'd be doing anyway. No taper of specific prep for this race.

This was my third race on these trails (previous 50k and 50-miler), so I pretty much knew what to expect. It was pretty humid on Saturday, so I ran without a shirt and carried one hand-held bottle. This worked out just right. At HSP, I run in my normal road shoes (Brooks Ghost 4), which I think are just fine unless it's been raining and is muddy and slick. No problems with this on Saturday.

Kept a nice, even pace throughout the race. My plan was to just have a nice training run, and that's what it runed out to be! This turned out to be my first race at Huntsville without a single fall. Maybe the key was the shorter distance!
What would you do differently?:

Pay more attention to the car key!
Post race
Warm down:

Milled around, found my dad, had another bottle fill-up to sip, and hit the road!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No taper.....just another training day.

Event comments:

Well organized race at a great venue. Smaller numbers of participants and a variety of distances to choose from.

Last updated: 2012-03-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 15.53 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 17/103
Overall: 31/160
Performance:
Course: Single loop course with one out-and-back section throught the forest at Huntsville State Park. Trails are a mix of jeep roads and single track. No big hills, but lots of slight grade changes. Jeep roads had a lot of sand, and single-track has a lot of roots. As trail runs tend to go, this is a fast course!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-16 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Hog's Hunt 25k Trail Race

2012-04-16 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4153811

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Subject: RE: Hog's Hunt 25k Trail Race
Nice training runI have been looking into doing some trail races next year since my wife is not allowing anymore IM for awhile.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hog's Hunt 25k Trail Race Rss Feed