General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To music or not to music, that is the question. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-05-01 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4183045

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: To music or not to music, that is the question.
I listen to music when indoors while strength training or riding the bike on the trainer. I also use it when I run outdoors but I am running on a track so I am not compromising safety. It I am running through the neighborhood I don't use it.  I never use it for swimming and don't use it for biking for saftey reasons. I like to have it but I don't feel like I need to have it in order to train or race.

2012-05-01 12:51 PM

New user
Yorkville, IL

I always listen to music on my runs, indoors or out. I'll also listen on trainer rides in my garage. Never in the pool. I prefer hard rock. The Offspring is awsome running music!

I don't find I miss it when I'm racing though. Seems I always have some tune playing in my head when I run without the I-pod so I guess I have the music there either way. At least with the headphones I can control the tune. Nothing worse than running along with a crappy tune stuck in my head

2012-05-01 1:01 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
I'm a Psychologist, but only a teensy portion of my formal training is in sports psychology. I have a pretty good history in sports and talking with many athletes at many different levels.

I wholeheartedly agree with Tom's post and while it will be easy to point out individual cases that veer from his analysis, over and over we find it to be true in practice for the majority of the athletic population.

Listening to music while you Benchpress to pump you up is fine, but as a football player your training is different from your performance in this regard. As runners/bikers/swimmers nearly every single training activity we do is a scrimmage. You will not find true upper level athletes (football/baseball/soccer) doing scrimmages while listening to music.

If you are doing an activity that is only "related" to enhancing your performance (aerobic, lifting, etc) then feel free to listen to music while you do it, but to say that other sports do it is to minimize the reality that we are all "scrimmaging" for 99% of our workouts!

besides, all the big kids are doing it and I wanna play with the big kids...
2012-05-01 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4183844

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
ZenMaster - 2012-05-01 12:04 PM
Tom Demerly. - 2012-05-01 12:05 PM

Interesting topic.

Sports psychologists roughly divide athletes into two groups: "Associative" and "Disassociative".

Elite level athletes tend to be exclusively associative. They perform "in the moment" and do not use stimulus like music, video on the indoor trainer, reading magazines or surfing the web on the treadmill.

Brainwave research of associative athletes has revealed a more calm, less distracted state and a higher level of concentration. Some athletes report a "thought loop" or process of cognative surveillance where they are constantly checking in on vital parameters like pace, breathing, strategy, distance and time.

After their competition these same athletes would report that events like a 2 hour marathon or 5 hour bike race took much less time than it actually did, a phenomenon known as "time dialation".

On the other hand, associative athletes tended to be recreational level athletes, people trying to lose weight from exercise, etc. Their compulsion to exercise was largely influenced by external stimulus as opposed to internal motive.

This group listened to music while exercising, read, usually gravitated toward group exercise and was less apt to exercise alone. As a group, the disassociative group's performance was not as good as the associative's performance.

In plain language: Concentrate on what you are doing. Keep your mind in the game. Stay in the moment. You'll probably go faster.

Listening to music during workouts doesnt have to be a 'dissosiative' kind of activity - it doesnt have to be used as a means of "ignoring" the activity. Nor does it have to be used as a stimulus to be active. It certainly can be both, but it doesnt have to be. Music is enjoyable. Its fun. Adding it to workouts can enhance the enjoyment of the activity. Going fast and winning and all that - those things are great and all, but having a good time and enjoying the journey is, to me, whats most important.

I agree completely!  

2012-05-01 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4184028

User image

Extreme Veteran

Danno77 - 2012-05-01 1:01 PM As runners/bikers/swimmers nearly every single training activity we do is a scrimmage. You will not find true upper level athletes (football/baseball/soccer) doing scrimmages while listening to music.

This is the point I was trying to get at earlier.

2012-05-01 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago

I used to listen to music while running, but got sick of dealing with sweaty headphones falling out (yurbuds worked only semi-successfully) and ipod armbands chaffing/falling down and just ditched it altogether.

Since then, I have found I enjoy my long runs a LOT more. My focus rotates through a number of things, like thinking about my form/breathing/heart rate, thinking about my training/race goals, checking out the various pace booty in sight, visualizing finishing chutes of various races (mostly IMWI), and planning what I am going to eat after (the latter taking up much more brain space as the run progresses). All of these things seem to lead to more productive workouts - with the exception of checking my form/exertion level, all of these are "carrots;" music is more of a "stick." Carrots work better IMO.

2012-05-01 1:19 PM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
P.S. As was said and quoted a couple of threads ago. There is certainly nothing wrong with doing it, especially if you get enjoyment from it. Enjoyment (as was said) needs to be there or you don't stick with it. What, I believe, Tom and others like myself are saying is that if you want to maximize the physical benefits of your RBS training, then maybe listening to music has [slightly] detrimental side effects, such as providing white noise that subconsciously distracts from the minds ability to read the body's sensations in a meaningful way, or creating a reliance on something that cannot be there on race day.

It's all just something to think about.

Me, I could probably listen to music and watch movies on my cell phone while I train because I ain't winning races and haven't maxed out what I can do just by being active for a great length of time. But I hope to someday be better, I always have big goals in my mind, so why not start acting like I'm a big boy, even when i'm not there yet. It's gotta come some time if I want to achieve that level, might as well be now since I CAN do it...
2012-05-01 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

some people absolutely love music when running, biking, etc.

opposite for me, peace and quiet in my head, and being aware of the surroundings. Especially trail running, or biking. Having to deal with music, playlists, charging, earbuds falling out, etc...no thanks!

The other day I was trail running, and came up behind a biker on a hill, and didn't want to scare him so, I called out "passing on your right" (since he was hogging the left)..He didn't hear me AT ALL, because of the earbuds so jammed up his ears. I think he was pretty surprised when I buzzed past him, since not too many people go on this path.

2012-05-01 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4184074

Veteran

What, I believe, Tom and others like myself are saying is that if you want to maximize the physical benefits of your RBS training, then maybe listening to music has [slightly] detrimental side effects, such as providing white noise that subconsciously distracts from the minds ability to read the body's sensations in a meaningful way, or creating a reliance on something that cannot be there on race day.

I believe this is also accurate. There have been times during important or hard effort runs when I've noticed I havent been paying attention to the music. As an example, on my last hill repeat workout I brought along the ipod. I was stoked about playing a mix I'd never heard. Then about half way through the workout I take a short water break and notice I havent been listening to the music at all! I had been so absorbed and focused on my effort and whatnot that I'd missed the music. It was on and playing, I just wasnt listening.

This example is the reverse of what you're saying, but I can see how it could end up the other way around.

2012-05-01 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I LOVE listening to my music while working out.  It pushes me, gives me a sense of invincibility if it's the right genre or song.  I teach spinning too, so the music plays a huge role in the success of a class and how hard people are willing to work.  That said, I would never use it on the bike outside and never got around to looking into options for indoor swim workouts.

I've run with and without music and am always faster with it, both in training and on race day.  I've only done one tri where the no ipod rule was actually enforced on the run (I've always seen it enforced is on the bike and I've never seen anyone try on the swim).  I've never done a running race where ipods were disallowed including marathons.

Certain types of music (for me, hard rock sprinkled with some dub step) just stir something up deep inside me that makes me want to lift a building.  It pushes me to go far beyond what I think my limits are.

2012-05-01 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4184036

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
michael_runs - 2012-05-01 2:04 PM

Danno77 - 2012-05-01 1:01 PM As runners/bikers/swimmers nearly every single training activity we do is a scrimmage. You will not find true upper level athletes (football/baseball/soccer) doing scrimmages while listening to music.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EwKS5rN64cc/SMf5ZbPH2vI/AAAAAAAABfs/AejSb7lFNKU/s400/matthew+mcconaughey+lance+armstrong.jpg

OK...so except for him...

I left my Garmin and ipod home the other night and went-out for my 8 miler.  Finished 6 minutes faster than the week before.  I was paying more attention to how I was running and noticed if I was slacking, if my feet were clomping, etc.  That said, I love my gadgets and my Eminem...

2012-05-01 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4184199

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
GomesBolt - 2012-05-01 2:52 PM
michael_runs - 2012-05-01 2:04 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EwKS5rN64cc/SMf5ZbPH2vI/AAAAAAAABfs/AejSb7lFNKU/s400/matthew+mcconaughey+lance+armstrong.jpg

OK...so except for him...

I left my Garmin and ipod home the other night and went-out for my 8 miler.  Finished 6 minutes faster than the week before.  I was paying more attention to how I was running and noticed if I was slacking, if my feet were clomping, etc.  That said, I love my gadgets and my Eminem...

I don't think EVERY workout has to be a scrimmage, but staying at the same pace, maintaining form and in the same zone (RPE, HR, Power, whatever) takes a lot more concentration than we give it credit for.

I used to run with music all the time. I gradually phased it out as I became less and less aware of what it was doing. At one point the music actually stopped and it took me a while to notice.

I find that as I'm running I'm constantly checking the status on things in a progression similar to the one below:

HR - Adjust effort.
Form - Foot striking correctly - focus on pushing hips forward for a few strides.
Route - turns or hills coming up? Where am I?
Fatigue - correct for where I am in the run?
Pain - Any joints hurting?

If it's a race you can add picking a route through the crowd. Picking a target to pass, planning a finishing strategy, etc. Obviously the checklist varies a little and I don't spell it out by asking myself the questions or specifically rotating through the subjects, but focusing on those takes up all my time.

I do love my music and still run with it occasionally, just not all the time. Sterophonics have treated me well recently, although I have some prog rock and folk on there for when I feel the urge.

2012-05-01 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Edwards AFB
I love music in my normal life but not so much in my training life..  Mostly because I dont like fumbling around with too many gadgets and cords and such.  If an ear bud falls out..  cord gets in my way, etc.  I really want to hear the sounds around me, the whirrrr of my bike tires, and the stroke in the water.  But that's all just personal preference.
2012-05-01 3:45 PM

User image

Runner
If someone wants to listen to music, I don't care. I have chosen not to listen to music for the following reasons:

1) It is distracting to me. When I am running, I am trying to focus on my body and mind, and music tends to prevent me from doing so. It is similar to the little crawler on the news channels; it keeps my focus broken and shifting.

2) It affects my form. As other people have said that they like to run with music to give them a prescribed number of steps, I avoid music for this exact reason. I want my body to decide what the best cadence is, and not something external to my running.

3) Too much thought is needed. I have to have something to hold the player, and then fiddle with the ear buds, and then have play lists ready to go and loaded (assuming I remember to set them up in the first place), and blah blah blah. Too much for me. I know myself well enough to know that I need simplicity; too many steps, and I get overwhelmed and don't do it.

4) It can have a negative impact on my prescribed training. If my day is supposed to be easy, and I'm getting all pumped up on music, then chances are I'm not going to be running easy anymore, and I've just defeated the purpose of my training.
2012-05-01 8:26 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
I listen to music when I exercise. When training, there are way to many things to focus on that don't benefit from any distractions. So no music when seriously training
2012-05-01 8:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

i listen to music during swim (h2o ipod shuffle case), bike, and run ( dont tell me about not listening during the bike just don't)

and its all as chill as i can go, jack johnson, john mayer, norah jones ect.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To music or not to music, that is the question. Rss Feed  

of 2