Start2Finish
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 18s
Overall Rank = 556/
Age Group = 36-40
Age Group Rank = 123/164
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 and got ready, had a bagle with penut butter. Drank some pedia light and water. Loaded all of our stuff (Cbost and I) into the car and headed out for the race site.
Event warmup:

Got set up in transition, clipped shoes in peddles and tied them flat with rubber bands. Taped 2 gels to my bar on the bike. That only left me having to put on helmet and sunglasses for the bike. Put on shoes and went and ran about a mile for a warm up. Stretched a little.Went over by were the pros had their bikes racked and seen if they did anything differently... got a few tips. Went over and met Cbost and we body marked each other. Put on wet suit and stood over with Lane, Frank and Chris and watched the pros start as well as the other waves. Watched the pros come into transition, man they fly.... They run hard the whole way, grab their bike, shades and then they are off.
Swim
  • 31m 28s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

When I first got in the water, I got cold and it was hard to catch my breath. I think maybe it took me 20m to get into a rhythum. From there on I bilateral breathed and switch back and forth from breathing every 2nd stroke. I told myself to try and slow down in the first part. I wanted to avg 2:00 min per 100y. So I worked on navigation (looked every 6th stroke), and staying calm and relaxed. Really worked on stretching out my stroke and finishing it. Had a few people pass me but I passed some people too. Tried to draft but the people I would get behind I would end up climbing on them... made the first turn at the bouy and we all came to a stand still, so I moved out to the outer side and got back into it. Swam good here and told myself to pick up the pace a little. Started breathing more every stroke with some longer stretches of every 2 strokes. I noticed I drifted a bit to the right, which was fine because they had a rope that would catch you. So I swam to the close side of the rope since I figured it was the shortest route to the finish. Made it to the next bouy and I knew I was headed for home. Decided to bear down a little here, really worked on pulling and finishing my stroke. got past a few times and tried to draft but they were way to fast for me. Ran over a few people... Got about 300y from the end and decided to slow it down a little. I really worked on my navigation because all they had from 300y in was a huge gatoraide blowup bottle to site with. Somewhere here I didnt turn my head enough and took a big swallow of lake water. yukkkkk I didnt let it bother me and just tried to regroup. Focused on stroke and finshed my way in. Swam to wear I knew I was waiste deep got up and started running out of the water while I unzipped my suit and pulled off my cap and goggles.
What would you do differently?:

Could have swam a little harder but I was happy with this swim. Swimming is my sucky part of this sport and I am happy with my progress. Last Sept was my only Oly distance and it took me 43 min to do that swim and I was exuasted after it. So I cut some serious time off and felt really god getting out of the water. Big plus.....
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

like I daid I had T1 all set up. Gels taped to bike, shoes clipped in with rubber bands holding them level. I was ready for this T1. My only problem... lake water in the belly. I got my suit off and my helmet and glasses on, grabbed the bike. Then started dry heaving... I felt a little dizzy and could tell something wanted to come up but it just wouldnt. So I stood there bent over for I know 30 seconds, wondering if I was going to throw up. Finally said heck with it, I can throw up on the bike. Ran out holding the seat (as if I was a pro...lol) jumped on bike and off I went.

Other than being a little sickly I was very happy with T1.
Was cool to see what the pros do, so I got some ideas for next time.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 53s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.03 mile/hr
Comments:

After T1 I got onn the bike and rode up a hill then to a flat stretch. I think I tried to get in my shoes a little too soon and didnt have up much speed, there was a big down hill right after T1 so I could have waited but I got in my shoes really well. Oh first of all this bike course was 1 mile short, so I really avg 20.7 mph, which I still think rocks.... I loved this ride... I didnt wear a HR monitor or my garmin, I wanted to go totally by feel. I passed a ton of people and kept a really high cadence the whole ride. Felt at time I was really going fast. I only got past a few times and that was from the guys with the disk wheels. The only problem was about every 8 min or so I would get cramps in my belly and I would dry heave again a few times. I really tried to drink a lot of water and my mix of water and pedialite thinking it would make me puke and I would feel much better. I took my pedia light every 15 min and water a few times in between. I did notice I had trouble keeping my head looking straight the whole time. When I ride by myslef I guess I tend to look down a lot and not ahead. So when there are 1800 people people somewhere on the bike course, you have to always be looking forward so you dont run into anyone (I will need to work on that). Halfway we had a bottle exchange, that was pretty neat and I did a good job with that. Long straight stretch and I hammered down. Still dry heaving every so often and would sometimes get a little in my mouth I would have to spit out. I just wanted to throw up and get it over with. I handled the turns really well, all in the aero position with one hand on the brake and I peddled thru the turns. I was really happy with this bike ride and I felt good the whole way thru. I might have been able to hammer a little more but I was not sure how that would affect me on the run. Had my zipp wheels on and not sure how much they helped but man I felt fast.... I think I got out of my shoes a little early but it was ok, I passed a few people and did the one leg dismount and didnt crash so I was happy. goal was anything under 1:15 min

Again only problem was needing to throw up.
Could have maybe got a little more out of the engine but I felt I gave it my all on the bike and I am stoked with my 20mph avg...
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

T2 was a lot better than T1. got my bike racked and helmet off. Visor, race belt, and shoes on (love the yanks btw). Turned around and took off, made the turn out of the racking lane and hear Doug (the pro) yelling for me. I turned to wave at him and noticed he already had changed clothes from his race uniform. I thought, damn... he is already done and I still have a hour to run...lol There was a long corral you had to run out of from T2, so that may have added 20 secs to time. So I was super happy with T2, fast and effecient.

nothing T2 rocked.
Run
  • 1h 05m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh the run... lol After T2 I started the run with short strides with a quick turn over. I felt a little tight and I am sure that was from not really doing enough brick workouts this year (coach said she could take care of that). Again the dry heaving and stomach spasms would start, this time about every 4-5 mintues. It took me a long time to find my legs, about 2 miles. Until then I just kept up my short quick turnover. My goal was anything under 60 min and by the first mile marker I was right at that, so I was happy. Got a lot of water at the first stop and poured it on my head because it was so hot. Crossed the road from the park and we started the hilly part. Just rolling hills over and over for the next 4 miles. I tried to quicken my pace but when I would get into a good rhythum I would start to dry heave and I would back off a little. mile maker 2 was good. Water station 2 was gatoraide and water on my head... Somewhere during mile marker 3 I was passed by some guy with the number 704 and I thought damn him... I will catch him later. So then at this point it gets a little strange. So we are going up this long hill that seems to go on forever and and I get this urge to pee and I think to myself "huh I have to pee" well at the same time I get a dry heave and look down and I am peeing on myself... I go "huh well looks like I am peiing". So not sure if the dry heave brought it on or what but yea (Trixie and G8tersax) I pee'd on myself...lol So the water station was close by and I just threw a extra cup of water on myself to wash my legs off. Right after mile marker I am getting ready to pass someone and I look down and they have a BT tat (you have to get em gang) and I say "hey what the hell a BTer" and Lane turns around...lol and low and behold he is that damn 704 guy...lol So at this point we chat a little about how we feel. He says he has to pee really bad and I told him huh well I just went... we decide to run the rest of the way in. We get back on the hilly section and walk some of the hills and run the rest. We get about a half a mile from the finish and we start running down hill and he says we will walk the final up hill and then run the rest of the way in and I agree. we see Chris (Cbost) and we both decide to put on a good show and we continue to run and I high five Chris and we keep going a little. I look and he is out of site and we go back to waling the hill...lol
Last 300 yards or so was on a grass wall that seem to take for ever. We ran the rest of the way in side by side and then he let me go in front for the photo opps. Ahhh we were done... my goal was anything under 1 hour :(

I walked a little too much for my taste and it took me a long time to get my legs. So I need to get more brick workouts in. It was hot hot hot and I know I hydrated properly.
I may not have pee'd on myself but hey what do you do...
I would have liked to have done it in under 60min but I am happy.
Post race
Warm down:

drank water and helped Lane carry the 50 pound beer cooler from his truck over to a shaded tree where we had the post race drinks. Karl came over and we did his Champagne celebration. Hung out with Jen and said hi to the D3 gang a little. My coach came by to tell me I did good. Drank lots of beer and tried to stay out of the 94 degree direct sun.
We waited for everyone to finish Cbost and Chris (rugbykid) which was very amazing and inspiring.
Waited for Doug to get his trophy and his check (nice 1hr 40 min work) and then went to Lane's estate for the post race party. Wish all the Bters would have been there...
Left and drove back home with Cbost.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was really happy with the race.
Again, the needing to throw up was my only real issue... Take that away and 8 minutes and I would have been one happy camper.
I dont think pee'n on myself limited me from going faster but it was strange...

Event comments:

great race, will be back next year.
Hope more Bter's do it...

Last updated: 2006-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:28 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 134/164
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue 70 IM Helix
Course: Course was a counter clockwise triangle. We started in 3 second intervals. I was 690 so it took a little bit to get there. Stood in line when my number was called, got some water and drank it as well as poured in in my wet suit. This was a lake (see big pond) swim, so no big waves. Course was well marked and the first bouy looked way far away... Wanted to do the swim in 30min was my goal.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:53 | 24.85 miles | 21.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 93/164
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: couse was super flat. All on really good roads, well maintaned, police were out really well and traffic was not a problem. there were a few little rolling hills early in the bike but nothing I had to get up out of the saddle for and I stayed in the big chain ring the whole time. Time to beat from last Oly 1:17.27
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:05:58 | 06.21 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 134/164
Performance: Average
will fill this in later... I have all of my splits.
Course: Out and back from Park thru a neighborhood. With some rolling hills that for some reason seemed steeper and longer than when we drove the course the day before in Lane's truck. Also it was like 90 degrees by the time I hit the run. 1:09.37 was time to beat from last Oly
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-23 11:46 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: Memphis in May

2006-05-23 12:08 PM
in reply to: #431521

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: RE: Memphis in May
Great job Kimosabie...and thanks for all the help the whole weekend!! We are gonna have a great year!
2006-05-23 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

NICE JOB! You should be proud of yourself!

I heard there was alot of goose poop in that lake. That could have been what was making you queezy.

And a blistering BIKE SPLIT! YEEE HAW!

Way to go!

Whizzzzzzzzzz 

Edited by Whizzzzz 2006-05-23 12:11 PM
2006-05-23 12:14 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-05-23 12:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
well you did awesome. great improvement on the swim...did ya enjoy your new wetsuit? lake water enough to make me puke...next time just stick your finger down your throat and get it over with...you will feel much better! hey and the peeing on yourself. I think it is funny not that you did it but that you didn't realize at first. I think its great. who needs modesty? Even the pros let it go sometimes and they are being televised.

man you are going to blink at the min sprint we are all doing this weekend. Crap I suspect you will be done before I even get on the bike and that one legged dismount looks real cool! I totally want to learn that...for now I do the desperate...oh crap..dismount...quite graceful.
2006-05-23 12:15 PM

Buttercup
Nice job, Sweetcheeks. Congrats!

2006-05-23 12:27 PM

Master
Colorado

Nice race!

I must say, you don't look anything like your avatar

2006-05-23 1:30 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
AWESOME JOB CHRIS   Congratulations!!!
2006-05-23 2:21 PM

Master
Marietta, Ga
Chris, great race.  Looking forward to the next time we can hoist the bubbly in celebration of yet another great finish.
2006-05-23 2:24 PM

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Awesome job Chris!  You've improved a ton since last year!!!  That sucks that you kept dry heaving.  Congrats on peeing on yourself- that saved you some time!  Hopefully I'll see ya in Chattanooga if I do it!
2006-05-23 2:25 PM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Great job, and awesome to meet you!

What's with all the BT'ers wanting to hurl the whole race?

Great RR...I love detail!

2006-05-23 9:34 PM

Regular
Vienna, VA

Great race report -- I agree, the distances were screwed.  I wore my GPS and the bike was about 1.5 mi short and the run was about 0.2mi long...  I haven't a clue about the swim but it was a PR for me!

Sorry we didn't meet since we were SO DAMN'D close in time -- maybe next year I'll come back and tackle the Memphis Belle for slapping me on the run...

Paul

2006-05-24 7:07 AM

Master
Plant City, FL

I'm so freaking proud of you for peeing on yourself!!   Congrats!!  Now, we just need to get over that can't puke thing, and you'll be all set!!  

2006-05-24 9:18 AM

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Chris, nice job.  Your swim was awesome.  I need to start making progress like that.
2006-05-24 2:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
um well I was with you right up until you peed on yourself...lolgood for you I am sure Wendi and Trixie will be proud...nice race hey you hit 2 out of 3 goals get the 3rd one next time....CONGRATS
2006-05-26 6:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California

I just read your RR....You kicked butt on your goal to beat 3:15.....by a long ways!!!  TERRIFIC....

2006-05-26 9:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs

Nice job on the race man

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memphis in May Rss Feed