United States
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 23s
Overall Rank = 838/2252
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 64/105
Pre-race routine:

Took the last two days off of any training.
Ken picked me up at 6 o'clock and we got Kara. Drove to SJF park/ride lot to wait for a couple minutes cause we always for Mike before races. No he wasn't coming just part of the routine left over from the freezeroos. got there and drove around the parking garage till Ken said this was the spot. Really turned out to be great.
Went with long sleeves again. Really was OK. Headed over to War Memorial and peed and stuff. Set a goal of sub two hours but just wanted to finish feeling strong and enjoy that race. We lined up without a warm up wished Ken luck as he wanted to be closer to start.
Event warmup:

Not a thing.
Run
  • 1h 55m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I had planned to run first mile with Kara but we were separated from the start. First two miles are great as it is a good downhill grade. Took awhile for things to string out. Around mile 4 it settled out. Skipped the first water stop at 2 miles. Hit the first mile mark at 9:30 but stood still at the start for a while let alone a shuffle walk.
Hit 5K at 25:45 or so. Feeling good. Just kept the legs moving easy not pushing to hard.
Through Park ave but no great smells from bakeries, darn. Took a gel at 6 mile mark and some water. Hit 10K at 53:30. Nice but the hills are yet to come. I decided to at least run the hills. I shortened the stride up and kept it moving. Actually made it up the cobble stone hill though not long its a pain in the ass. Passed one girl puking but still upright. Told the EMS guys who had their bike upside down trying to fix it.
Along with the up hills come down hill and a time to lower HR which was helpful. I was trying to pace miles on watch but kept missing the mile markers. Was able to track mile in the cemetery at a 9:32, not bad.

Drifted down tot he canal. Nice running just gets long. Kept thinking a little rest would be good since mile 5. Cup of water then a few sips of beer at a non course sanctioned beer stops. Had too so I could tell Kara yes I did stop.
Figured that at mile 12 since I was pacing under two hours by a few to take a break. Five steps in I feel this gentle tap on my shoulder. This smiling gal says come on you can make it. It was just the push I needed to bring me home so off I go to get this thing over with. Half way to the finish line I go the worse side stitch. Walked a few steps stretching my right side out and took off quickly to get to the finish and rest. Did well after stretch. I was really spent after the race for sure. Got water and looked for Ken. Weird I usually find him right off the back. Was a little worried he was puking on the side of the road somewhere. Got some water and results off this cool set up where you punch in your bib number and it will print out results on a receipt. Cool. Can;t remember Kens number.
What would you do differently?:

Train speed more. Do a 13-14 mile run little more then twice a year.

Post race
Warm down:

Got a little pizza, Ken found me. We waited for Kara to finish. Got more pizza. Headed out after watching people including us walk funny up stairs since the pizza was on the second floor. Ken marvelous park job only 6 steps to get to the truck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of some long distance running.

Event comments:

Great race. I was much happy and endorphined rushed afterwards. Made the couch my home after a nice long cold water shower for my legs. Slow cooked a pork loin since we had to walk by the Dinosaur BBQ to get to the truck.
Ken thanks for driving. Great hob on your race. I'll buy you a calculator for the next race.

Last updated: 2012-04-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:23 | 13.1 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 64/105
Overall: 838/2252
Performance: Good
Course: Flat then really hilly and then flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-29 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Flower City Half Marathon

2012-04-29 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4180092

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Flower City Half Marathon

Great sub 2!!

Awesomeness. Includes beer stops? 

2012-04-30 4:50 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

That was a lot of fun!  I missed the beer stop again! D'oh! 

Great race Dud!

2012-04-30 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
great job on the race and the "carb" stop!
2012-04-30 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Fun report and a great job with the race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Flower City Half Marathon Rss Feed