USAT
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 48s
Overall Rank = 122/465
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, but not too early because this race is 10 minutes from my house. Had my bowl of cereal and a Clif Bar, OJ and some coffee. Checked my fantasy baseball team and it looked like there was nothing I could do to avoid defeat. Oh well. Got all my gear together and headed out to the race site at about 5:35 AM. Got to the site, and it was about a 1/2 mile from the parking to the transition area, so I rode my bike there. Does that count as warm up?
Event warmup:

Ran about half a mile, with a little stretching in the middle, then swam about 50 - 100 meters. Good news, the water was relatively clear, except near the edges where the mud had been churned up. Then, of course, I had to make a last minute stop at the Port-a-John, with only 8 minutes left until we close the transition area...
Swim
  • 17m 28s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Racing as a Clydesdale, we were in the last wave, with the Athenas (a couple of whom were fairly proud of their status as Athenas...) and the relays. There were 24 Clydesdales in all. And off we went!

In all, I felt rather at ease the entire length of the swim, never any stress or duress. I started on the outside edge, and aimed for the shoreline to try to swim the most direct route. Now, because I was in such a small wave, I couldn't rely on others around me to navigate, so I had to look up about every 12-20 strokes. Most of the time, I was pretty much on course, so I guess I am getting better at that.

However, I could not help thinking that I should not have played golf Saturday morning, followed by an easy 5/1 brick. I think that my arms were a little fatigued from five hours in the sun doing motions that they are not as used to anymore. That was probably good to find out in this race, as opposed to one of my higher prioritized races.

On the way back, the sun was peaking out above the trees to my left, so I needed to breathe to my right. It would have been nicer to breathe left, since that was where the buoys were, but no big.

Made the final turn and headed on in to the finish. When I got out, one of the pins on my watch broke, so it was hanging by one end. It's one of those velcro straps, so it stayed on my wrist... More on that later. I got out in 17:26, and I was hoping for something below 16:00. My swim split was 11th among Clydesdales.
What would you do differently?:

I guess I could have pressed a little more on the swim. I felt very smooth and in control the entire way, so I could have picked up the stroke rate a little. I'm not sure if I could have held my stroke length constant, though.

The only reason that I am saying the swim was below average is that I did not hit my goal time. My next race is an Olympic distance, so the "easy" pace that I established will be nice for that race.

The one thing I will do differently before the next race is that I won't play golf the day before. It's just a little too draining to do that the day before.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

My bike was on the first rack out of the swim. Good because it was easy to get to my bike. Bad because I had to run with the bike from the far corner to the bike start, which was in the middle of the transition area.

Wouldn't you know that I got stuck on my shirt again! That probably cost me a few seconds. I had that fixed at the last race, now it comes to get me again. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

At the start of the bike, I tried to push off, then get my foot in the pedal while moving. Didn't work. I had to stop, and then clip in, then get going. Riiiight.

Work the shirt better. Stop the bike to get the first pedal clipped in. Probably about 20 seconds off my time right there.
Bike
  • 38m 19s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.36 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike split was 4th out of Clydesdales. Here is where I started making up time. I was sure that I was about 20th out of the water among Clydesdales, so I felt like I needed to gobble up some time. I was not passed on the bike by anyone. I was able to keep about a 21.5 mile pace on the way out, and about 19.5 on the way in, close as I could figure. Drafting was never a concern, because no one came at me from behind, and I easily passed everyone I came into contact with.

Looking at the splits, I passed 6 of the 10 Clydesdales that finished faster than me in the swim. With the Age-Groupers, you can tell which group the others are in, because they mark it on your calf. However, not all the Clydesdales had a "C". Oh well.

Start better with the pedal issue. Other than that, I was pretty pleased with the bike. I wish that someone could have passed me to give a little more incentive to go faster, but that is something we cannot control, no?

Bottom line is that I need to get stronger on the bike so I can hit 23 MPH or so, and I hope to be able to make some of those improvements over the off-season.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Ok, remember how my spot was right at the swim exit? It was on the far corner from the run start, so I had to negotiate 1.5X the transition area in T2, half with my bike. That's just luck, and the other Clydesdales were right there with me.

T2 went pretty smoothly. I took a second to slam some cold water, but it was time well spent.
Run
  • 21m 6s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Here's the good news: My run was 1st among Clydesdales! Now the bad news: I was hoping for something under 20 minutes. I think this is where we get back to how I spent my Saturday. Again, I played golf, which was 5 hours in the sun, with a little walking thrown in. Then, I rode 5 miles at a pretty good pace and followed that with a 1 mile run at pretty good pace. In all, I think it was too much.

The funny thing is that I ran a faster run in my previous race, which featured some moderate hills. Also, that week, I trained hard on M-Th, while this week was an easy recovery week.

I tried to force myself to attack the run, because it was only 3 miles. My splits were 7:07, 7:16 and 6:43. Only one other competitor passed me on the run, and it was a kid that was part of a relay team. Not bad. Turns out that I passed two of the remaining four Clydesdales on the run to finish second among big boys. Yay me.

Rest a little more on Friday and Saturday. Did I mention that I spent three hours mowing and trimming the lawn on Friday afternoon?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and drank Gatorade, water. Had a banana and some pizza.

I was pretty sure that I would finish somewhere around 10 in Clydesdales, so I surprised when I saw the unofficial results posted. The bad news is that meant that I had to stick around for another hour and a half to collect my plaque. Why do they always have to annouce Clydesdales last?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It's swimming again. Here's a funny stat. I was 1 minute faster than 3rd place, but 7 minutes slower than 1st. He beat me by ~3 minutes on the swim and ~4 minutes on the bike. I need to get stronger on the bike, better at the swim and still faster on the run. I am satisfied with where I am at now, so these are things to work on as we continue this journey.

Event comments:

Overall, it was a nice race. The T-shirt design is solid, and the setting underneath the centuries-old pecan trees is nice as well. I am thrilled that I finished 2nd, and I still have some things to work on.

I can't wait to test myself in July at the Olympic length. It's going to be tough for me to do very well there, because of the disproportionate length of the swim. (It'll be roughly double this race in all disciplines...) But it is going to be fun to get there!

Last updated: 2004-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:28 | 880 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/465
Performance: Below average
Suit: Pearl Izumi Tri Shorts
Course: It was an out and back through a lake in a subdivision. I know what you're thinking - eeewww. But this lake is actually fairly nice to swim in. You'd never catch me in the lake in my subdivision - it's visible BROWN. Okay, this lake is long and skinny, and we were told to keep the buoys to our left, but there were a couple places where you could cut some distance off the swim by swimming closer to the shore than to the buoy. Near the end, there is a left turn, and you swim the last 40 - 50 meters perpendicular to the shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:19 | 13 miles | 20.36 mile/hr
Overall: 140/465
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on a major four-lane divided highway. There was one large dip under a railroad track at mile one, followed by two moderate overpasses, then the rest of it was flat. What little wind there was was at our backs on the way out, and into our faces on the way in. Of course, the fact that the Clydesdales were 20 minutes after the start of the race added to the wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:06 | 03 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 76/465
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly sidewalks through the subdivision. It was virtually all flat and shady. One lousy arched bridge that you ran over twice, and the finish was through an old pecan orchard in the grass. That was nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-06-14 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: Tejas Triathlon

2004-06-14 12:18 PM
in reply to: #31263

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Tejas Triathlon
Great race and finish.  Awesome time too.  Your bike split is impressive as are all your times.  Speed will come, what is golf?  I gave that up and can't imagine trying to swing a club now.  Good luck in your next race.
2004-06-14 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Looking good, Phil! Great times--you MUST be pleased with them. So did that mean you came in 3rd in the Clydesdales?? Do you get an award for that???? Good work!

Dana
2004-06-14 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX

Check your math!  I got 2ND!  Therefore, I have a nice plaque propped up against my computer for all visitors to my office to view.

Edited by Tiger Phil 2004-06-14 1:22 PM
2004-06-14 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Oops, please accept my apologies!! (o:

Wow--I want a plaque... guess I better get by lazy patookus out for my run this afternoon!!

Dana
2004-06-14 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job! Very impressive!

Kelly

2004-06-14 10:17 PM