5150 Triathlon Series
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 01m 28s
Overall Rank = 1695/2689
Age Group = Under 39 Clydes
Age Group Rank = 36/58
Pre-race routine:

Up by 3:45am, toast, PB & Nutella, 1% milk, One-a-Days men's and 2 Aleve. Out the door by 4. Found parking, walked to transition, got marked and then set up by 5:30. Thought about waiting around for the pros swim and T1 but decided to go back to my truck and try to sleep a little bit. Managed to get an hour plus of sleep/rest then headed down to the swim start. Hit the porti-pottie line then went to the beach for some warm up/stretching.
Event warmup:

Mostly static stretching plus some arm swings & circles. Right upper back started spasming the day before so I was a little worried that might cause problems on the swim. Did a few more upper body stretches than normal.
Swim
  • 33m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

One of my better swims in a race. No problems with the upper back. Did have a few times where I had to go to the back stroke to get water out of my goggles. Other than that, felt really good the whole way. Swam very relaxed, found a few feet to draft off of and stayed face down the whole way. As much as I don't want to admit it, the swim is becoming my best leg and it's the one I train for the least.
What would you do differently?:

New, different, better goggles. The leaking is becoming an issue. Train more, maybe get some lessons to really take advantage of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Second year in a row with a great location. Outermost rack, closest to the swim/bike in. Only problem was the dirt, made for some very dirty feet.

Not much. Made it out and onto the bike without busting any toes this year.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 7s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Not much to say here. Probably my most disappointing leg. My lack of training really showed today. Almost 2 mph slower than last year.

Train, not work 2 full time jobs, train, eat better and train!
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Once again my rack location was awesome! In from the bike, racked, and out as fast as I could possibly hope for.

Lube the inside of my shoes a little more. I think the dirt caused some unexpected rubbing. Ended up with a few small raw spots on each foot after the run.
Run
  • 1h 04m 19s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

The run KILLED me. I started out hoping to go under an hour for the run, that would have put me in just under 3 hours for the day. Got onto the run with 63 minutes to work with. Tried to keep a comfortable pace out of T2. Was able to hold sub 10 minute mile pace for the first 2.5 miles then the lack of training ran me down! Started to slow down as I approached the turn around. At the 4 mile mark I was down to 23 minutes before I went over my goal. I just could not hold the pace. Finished the run in 1:04 which put me at 3:01:+ for the day.

Post race
Warm down:

Ice towel over the head, stopped at medical for some ice, my right knee started bothering me towards the end of the run. Had the same nurse that took care of my toe last year. Promised to stop meeting her under these circumstances. Walked around for a few minutes, got some food, got a beer, got a massage then watched the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Event comments:

For as big a race as this one is, it is really well run and the support is great. 5i50 hasn't screwed this one up.

Last updated: 2012-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:44 | 1640 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 34/58
Overall: 1570/2689
Performance: Good
Suit: Ryder Bikes team tri suit
Course: NEW SWIM COURSE!!!! Start was north of transition by about a half mile. The start was a deep water start instead of a beach run in. First time I've done that type of start. Good thing was they only had us hold for 3-4 minutes prior to starting. This allowed me to warm up and get used to the water temp. This year the race was wetsuit legal, but I did not have one but at 76.8 F it really wasn't an issue. Swim went parallel to the beach for about 800 yards then made a hard left and went out for about 300 yards then turned back towards the seawall with two diagonal legs about 200 yards each. The way out was into the tide/current, the way back was across the current. Exit was in the traditional location, south of transition and up the stairs. That was another first for me. Slipped a few times getting out, but thankfully there were plenty of volunteers to help out.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:07 | 24.85 miles | 18.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 44/58
Overall: 1803/2689
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Same course as previous years. Slight east wind that built during the day, never got gusty or too strong, but stayed steady. Plenty of cops at intersections, and no one pulled out in front of me this year!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:19 | 06.21 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/58
Overall: 1986/2689
Performance: Below average
Course: Traditional St. A's out and back through the very nice neighborhood north of transition. Great support, water stops every .5 to .75 mile. Lots of spectators cheering, spraying down the runners or handing out beads and margaritas! Not a lot of shade and it only gets hooter the later you start. Hope for an early wave time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes