General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation Man, June 2nd, West Palm Beach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-30 11:24 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: Motivation Man, June 2nd, West Palm Beach

I found out about this race from a colleague about 3 weeks ago and only know of about 3 other people (around where I live) that know anything about it. 

There's a 70.3 and an Olympic (1500/25.5/6.55) in downtown West Palm.  The Swim is in the Intracoastal around Clematis Street.  The ride goes out Southern Blvd and back.  The run is along the intracoastal.

I signed up already.  It's the guys who do the FAU triathlon and this is the first year, so it could be great or it could be a mess, but with only 750 people running, I'm hoping for a good race.

Website is here: http://www.motivationman.com/

2012-04-30 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4181116

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Motivation Man, June 2nd, West Palm Beach
This race came out of nowhere and I hope it catches on.   I have been talking to RD's to put a race at that site for years and it has huge potential.   That said, it is also will likely have it's growing pains so I am sitting it out in year 1.  
2012-05-03 10:29 AM

User image

I'm registered for this race, 70.3. It is going to be hot-hot-hot.

2012-05-03 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
South Florida

Wow. Intracoastal swim. 

The mayor of Lake Worth used to do a swim across the intracoastal to raise awareness of how dirty it was. One year he got an infection and the next year did the swim in some kind of isolation suit.

I think it has improved the last few years though, with the stormwater cleanliness programs in LW and WPB, and I see people water skiing all the time with no apparent problems.

June is too hot for me to do an Oly, but good luck to everyone else!

2012-05-04 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4189225

User image

Turnin2 - 2012-05-03 6:05 PM

Wow. Intracoastal swim. 

The mayor of Lake Worth used to do a swim across the intracoastal to raise awareness of how dirty it was. One year he got an infection and the next year did the swim in some kind of isolation suit.

I think it has improved the last few years though, with the stormwater cleanliness programs in LW and WPB, and I see people water skiing all the time with no apparent problems.

June is too hot for me to do an Oly, but good luck to everyone else!

My boss said the same thing.  But I'm reasonably sure the race organizers and WPB City people will make sure to put some restrictions on the outflow in the week leading up to the race. 

For the IC to be that dirty, they must be dumping some pretty disgusting stuff.  There's tidal inflows and outflows all day long, so it should clean up pretty quickly if they stop dumping.

I'll email the race directors to ask about this. 

2012-05-05 11:40 AM

User image

Hmmm ... since I already registered I'm trying to decide if I want to know the answer to the water test or just proceed with blissful ignorance.

2012-05-22 9:17 PM

User image

Not to worry you, but I still have not received a response from the race directors to my email about the water quality... Then again, they haven't replied to another email I sent a month ago either. I'm just gonna go with it and schedule a Dr appt for the next week so I can get meds if I need them... Just kidding. I hope it doesn't rain the night before. That would wash all the stuff into the ICW.
2012-06-01 10:30 AM

User image

All ready to go.  Anyone else racing?
2012-06-03 2:09 PM

User image

I did it. We were lucky with the weather I think.

Whoever posted about the water was right. It was kind of gross. I had a black smear on my face that was apparently from oil/gasoline in the water. GROSS! Of course, I didn't know until the run where I saw a friend who said, "what is that black stuff on your face?"

So, for a first time race. Not too bad. I took the scenic route on the swim due to the total lack of buoys so it took forever. The bike course seemed well protected from maniac Palm Beach drivers :-) and there was lots of ice on the hotter than hades run course. I would have paid for a port-a-potty or a semi-private bush on the run course :-)

They ran out of medals pretty much right away so that was annoying.

But if I do it again I'll take the short course. Too hot in June for a race this long. I actually don't think I want to do another intracoastal swim but we'll see - never say never.

2012-06-03 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4241804

User image

miamiamy - 2012-06-03 3:09 PM

I did it. We were lucky with the weather I think.

Whoever posted about the water was right. It was kind of gross. I had a black smear on my face that was apparently from oil/gasoline in the water. GROSS! Of course, I didn't know until the run where I saw a friend who said, "what is that black stuff on your face?"

So, for a first time race. Not too bad. I took the scenic route on the swim due to the total lack of buoys so it took forever. The bike course seemed well protected from maniac Palm Beach drivers :-) and there was lots of ice on the hotter than hades run course. I would have paid for a port-a-potty or a semi-private bush on the run course :-)

They ran out of medals pretty much right away so that was annoying.

But if I do it again I'll take the short course. Too hot in June for a race this long. I actually don't think I want to do another intracoastal swim but we'll see - never say never.

Yeah, the water was interesting. I could feel oily gunk on my hands all during the ride. The organizers did a bad job of explaining where everyone should go in the swim.Steve Trebon said they're going to mail the medals to us. We'll see.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation Man, June 2nd, West Palm Beach Rss Feed