Big Sur International Marathon
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 40m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:00am to be down in the lobby for the bus at 4am. Had some apple/cinnamon instant oatmeal made with hot water from the coffee maker and some coffee and a bottle of water. 3:45am, Fran texted me that they were already in the lobby and I rushed to meet them. I didn't want to be on the bus alone. When I got to the lobby, Fran had gone back to her room for something she forgot, so we waited. Susan ran to the bathroom. Fran got back and then had forgotten her camera so back up she went. Now 4:15am and the lobby is empty except for me and Susan and my nerves are kicking in. To the bathroom and back, still no Fran. Fran finally got down to the lobby and I did not kill anyone and kept my mouth shut so all was good. Then we went outside for the bus and we were told to walk to the end of the block. Well, the end of the block turned and the line to get on the buses was 0.5 miles long. We finally boarded a bus at 4:30am and were on our way up the dark highway. Bus driver told someone he had never driven the Big Sur coastal highway, and it was pitch dark. Closed my eyes and prayed that we would not go over a cliff.
Event warmup:

Finally got off the bus at 5:35am. Made our way over sleeping and stretching bodies to the port-a-potties and then to gear check. Grabbed a 4 oz glass of gatorade and threw my sweats and phone in gear check. Met the marathon maniacs, or at least some of them for a quick pic. The marathon was starting in 3 waves to prevent the slow people from starting early to gain a 15 minute cushion so fast people at 6:45am (2:30-3:30), wave 2 (3:31-4:45)at 6:50am and finally wave 3 (4:46-6:00) at 6:55am. Many announcements that the finish would close promptly at 1pm and the 22 mile would close at 12pm.

Took a quick pre-race picture; national anthem and then 1st wave was off. 5:30 pacer was near and I just knew that her chattiness would drive me insane. I choose not to run with her. I already knew her life story and we hadn't even started. She warned us that she planned on talking all 5:30 hours. Oh joy. Must figure out how to not be near her. I'm annoyed but trying not to be as it is not good karma.

No real warm up, that'll come during the 1st 3 miles.

Run
  • 5h 40m 26s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I am not good at this race report stuff so I've probably written stuff where it doesn't belong. I don't care. This was the most amazing experience and I can't express in words that this was not a race as much as it was an experience. I ended with a 1:30 PR on a course that is not a PR course. I felt so confident and empowered at the end. Getting that beautiful teardrop ceramic medal at the end was so earned!!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

After the race, I cried. I cried because I wanted to keep going. I never wanted that amazing experience to end. I cried because my husband was not at the finish line to hug me. It is the 1st marathon/triathlon where my Billy was not there for me to see and hug at the finish line. My 1st course of action was to find gear check and get my phone so I could text him. Warm down was walking 3 blocks from the bus drop off back to our hotel, all up hill. That was a little difficult as stiffness had set while riding on the bus.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEADWINDS!!! worst in the history of the race!!

Event comments:

Amazing race!! Can't wait to do it again!!

Post race party was awesome!! Would not change anything about the event!!

Last updated: 2012-05-04 12:00 AM
Running
05:40:26 | 26.2 miles | 12m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Pace was good: 11:30-12:30 min/mile for most of race. 14 min/mile for the 3 mile climb up to Hurricaine Point. Pretty proud of that. Lots of photo op stops, 2 port-a-pottie breaks and a break to drop behind the chatty pacer at mile 7. I tried to get in front of her and I think I could've maintained there but I could hear her. I had to get far enough behind her so I couldn't hear her. Silly I know but this course is known to be spiritual and I wanted to surround myself with the experience, not listen to someone else's experience. This was my time. My gift. My run.
Course: I have never had a spiritual experience on a course before. I have had them on trail runs and even morning runs but never during an event. I made peace with a lot of my demons on this amazing course. The fog that surrounded us for many miles just seemed to be engulfing, like a big moist hug and someone carrying me up those hills. Headwinds of 35-50mph for at least 10 miles of the race. My arms would get cold and I'd pull up my arm warmers. The wind would die down a little and I'd have to pull them down.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-04 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Subject: Big Sur International Marathon

2012-05-04 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4191015

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Big Sur International Marathon

It is a spiritual race, but you created the spiritual experience for yourself.

CONGRATULATIONS, Jo. This was a huge beast, but you walked with the lion, and found it within.

2012-05-04 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4191021

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA

So So Amazing!   Congratualations on this accomplishment.  Great write-up....made me emotional!

I was there at the bleachers to cheer on two friends who ran the 26.2.   They both said essentially the same things that you did...that there were many moments of clarity, emotion, exhilaration, pride, etc as they ran the course. 

Whats also cool is that my friend Dominic, crossed the finish about 1 minute after You!!!  

2012-05-04 3:02 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Well done Jo!! Congratulations!
2012-05-04 7:54 PM

User image

Regular
Marietta, GA
Enjoyed reliving this race through your report. Loved being out there!We're the winds really the worst in race history? I'd love to tell my coach that little fact.
2012-05-04 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4191701

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

pmruns - 2012-05-04 8:54 PM Enjoyed reliving this race through your report. Loved being out there!We're the winds really the worst in race history? I'd love to tell my coach that little fact.

Per the race directors at the post-race party and a man that I ran near that had run all 27 Big Sur's, these were the strongest winds.  The Monterey Herald reported them out as 40mph average in the marathon report on Monday. 

2012-05-05 7:29 AM

User image

Expert

You, my cave sister, are awesome!   I never had a doubt that you'd get your medal.  Not once.  You are strong like bull!   

So glad the experience was all you'd hoped for and so so so deserve, and that you got YOUR time! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

2012-05-06 3:48 PM
in reply to: #4191818

User image

Regular
Marietta, GA
Thanks! Congratulations on your finish. It was quite a day out there!
2012-05-07 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Congrads! My wife and I ran the marathon also.  What a beautiful race.  But yeah...those headwinds SUCKED!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Sur International Marathon Rss Feed