General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wake Forest, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 38m 19s
Overall Rank = 12/135
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 6AM, ate oatmeal and a banana, then got ready. We camped at Falls Lake Rec Area, so the race was only 10 mins away. This race starts much later than your traditional tri (9:30AM), so I was in no hurry (a first) and actually enjoyed last minute prep.

Arrived at BeaverDam and was shocked when I couldn't find my wallet. Crap! My wife hurried back to the campsite to get it, but Registration allowed my friend Rod to vouch for me. I also had my USAT card (printout). Texted wife to not worry about it and went about setting up transition and getting ready to race.
Event warmup:

One mile run, then a 200m swim right before the race started.
Swim
  • 35m 19s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

I swam around the beach enclosure as a warmup, then simply stood in the sandy part of the beach, awaiting the start with the rest of the athletes. Looking across the water, the wind and chop were a cause for concern for me. It reminded me of that poster of a pool that has a storm over it.

When the RD started the race, I just eased into a rhythm and started at it. This was going to be a LONG swim. It looked long, the water was cold, and the water was rough-ish.

A few times I took a wave right as I was breathing and that threw me off...It was just enough to keep me from getting comfortable. No worries, just keep at it and finish this swim. The REAL race will start once your feet touch ground.

My left goggle filled with with water not long after the start. FAQ! I've had these goggles for a long time, though. It's time to get new ones.

After what seemed like an hour, I finally made the final approach and then felt sand. Yes! Let's do this!
What would you do differently?:

What is comes down to is I really just need to swim more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

The run from the lake to T1 was kind of long and slightly uphill! I was kind of winded going into T1. I was determined to pass anyone that had just exited in front of me.

I could tell HR was high, but my plan was to take the first few miles on the bike easy enough to get it down. Lowering HR on the run was not a priority.

Once in T1, helmet on (some difficulty), race number on, out.

Shoes were on bike, so I ran and did a flying mount. That didn't work out so well, b/c shoes caught on ground and stopped my bike! Gah!

I jumped off and did it again and was off.

Maybe swim with race number on to save that extra few seconds. Also, I tried clipping aero helmet snap 3 times before it went in right. I don't know why it wouldn't snap in...
Bike
  • 1h 18m 46s
  • 26.5 miles
  • 20.19 mile/hr
Comments:

After mounting bike, I started to look at HR and it was high. 160s. Have to get it down!

I rode moderate effort through the first 10 miles. The weather was cool to cold and the wind was just pushing me back. I tried really hard to get as aero as possible to reduce drag.

I knew I was way behind most of the Under 39 wave b/c of my swim. I figured I'd catch a few on the bike, then try to make up for it on the run.

Started to pass cyclists 1 by 1. I could tell all these ppl were suffering as much as I was in the wind. At times, the headwind was so strong, it felt like I was high zone 4/5 and going 15mph!

I'm happy to say I was not passed by a single cyclist on the course. Everyone ahead of me, I caught.

The final mile of the bike course, you paralleled the run course. I saw at least 10 runners. I knew they were way ahead of me and that it was time to really start the suffering.

After the race, I talked to a few ppl and they all said that the wind cost them a few mph. I agree. I think I rode hard.

I raced the bike well. I was 2AG and 15 OA with my bike split. That's saying ALOT for me, since the bike has never been a strength. All those intervals (and maybe the marathon training) really paid off.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Jumped off bike RIGHT before dismount and ran into T2. Ground was rough and I was hoping I didn't scratch up feet for the run.

Once in T2, took off helmet, grabbed garmin off bike, then put on shoes. The back of shoes folded when I stuck my foot in, so I had to take off and try again.

As I ran out, I tried to set the garmin on the wrist strap...after 3 attempts, it would not snap in...One good look told me the pin had fallen out.

Arg! I started the run, then stuffed the garmin and strap inside the back pockets of my tri top. After the run, when I pulled it out, it had 1 second recorded. The stop button must have been pushed when I stuffed it into my pocket. Arg!

Running shoe backs folded in while I was trying to put them on and that cost me a few seconds. Get a better grip on them next time and put them on.
Run
  • 41m 8s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

After messing with my Garmin, decided it was not important enough to spend more than a few seconds on. It was time to run...

I started to run and I could tell this was going to be a sufferfest. No worries, it's all good! That's why I'm here. Suffer now, rejoice later. :)

As on the bike, no one passed me on the run. I tried really hard to just stay steady, focus, and catch the next person.

The hills on this course were constant. A lot of times, I saw ppl walking once they started a climb. I thought to myself, this is where I'm going to make up the most time...the hills.

In the last mile, I saw a guy that had a 30-something on his calf...I didn't think I'd catch him, but tried anyways. I was cramping pretty hard in my right calf and left quad, but decided to catch the guy. It came down to the last quarter mile. He picked it up when he heard me, but I passed him and beat him by two seconds in the overall standings. After the race, he told me I was a meanie for doing that to him. We laughed, chatted, then parted ways.

This was a tough run. The fastest runner threw down high 39s. I was 3OA on run split. No way could I have gone any faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, got nutrition and hydration, and chatted with my wife and my buddy Rod. Talked with a few racers and we talked about the race conditions.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather was the biggest factor, but that was out of my control. Otherwise, lack of swimming.

Event comments:

FS Series is a class act. Small race, but I can see good things happening to this organization. They're quality. I would not hesitate to do another.

Last updated: 2012-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:19 | 1500 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/135
Performance: Below average
Suit: XTerra Wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:46 | 26.5 miles | 20.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 0/135
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:41:08 | 06.2 miles | 06m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 3/135
Performance: Average
2 loops of the same, hilly course.
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-29 8:42 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam

2012-04-29 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4180057

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: RE: Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam
Nice report d00d. I think you're right about the wind- a guy I know who is usually right around 20mph got something like 18.4. Awesome job though. I love the attitude- go get it done, there are people to catch! Keep biking and good things will happen. Oh, and maybe swim too. No worries about the running!!!
2012-04-29 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Very nice season debut. You went out and gave it hell. Swimming will only get better.
2012-04-29 10:08 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Sorry I missed you nice race. Even more so considering the wind and temps. Heck of a run there too. Great job!
2012-05-01 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Beautiful RR, mang..Scary how fast you're going to be with a little more staring at the black stripe, time!

Congrats on the podium.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam Rss Feed