Sullivan Civic Center
50'sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 14m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

Paced around the house anxiously waiting for it to be time to go. This race does not start until 12:30 so I had lots of time to try to talk myself out of it due to the weather conditions.
Our drive was about an hour and I was starving on the way there so we stopped at the gas station for a cliff bar.
Event warmup:

Set up transition and swam a bunch of easy laps.
Swim
  • 7h 39m
  • 440 yards
  • 1h 44m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was pretty uneventful. I was not used to this pool and kept coming to the wall before I expected to be there so my first few push offs the wall were really a mess. As in - Oh, here is the wall! Stop, turn around, push off. I was getting pretty ticked at myself but I got it together about half way through. Swim was 5" slower than last year.
What would you do differently?:

Practice pushing off under the lane lines.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

This was slow and I knew it was slow. It was cold and windy out so I put a shirt on and of course my shirt was sticking to my wet arms. I couldn't get my hands out. I knew this would happen, I knew it was taking a long time, I would still put the shirt on again.

Not much, try to find a shirt that goes on easier or dry off the bottom of my arms. Either way I lose seconds.
Bike
  • 37m 19s
  • 11.7 miles
  • 18.81 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I beat myself up while I try to accept who I am at the same time. This was a mental struggle for me. The course really emphasized my cycling weaknesses which are cornering and crosswinds. The course takes you around a rectangle 2x so I had 8 turns. I still hit my brakes on turns, I can't even help it, it's like a reflex. I knew I was doing it, I wanted to stop but the fear of wiping out is very real to me. We had crosswinds with gusts on the long sections of the rectangle course and on the way out we are on a busy road with traffic backed up - this is a caution for me also so I sat up out of aero frequently here. A couple of gusts made me feel like my bike was coming out from under me. Please understand these are not excuses, everyone raced the same course. I know I have these weaknesses with cycling which is one of the reasons I don't love this bike course.
I felt like I could have been riding harder as my legs were not feeling much discomfort but I had trouble getting to the gears with the crosswinds when I was sitting up. One more mistake, I had the straw in the wrong hole on my Profile areo bottle. It was directly under my chin so I didn't have very much to drink during the race.
I was so happy to have that shirt on though. My feet and legs were freezing! I kept thinking "I want to get off this bike" and my answer was "Then ride faster!!!!!".

I guess I need to work on my confidence cornering!
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I'm not sure what took me so long here. I had the quicky laces on my Saucony Mirage trainers, I did not wear socks. I felt like this transition went fine but this time is slow. Had a little trouble with one shoe but I just ignored it and moved on. I did take a second to get my Garmin off of my bike.

?
Run
  • 27m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I was so relieved to be running! I like this course as I love running on trails. My BT friends know my run fitness is a struggle as I was laid up with injuries all winter. All in all I am really very pleased with this run.
I felt good coming off the bike, my legs were not even tired (which tells me again how weak my bike performance was) but I was happy nothing hurt. I just don't have speed right now (not that I ever did) as I've only been back on the running bandwagon since March. About half way through I wanted to push the pace but my lungs and HR would not cooperate. I kept looking at my Garmin and seeing 9:09 pace and I knew my legs felt great but I couldn't get my breath. As we turned to head for the park things settled down, my Garmin quit but I must have made up some time on the pavement.

Not fuss with the Garmin and IPod (allowed on this course as it is in a park and not a USTA event). Both quit during the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out chatting with all my tri friends. Have not visited with most of them since last summer so it was fun to catch up.
My ankle that I had been worried about felt fine but my back was pretty sore.
Ate a sub and chips (expcet the wind kept blowing the chips off my plate) and drank a soda.
DID NOT have enough water to drink before, during and after the race and ended up with a bad headache later in the evening.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Myself :)

Event comments:

Sullivan always puts on a great race. Very organized, great volunteers at every corner of the bike, well marked trail on the run, lots of awards, nice grub. Now if they could just control the weather......

Last updated: 2012-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
07:39:00 | 440 yards | 1h 44m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Serpentine swim in an indoor pool
Start type: Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:19 | 11.7 miles | 18.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Performance: Below average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Rectangle, 2 loops.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:11 | 03.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/9
Performance: Average
Course: 2/3 on a curvy but flat gravel trail, the rest circles around a park on a paved asphalt road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-23 2:01 PM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon

2012-04-23 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4167673

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon
Great Job!
2012-04-23 5:50 PM

User image

NH

Awesome race despite the cold weather.  Cool

Congrats on the #1 finish, expectations are now raised.

2012-04-23 6:15 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

It looks to me like you had a pretty good race.  You may not be happy with your bike but I believe you actually rode faster than you think.  Being a race your adrenaline would have been kicking in some and you may not have noticed the additional effort you were putting out.  I believe this is also shown in the fact that you were struggling to breath during the run.  I always hurt for the run portions of my races for the same reason.  I just force myself to keep going , knowing that eventually I will quit hurting as my body adapts.

I also think your swim is pretty fast.  1:44 100's is faster than a lot of people.

And you have an AG WIN!!!!!  You are not allowed to complain.

Great job!

2012-04-23 7:03 PM

User image

Starbuck, MN
AWESOME JOB !!!!
2012-04-24 12:14 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
First in your age group?  That is awesome!  Congrats!  

2012-04-24 5:35 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

I want to get off the bike...then ride faster...lol 

GREAT race and congrats...thanks for posting!

2012-04-24 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Hey Dina, thanks for stopping by my race report. Agree it's too bad we didn't find a way to meet up. Next time for sure!

Looks like you had a very strong race, congrats on first in your age group! The crosswinds were pretty brutal at times and it seemed like the wind changed direction a lot too (maybe it was those 8 turns!).

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon Rss Feed