General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you determine how much more you need to eat as your workouts ramp up? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-26 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: How do you determine how much more you need to eat as your workouts ramp up?

I had a pretty good equilibrium going, but lately it seems like I need to start eating more.  Is there a way to do this, or just eat more when the scale drops eat less when it goes up?  I don't really want to count calories etc.  I don't want to lose more weight though.  How do I best counterbalance my activity increase.  I am blessed with a very healthy metabolism and am known as a big eater already.

Thanks!

2012-04-26 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4175217

Expert
Subject: RE: How do you determine how much more you need to eat as your workouts ramp up?
Moonrocket - 2012-04-26 2:40 PM

I had a pretty good equilibrium going, but lately it seems like I need to start eating more.  Is there a way to do this, or just eat more when the scale drops eat less when it goes up?  I don't really want to count calories etc.  I don't want to lose more weight though.  How do I best counterbalance my activity increase.  I am blessed with a very healthy metabolism and am known as a big eater already.

Thanks!

Well I was going to say that you should "Just eat more when the scale drops and eat less when it goes up", but you seem to have already come to that conclusion.  Works great and you can use the same theory for weight loss/gain.  Want to drop a pound a week, eat less and watch the scale, if it starts going down 2lb/week you cut too much food, eat a little more.  Works great, and its all I ever do.

That being said, if you have never tried to control your weight before a couple months of calorie counting will do wonders for your basic understanding of portion size and how calorie dense different kinds of food are.  But once you have that understanding no reason to continue with the counting.

Edited by 2453V 2012-04-26 2:45 PM
2012-04-26 2:47 PM

Master
, California
Subject: RE: How do you determine how much more you need to eat as your workouts ramp up?

I'm in the same boat with the high metabolism.  Normally I don't have much of a problem - if the workouts ramp up I just get hungrier.

But if I'm really trying to maintain or gain weight, then it helps to make meals more convenient.  I shop 2x a week instead of 1 so I have more fresh food around the house.  And I cook a few things in advance on Sunday so I can quickly heat up a meal when I'm tired during the week.

2012-04-26 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
If you eat healthy, it's almost impossible to eat too much. I eat constantly, but a lot of it is fruits, veggies, nuts, etc... between meals. When my training is in full swing, and as I ramp up the intensity and time, it's really actually very hard to eat too much. I'm very rarely full, and my weight is in a constant state of fluctuation between 162 - post long hard workout, and 170 at the end of the day after dinner and fully rehydrated. If it gets above 170 I'm more conscious of the occasional unhealthy snack and may eat some extra veggies for a day and it comes right back down. If I begin to get to where I can't keep it above 165, I start supplementing protien in shakes and ramping up the amount of carbs and fats for a day or two. that usually does the trick. I never count calories, but weigh myself at the beginning and end of each day.  
2012-04-26 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I never have a problem with eating more.
2012-04-26 3:32 PM

User image

I use the scale method to an extent only if it's a consistent gain/loss.  Otherwise, I anticipate hunger a bit and also how I feel at the time.  I can generally tell the difference between a 'hunger' fatigue vs sleep/exhaustion from working out or working too hard.  By no means will I ever be counting calories in the foreseeable future though.

2012-04-26 3:58 PM

User image

I try to just eat a little bit more at each meal until I catch up. But usually I'll realize I'm behind the calorie curve when I do something like make myself a snack to eat while I'm making dinner.

I do find that having filling soups ready to heat up in the fridge is helpful. Add a cup/bowl of soup as a side dish to a meal for extra food. Also I keep frozen berries for smoothies in the freezer for a quick second breakfast or pre-dinner addition when I find I'm behind the calorie curve.

Shopping twice a week is a good tip.
2012-04-26 4:07 PM

Veteran
Just eat when you're hungry.
2012-04-26 7:04 PM
in reply to: #4175498

User image

Veteran
adrian. - 2012-04-26 2:07 AM Just eat when you're hungry.

x2 
That's what I do - when my workouts get more intense I get more hungry, so I eat more. You should already be eating fairly healthy if you are not worried about weight gain, so just listen to your body. 
2012-04-27 5:06 AM
in reply to: #4175730

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
SmBkRn450 - 2012-04-26 8:04 PM
adrian. - 2012-04-26 2:07 AM Just eat when you're hungry.

x2 
That's what I do - when my workouts get more intense I get more hungry, so I eat more. You should already be eating fairly healthy if you are not worried about weight gain, so just listen to your body. 
This works for a lot of people, but not everyone. Some people have greater appetites. Personally, I will gain weight if I eat whenever I'm hungry, unless my training is north of about 13 hours per week. That's with eating a pretty clean diet. The rest of the time I need to walk around hungry most of the day, and leave meals less than satisfied. It takes constant monitoring of my weight combined with discipline for me to maintain. Losing is a greater challenge. It's not a lot of fun.
2012-04-27 8:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

"Just eat when you're hungry"

Works for me.

"I never have a problem with eating more."

Also works for me.

2012-04-27 11:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Edwards AFB

Common sense approach..  Listen to you body.  Some days I just cant stop eating, but I make sure it's stuff I should be eating.  My "cheat" meal is now a low-sugar whole grain cereal with almond milk 

Watch your waist.  If youre doing it right you may be eating a LOT but you wont put on fat girth.  If you're putting on fat you're probably eating too much of the wrong things.  I eat a ton of carbs.. I eat all throughout the day.. yet my weight stays low.

I think the biggest thing is listen intelligently to your body but NOT the naughty cravings.   

2012-04-27 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4175498

User image

Extreme Veteran
Syracuse, NY

adrian. - 2012-04-26 5:07 PM Just eat when you're hungry.

x2

not to the point where you are Thanksgiving full. But eat. You need to back up your training. It's race season, now is not the time to lose (significant) weight. Replace those stores so you can get up the next morning and train

2012-04-27 12:47 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Lance Armstrong equated calorie intake to work done on the bike as measured by his power meter.

Run a calorie defecit and you will lose weight.

Burn more than you eat= lose weight.

Eat what you burn= maintain weight.

Eat more than you burn= gain weight (most people).

2012-04-27 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4176827

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I Tri Hard - 2012-04-27 11:19 AM

Common sense approach..  Listen to you body.  Some days I just cant stop eating, but I make sure it's stuff I should be eating.  My "cheat" meal is now a low-sugar whole grain cereal with almond milk 

Watch your waist.  If youre doing it right you may be eating a LOT but you wont put on fat girth.  If you're putting on fat you're probably eating too much of the wrong things.  I eat a ton of carbs.. I eat all throughout the day.. yet my weight stays low.

I think the biggest thing is listen intelligently to your body but NOT the naughty cravings.   

I agree with this, but I don't think everyone is capable.  I'm a guy who's lost a lot of weight.  Last season I took this approach of eating when I'm hungry.  I gained some weight back during the season because I just can't be honest with myself about what I am eating, and I can't control the cravings.  This is especially hard for me during peak training times and taper.  I always need to resort back to good old fashion calorie counting.  It's the only thing that seems to keep me in check.

2012-04-27 1:15 PM

User image

When I'm hungry I eat. When I'm lightheaded and grouchy/weak I eat much more!

2012-04-27 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4175236

User image

Extreme Veteran

DV 1 - 2012-04-26 1:47 PM If you eat healthy, it's almost impossible to eat too much. I eat constantly, but a lot of it is fruits, veggies, nuts, etc... between meals. When my training is in full swing, and as I ramp up the intensity and time, it's really actually very hard to eat too much. I'm very rarely full, and my weight is in a constant state of fluctuation between 162 - post long hard workout, and 170 at the end of the day after dinner and fully rehydrated. If it gets above 170 I'm more conscious of the occasional unhealthy snack and may eat some extra veggies for a day and it comes right back down. If I begin to get to where I can't keep it above 165, I start supplementing protien in shakes and ramping up the amount of carbs and fats for a day or two. that usually does the trick. I never count calories, but weigh myself at the beginning and end of each day.  

I think this is what I'm curious about- at some point do I have to start eating junk food or protein shakes to keep up?  I'm not really any hungrier.  I really like to keep my weight at or above 127 based on past experience and I'm bumping against that bottom limit now.  I eat a LOT.  I'm just trying to figure out strategies for added calories and how I can be pro-active about staying in front of any weight loss. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you determine how much more you need to eat as your workouts ramp up? Rss Feed