Valley Forge Convention and Visitors Bureau
48F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 35m 53s
Overall Rank = 137/1045
Age Group = M40-45
Age Group Rank = 12/92
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 7:00 and tried to figure out what the weather to be like. Went with the Tracker Bike Jersey and sweats. Got Adrian up twice and then we hit the road at about 7:35. Got to the lot parked and got the Bus to the park. Walked up to the start and ran into Susanna Lowery my former Team Trakkers teammate and talked as everyone lined up. Just started sprinkling as they did the national anthem.
Event warmup:

None really basically the walk up to the start line, a nice hill and tried to stretch an kept bumping into people.
Run
  • 35m 53s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Started in the back of the 8 mile mile group with Adrian and Susanna. Just took it easy the first mile and went with the flow. The start road is very narrow so you can weave or just wait. I chose the later. Took the space when it opened up but a few little bursts but I stayed patient. Going do the hill before the arch I finally started going and opened up my stride. Hit the first mile marker at around 7:50 which meant about a 7:30 for the first mile which wasn't too bad as slow as it felt. Attacked the second mile and the long uphill and started passing people consistantly. Ran a 7:05 the second mile. Worked the downhills hard today as well as the up hills to move forward. No clock at mile 3 by felt good and i skipped the water station since it was raining and cool. Got slower picking people off but i kept moving forward and pushed it up Rt 23 to the clock there for mile 4 was 29:15 so I needed to push the last mile and I worked the top hill, pushed over the top to the downhill. The final hills was a bit of a challenge and a few people I passed on the downhill returned the favor. Didn't sprint to the finish but I felt like I had a good bit left which bodes well for Knoxville in 2 weeks. 36:21 gun time and 35:53 chip time. Finally broke 36 min here on a cold, rainy and windy day. Great run. Adrian finished in 40:41 and 7th in his age group and Susanna went 39:55 in her second race of the weekend.
What would you do differently?:

Executed very well. Took it easy the first mile then ran steady 7:05-7:10 miles 2-5. Could have started further forward and gone hard from the gun, but it was the right call to start back with Adrian and still can't complain since I PRed it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit got a water and then waited to see Adrian come through. Saw Liane my instructor for the Thursday night Cycling class at the Y. She finished 5th in her AG. Never saw Susanna finish but then saw Adrian and they announced his name at the finish, which was very cool! Got some food and goodies and started to get cold as the rain picked up so we headed to the buses. Drove back and jogged up to the expo to drop off my old shoes for the Nike re-use em program. Then ran back to the car (about a mile round trip.) Drove home and got breakfast and took a shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Other that starting too far back in the pack and not forcing the issue early on, I executed my plan almost exactly. Finally broke 36 on this course for a PR on a non PR weather day.

Event comments:

Great race! Over 1000 runners and 1400+ signed up plus walkers and kids runs. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate this year. Was absolutely gorgous yesterday sunny and 70s, but the rain started right with the race and it was high 40s. They do a great job each year with the things they can control.

Last updated: 2012-04-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:53 | 05 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/92
Overall: 137/1045
Performance: Good
Course: Run on the park road, starting at Log City, up to and around the Mason's Arch, around and up to the Washington on the Horse statue and a long hill. Down and around to the bike trail and up to the back recreation area. Past the water stop, around to the cannons, up to the Rt 23 parking lot. On to the multipurpose trail, quick down and up, then the steady uphill past Washington's Chapel. TO mile four then the big downhill to the access road and then back up to the hill to the main entrance and the finish! Lots of hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes