The Petersburg Triathlon Group
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 46/133
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Rode to site w/ Pat (the bus driver), Chris, Ed and Nick. Got to event with plenty of time - set up transition, chatted w/ folks, etc............the usual. No real raceday butterflies to be honest......was comfortable with where I was (certainly not acceptance here) but knew I was in better shape than I was in 2010 heading into this race - even coming back from injury, I was still confident.
Event warmup:

None - why wast a good first 100 swim time..........I need it to offset the proverbial 'fade' - LOL. We all seemed to joke about this before the start.
Swim
  • 05m 44s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Just not a fan of the swim start to be perfectly honest - no one seeds correctly and it just causes a mess in the pool. Typically (as was the case today) the first 100 or so is no issue...........but then the traffic comes around the 150-200 mark. I was cruising (in my mind) and felt good in the water........this doesn't happen often, so lemme have my moment. LOL I was actually catching and passing folks.........something I am not used to. Around the 150 mark, it started to stack up and get frustrating. No one was moving over or waiting at the wall. It got to be 4 deep in front of me and no where to go. If I pulled out to pass, I would have had to pass all 4 - I didn't have the 'juice' for that so just tucked in behind and prayed it didn't hurt me too much. Hit the ladder and looked at the watch - 5:23............wow - I was shocked. Now I wonder how much that last 100 or so cost me........was 5:00 realistic? Oh well..........I sprinted and passed all for on the way to transition - LOL. Glad I didn't fall - ha. Hit the timing mat around 5:44. (I know - I said sprinted - maybe embellished). Good swim - I'll take it.........not fatigued entering T1 and felt good.
What would you do differently?:

Next yr I am starting up with the rest of the guys..........this was crazy - If if need to pull over to get passed, so be it.........but I'm confident I can hang for a while and not impede other swimmers. This was just nuts.
Transition 1
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

eh - not bad for first transition of the year.

nothing
Bike
  • 37m 11s
  • 13.02 miles
  • 21.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Headed out of T1 and felt good and confident knowing I had a decent swim and a PR was in sight. Headed out of the parking lot and I was glad to still be upright. LOL Actually took a second to pinch both tires before unracking my bike. LOL Hit the out of town stretch and started to go - out of the saddle to pumpin to get to top speed. Back in the seat and starting to catch folks as I left town. The benefits to being a slower swimmer - ha. Did not get passed and passed plenty.......again, the benefits. Avg. pace was around 22.3 at the turnaround. I saw 'something' as I was coming to the turnaround......oh ya.........I was gonna GET ME SOME! As we climbed out of the bottom after the turnaround, I made sure to take care of the first order of business - after that, settle back in and tried to ignore the slight headwind I was beginning to feel. Still felt good, but started to notice the avg. mph drop.........grrr. Kept pushing.........but this is when it popped into my head. hmmm.......I think I can run and run somewhat decent.......do I save a little? Ah hell - keep pushing and stay above 21 mph for the ride. Worry bout that in 5 miles.

Prolly a few spots I could have pushed more, but I'm not going to complain at this point in the year. I accomplished what I came to do!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

CRAP = it was a mess. LOL

Decide before I get there how I am going to put my socks/shoes on.
Run
  • 26h 30m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 8h 32m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

The fact that I began the run was a raving success! Told myself if I started to run, I would just enjoy the rest of the day and not complain. Saw Griff as I was leaving the school and he was coming in........really - dude a freak! Saw Ed about the .5 mile mark..........again - wow. Saw Chris as I was almost to the mile mark......eh - wasn't makin ground there. Saw Pat and then Aaron as they were around the 2 mile mark........I hit the mile marker around 8:30.....not bad for takin it easy........just keep it there. Hit 2 mile at 17 min. Nice.....again, I'll take it. Up the last big climb with no pain.......success. Just take it on in now. Ended with 8:33 pace for the day.........again, no pain = success.

Now - all that said.........I could have pushed more, but not sure what the result would have been with the leg. Glad I didn't in some respects, but me thinks I could have squeezed more.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted - got some grub, watched awards, hit the road.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury - lack of training as a result..........no excuses though. Let's get it!

Event comments:

Had a great time - season is underway, so that in and of itself made it a great day! It was a personal best for Sprint Distance and the race itself, so again...........no excuses and no complaints. I have a LOT of work to do, but this was a confidence booster. I told myself a GREAT day would be in the 1:09/1:10 bracket - got a smidge over 1:11. Game on!

Last updated: 2011-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:44 | 300 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/133
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Serpentine swim in indoor pool - warm...........but not HOT like last yr.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:44
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:11 | 13.02 miles | 21.01 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Winds - NNE. idk 6-8 mph maybe. Out and back.........crosswind mostly - lil headwind on the way back.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
26:30:00 | 03.1 miles | 8h 32m 54s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back - couple of big climbs and downhills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?