General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving overseas - how to properly send bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-24 8:28 AM

User image

Subject: Moving overseas - how to properly send bikes

We are moving overseas to Germany for 4 years.I am active duty and the military will be packing our household goods. I don't really trust the hired movers to properly pack our bikes (we have 4 road biks, 1 tri bike, 1 mountain bike and 1 kids bike). I talked to the LBS about packing our bikes. They charge $55-75 per bike. HOWEVER, if I break them down and pack them and then put them on the truck/boat for shipping and they somehow damage them, I'm responsible for replacing/repairing them because they didn't take part in breaking them down. If the packers break them down and then damage them (or the container falls off the boat), the military will only cover up to $5000.

I'm wondering what the best way to get my bikes overseas with as little damage as possible. Even though we've PCS'ed numerous times, this will be the first time that we move since having the bikes (we are new to multisport events). For those of you that have moved with your gear, what's the best way to get it from place A to place B safely? THANKS!

2012-04-24 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4169169

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Moving overseas - how to properly send bikes
You're probably better off packing them yourself... most movers won't know how to take a bike apart. When we moved overseas (corporate move, so probably quite different than military), the movers were responsible for all boxes they sealed, so I packed my bikes and let the movers seal the boxes. Best would be to pack the expensive bikes in a hard clamshell box, but they tend to cost a bit of money... very useful to have though, especially, if you plan to go back and forth a few times over the next years. If you have a chance, make sure you travel Europe while over there... some stunning riding in France (been to Provence, Alsace, Bourgogne...), Spain (highly recommend Costa Brava region, stay in or around Girona), Belgium is amazing (take a detour to Ronde van Vlaanderen museum!)....
2012-04-24 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4169169

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Moving overseas - how to properly send bikes

I agree--it's still better to pack them yourself. If you plan to do any kind of air travel with the bikes after you are in Germany, definitely purchase a hard case or two for the most valuable ones that you're likely to travel with. They are expensive but I got a fantastic (new) Thule one for $180 that's been all over the world many times and still going strong three years later.

There are specific boxes for bikes that you can purchase, ranging from breaking them down to literally just wheeling the bike into it. Personally, I would purchase the breaking-down type and be very liberal with zip ties so there are no moving/loose parts and bubble wrap between and around everything.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving overseas - how to properly send bikes Rss Feed