Lilac Bloomsday Association
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 33s
Overall Rank = 693/47,841
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 80/1523
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 6. Ate toast w/jam, banana. went to sleep on the couch till 7:30. Got up, got #on. drove to the race.
Event warmup:

Ran about 1 mile to the start at 9:30/mi pace. stretched. Prayed. realized how fortunate I am to be able to do these types of things and how important it is to live everyday doing His business while here on earth.
Listened to music on mp3 till the starting gun.
Run
  • 52m 33s
  • 7.46 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I saw a wheelchair guy at the bottom of Doomsday who had obviously flipped. He had road rash so bad on his shoulder and a terrible amount of scab and blood. If I hadn't been so zoned on pr'ing, I'd have stopped and asked if he needed anything. Dude was a warrior, and a champion in anyone's book.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I ran the perfect race this year. Next year, I will not take an extended period off (6 months last year), and I will go sub 50:00.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt like vomitting at end after 2.5 mile race to finish. Walked the monroe street bridge the 1/2 mile or so to the T shirts, walked back to car. met another runner on way to car and had a pleasent conversation about eachothers training. Nice meeting you Ira.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HIM training with Marathon training has taken my training focus away from strictly run focus to all 3, and I haven't gotten enough speed work in on the run. No more marathon's after this year, so I will again add track work sprinting to my run training as I continue HIM and eventually IM training. Also, no taper as I'm on the last 3 weeks before marathon, and I biked and ran hard up to the day of race.

Event comments:

If your not into people, this is not the race for you. 47,800+ runners this year, and they say it's the lowest turn out in years!

Last updated: 2012-05-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:52:33 | 07.46 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 80/1523
Overall: 691/47,841
Performance: Good
Course: Mile 1. Dodging thousands of people, literally. Most of first mile is sprinting around slower traffic and trying not to get knocked over or knock anyone over in the process. 7:00 pace. Mile 2. Starting to thin out, but not much. huge downhill followed by decent up. 6:45 pace. Mile 3. Thinning to the point of freedom. Now I can run my race. Pace is catching up to me as my fastest training run has been 7:20/mi pace. mile 3 ends with solid up and I hit 7:10 pace. Mile 4. good up to start, then it flattens and has decent downhill as you head to Doomsday. pick it up to 7:00 pace. Mile 5. Doomsday. 7:30 pace. I'm off my goal of 7:00 mile, and at mile 5 marker, I have to run sub 7:00's to get pr of under 53:00. I've already prepared in my mind the speach of why I couldn't do it as I crest Doomsday, but 20 feet later I tell myself to quit puss'n out and hit the pedal to the metal. last 2.5, are flat and long as you sprint an almost unbearable pace to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %IDK
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes