General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra bike leg and passing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-19 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Xterra bike leg and passing?

Just curious as a stronger swimmer than biker what the protocal for passing in an Xterra is. 

Thanks!

2012-04-19 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4161349

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Xterra bike leg and passing?
Moonrocket - 2012-04-19 3:28 PM

Just curious as a stronger swimmer than biker what the protocal for passing in an Xterra is. 

Thanks!

There's not real a "protocal".  People will pass when they can and when it's safe.  I find Xterra to be much more kind than most MTB races.  People are usually pretty cordial about letting you know they are faster and want to pass, and usually kind about noticing you're faster behind them and letting you past. 

2012-04-19 5:48 PM

Regular
Seattle

Thanks!

My experience has been that communication is the key and that please and thank you go a long way.

Ask the person to let you by when they have a chance and the usually will. 

2012-04-19 6:15 PM
in reply to: #4161609

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I agree with the above.  I have also noticed that the XTERRA events I have done, there tends to be wider trails (double track) in which passing is easier.  There are portions of tight single track where passing is rough, but there are plenty of locations where it's more open.

Also in the events I have done, there are less athletes than a regular triathlon.  Riders seem to be a bit more spread out.  In MY experience, I tend to be a FOP swimmer, and I can't recall ever passing anyone, and only a handfull of people have passed me.  In those cases, I leave it up to them to make the pass.  I don't slow down, or do anything stupid to make room.  HOWEVER, I don't block them either.  If there is a safe way to pull to the right but not slow down?  I will make room.  But otherwise, it's up to them to make the pass/move.

2012-04-20 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Thanks!

The unwritten protocol is for the person in the back to announce their intention to pass (if they sit back there a long time and make you nervous, you can ask if they want to pass but don't need to).

Once they announce, they will either be in the process of going for it and you just need to survive until they are by....or they will be asking for your cooperation.

If they are going for it, they will call out "on your left" or "on your right" and it's THEM that will be leaving the trail if necessary for the pass.  In this case, just momentarily coast to help them but don't break your rythm.

If they are asking for cooperation it will go like this: "I'd like to pass please".  You watch for a section of trail wide enough for the pass and when you see it approaching you tell them what to do.  You will say "Pass on my left!" and you will coast a bit to the right.  Make sure it allows for a pass at that point, make sure you announced it soon enough for them to get up some steam, and it can happen like a nicely choreographed dance move.

You don't need to slow, they need to sprint.

If they are in a passing position and you were thinking of working out a pass, but you fumble on a climb or something and unclip then make sure to let them by before starting back up.

2012-04-20 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you so much! So much more civilized than I was worried about- someone throwing a water bottle at me or something.

2012-04-20 1:46 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

As everyone has said, Xterra is WAY nicer than road.  Mtn Biking is the weakest of my disciplines off-road, so I've gotten good at getting passed.

If I hear them coming, I say, "Talk to me".  That let's them know I know they are there and we can work out a passing strategy.  Then when the time is right, call it out:  I'm going low, go high...NOW NOW NOW...

OR they will say, "When you get a chance".  Then the same thing happens.

I've had pro's behind me be very cordial and it was a refreshing break!  They know you're going as hard as you can and it's tight terrain.  No need to stop or slow down, just be smart.

2012-04-20 7:10 PM

User image

Master

Yes, on the "to your left"! As one that got passed a... ahem... few times, it helped me to help them if we were approaching a long single track and I heard them coming early. I know who I'm not going to be jockeying for position for and will gladly let them go. We're told to move as far right as possible, but don't endanger yourself, so if you call out and they're not moving right away or enough, they could be avoiding getting hurt. Communication is key, and there's a lot of it in mountain biking.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by Blanda 2012-04-20 7:12 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra bike leg and passing? Rss Feed