Clemson, South Carolina
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 37s
Overall Rank = 295/313
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 38/38
Pre-race routine:

Arrived early, Though it was my very first triathlon, for some odd reason i wasnt feeling nervous; just calm.. Everything was new to me ; got my race packet, figured out where to put all the numbers (helmet, bike, race belt). Pumped air into my bike, checked out transition (being early helps, looked at how people set up and copied them. Ate a banana and had some water.. It was freezing that early in the morning
Event warmup:

Didnt warm up ; just some slight stretching, walked over to the lake and thought i will freeze (was going to swim in my tri shorts only) walked around to get a feel for the transition area - checked out the bike entry/exit etc. went over the procedure in my head.. walked to my transition spot and went over the whole process in my head.. was so sure I will forget my bike helmet or my race belt or something..
Some background - I had registered for this race long back but had not trained at all for about 3 months leading up to the race - I took the tapering part very seriously...was wondering if I was doing the right thing but just before the race I felt so calm and wonderful - no jitters, no expectation, no time pressure, I had nothing to prove and no-one to beat - only the belief in myself and the desire to finish and have a good time.. It can be a very powerful force !!!
Swim
  • 23m 20s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

For all I had heard about Tri starts, this turned out to be quite peaceful... I stayed to the left (it was a clockwise course) and stayed away from the rush. Swam out with my head up for the first 30 odd meters (everyone did that) and then settled into my stroke (breast stroke !).. could not keep up free-style beyond 2-3 minutes at a stretch.. Breast stroke ensured that sighting was not a problem !
Its a good thing that I love being in open water - always have... never really to swim for a race but just recreationally (rafting, kayaking, windsurfing, surfing).. So even though i was swimming more breast-stroke than freestyle and was being passed by everyone I really enjoyed the swim - it was the best part of the tri for me !. it was funny to see the second wave overtake me then the third and so-on.. i would almost be waiting thinking to myself 'c'mon guys whats taking you so long, the next wave should be upon me by now !'
What would you do differently?:

practice till I can swim free-style the whole way..
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

This was my furst ever transition - was still panting from the swim and took my sweet time - putting on socks on wet feet !

practice, practice
Bike
  • 44m 4s
  • 11 miles
  • 14.98 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my weakest link (sure, they were all weak)..

Had trouble mounting my bike (it was uphill !!!).. you have to understand, I am still getting used to the clip-less pedals.. so after almost crashing and taking down another triathlete next to me (that lady would have killed me for slowing her down !), i got off the bike and ran up the short slope and mounted on the descent...

was passed by everyone, young and old, on Mountain bikes etc..apart from that enjoyed the ride and looked around.. The course description said that there was a steep ascent at about mile 3.. now to the beginner in me they all seemed the same so never found the steep ascent - couple that with the fact that my bike computer was not working, I kept wondering how far I had come coz the steep hill wasnt coming. It was a very funny situation to be in - was wondering if I was so exhausted that I couldnt figure how far I had ridden.. then i saw that i had been riding for 30 minutes and there is no way even I was that slow to not have covered 3 miles in that much time (heck, i can run faster than that !) so I figured the steep ascent was gone.. that put my mind to rest !! finally..

an aside - when i was being body-marked i didnt initially understand why they put my age on my calf.. i understood it on the bike and run segment - so that yu can laugh at yourself as people twice your age and less than half your age pass you all over the course !!!

practice, practice
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

had trouble dismounting - the right shoe is too tight.. required some effort..

practice bricks...
Run
  • 29m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

couldnt find my feet the first half mile or so.. seemed really tough to run.. took awhile to get used to it.. apart from that, was ok. There was a really steep portion where i was willing myself to not walk but the 4-5 people in front of me all stopped to walk up and I did too (hated myself for it - but managed to catch my breath).. was passed by a kid who seemed really young.. spurred me to try running a little harder !waited after the finish to congratulate him and asked him his age - he was 10 ! WOW... I really need to get fitter...

practice
Post race
Warm down:

caught up with the peachtree tri club gang and cheered for the few people who finished after me ! had some water and ate some food...and revelled in the fact that i had finished my first triathlon without incident...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training, had not trained at all (or exercised) in the last 3 months... not the ideal way to do your first triathlon

Event comments:

Dont have too much to compare with but was happy with the race

Last updated: 2006-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:20 | 820 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/38
Overall: 278/313
Performance:
Suit: No
Course: It was rectangular course marked by 5 buoys
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:04 | 11 miles | 14.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/38
Overall: 279/313
Performance:
Wind:
Course: course was rolling hills - but thats for the experts; for a guy who has clocked a total of 100 miles on his new bike.. the hills were tough considering I was still not fully recovered from the swim
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal