Longboat Key Triathlon Race Series
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 21s
Overall Rank = 62/150
Age Group = Under 39 Clydes
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45 am, 2% milk, 2 slices of whole wheat bread, and out the door. Arrived at 5:30 and went to body marking. Very glad I went early, it was open racks (no assigned rack) and it was the first race where they used the wooden tire racks instead of the metal poles. I was able to get the 2nd spot in on the rack closest to the bike exit. A friend that will be doing her first tri next weekend met me to see what happens in transition. Felt good to be able to help someone else.
Event warmup:

Not much, walked to swim start, some static stretches and wait for the horn.
Swim
  • 09m 5s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Speakers at start were not very loud, so with earplugs in, I missed the count down to the start. The horn caught me by surprise. Lots of bodies at the beginning. Held my line really well and made the first buoy about middle of the pack. Started to catch some people between buoy 1 and 2. Felt like I was swimming very well. Made the last turn and stayed with the same two guys all the way to the shore.
What would you do differently?:

Not much other than pay attention to the announcer.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Fastest T1 in my division by 33 seconds!!! Getting there early really paid off, had a great spot for T1. I also really liked the wheel racks as opposed to the metal ones.

Anti-fog my sunglasses. I had to hold them in my teeth until they cleared up.
Bike
  • 37m 46s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Had hoped to hit 20 mph average, but ended up just over 19 mph. Course was great, effort level was right where I was hoping for. Held my cadence very well. Got passed on the bike by my division winner at about mile 3. More training would have made the difference.

Train more. Otherwise a very good bike leg.
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

Best T2 in my division by 12 seconds! If I could find a race with 4 or 5 transitions, I could really make up some time. Again, really liked the wheel racks, very easy to drop in the front tire and go.

Shake my shoes after I sprayed them with baby powder during set-up. I could feel a big clump of powder in each shoe.
Run
  • 26m 57s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Not my best, but better than expected, especially the 4:20 first 800 yds. and the last 4:02 800 yds. Now, if I could only hold that pace the entire way! Got passed by the 2nd place Clyde with just over a mile to go. Tried to stay with him but he was cruising. Still, overall, not a bad run.

More training, more training, more training.
Post race
Warm down:

Typical end of race for me, water, shade, walk around then find some food. Met back up with my friend who was watching, chatted for a bit, saw another BTer who aged up this year so we are no longer in the same group and said hi.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For my current level of training/conditioning - nothing. For where I know I can ride and run and where I want to be again - my lack of time to train is really taking a toll on my success.

Event comments:

Not too bad for a first year event. The location is fabulous for a triathlon. I also like that it is part of a points series instead of just a stand alone race.

Last updated: 2012-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:05 | 440 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 41/150
Performance: Good
Suit: Ryder Bikes team tri suit
Course: Triangle course with swim start and exit on the same 50 feet of beach. With only 3 waves this wasn't an issue. Swim was in the lagoon/harbor on the south end of Longboat Key on the bay side of the island. Great location for a swim. Calm, fairly clear, easy sighting and no current/tide.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:05
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:46 | 12 miles | 19.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 69/150
Wind: None
Course: Out and back along Gulf of Mexico Drive. Great location for a bike race. New, smooth, flat, and fast asphalt.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:57 | 03 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 80/150
Course: Out and back along the road between the hotels and the golf course. This was a change from what was advertised. Original course went through the golf course. Didn't really mind the change, allowed me to see where I was in relation to other Clydes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes