General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattahoochee Challenge Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Chattahoochee Challenge Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbus, Georgia
United States
TriColumbusGA
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 48m 48s
Overall Rank = 44/86
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/16
Pre-race routine:

My first HIM! Stayed at hotel about half mile from transition, so up around 5 AM and had bagel and coffee in room and walked over. Nice and easy, and with such a small field (under 100) body marking and porta-potties were a breeze.
Event warmup:

Normally, I like to jump in the water and get loose, but the current was strong, it had a dock start, and I was less organized than normal, so I skipped it. No biggie.
Swim
  • 39m 50s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

As a lousy swimmer, this wasn't so bad, even with poor navigation and leaky goggles. My first time ever doing a dive--more like jump--start off a small jetty, so I was last one in (and last one out). At least I had plenty of room to swim! A very rocky exit from the water to a large boat dock, and had to breast stroke the last 50 yards so as not to hurt my feet/hands. Despite all that, I was shooting for 2:00/100 yds, and this was faster than that, so I will take it.
What would you do differently?:

Do my warm up swim so I can adjust my goggles and start out with more authority.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

This would be slow for a shorter distance, but I purposely took it easy and was fairly efficient.

I need to bite the bullet and practice transition with shoes on the pedals. It'd cut a minute off my time.
Bike
  • 2h 59m 14s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.75 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a good ride on a great course, although it was a little too flat for my tastes; the rolling part of the course was much more fun and interesting. I went out smart and had some reserves, but I took a wrong turn at mile 50 and wound up on a parallel bike path that had me dodging pedestrians and slowed me down by 2-3 minutes. I wasn't making the podium anyway.

Pay more attention/read the signs better. Between the wrong turn and hesitating to make sure I was going the right way definitely cost me time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Meh. Frankly, I thought I was slower. Again, I was not pushing it.
Run
  • 2h 05m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I was on my targeted sub-2:00 pace for first half, but heat and cumulative fatigue got to me and I fell way off. I did a very good job of running the tangents -- my Garmin had me at 12.7.

Not sure. I think some more over distance rides would help give me more pop on the run. I also need to drink more, dehydration caught up to me.
Post race
Warm down:

Shuffling the .6 mile trek from the finish line to the transition area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hesitant swim start, goofy swim exit (I climbed the dock like a sea turtle crawling up the beach), getting lost on bike, and poor hydration. All of these are pretty easy fixes.

Event comments:

Good race, particularly for a first effort for organizers (they did Olympic and sprint last year), and I think it will only get better and bigger. Stacked field, however, with 13 of 73 racers finishing under 5 hours. As a MOP type, particularly at this distance, it got a little lonely on the course and probably why I got lost on the bike. Still had a good time and was please with my effort.

Last updated: 2012-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:50 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/86
Performance: Average
Suit: Yup
Course: In the Hootch. With an easy current for the first half, against it somewhat at the turn around. A cement boat dock protected swimmers from the current when we turned back upstream. The river could have used some more water, there was a sandbar about 1/3 of the way that had us truly crawling on our hands and knees.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:59:14 | 56 miles | 18.75 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Largely flat and free of cars with some rolling hills between 18-36 and only about 1-2 significant climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:05:06 | 13.1 miles | 09m 33s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Odd terrain: running on path by river, in vacant lots, across field, down brick and concrete streets. A two loop course that is mostly flat, but with a few short steep hills that I began to loathe before it was all done.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-23 3:33 PM

Subject: Chattahoochee Challenge Half Iron Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattahoochee Challenge Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed