General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing with NSAIDs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-07 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Heber City, UT/San Carlos, Mexico
Subject: Racing with NSAIDs

Background... then question.
So I finished my first IM this weekend at St George.... that was friggen gnarly.

On Friday morning before the race, my back popped out. Happens a few times a year, I'm 47 years old, used to it. Usually takes about 2-3 days of bedrest for me to be back up and moving. This time, I didn't have the luxury of 2-3 days. So Friday I laid in bed all day and popped Cyclobenzaprine's and a BUNCH of Ibuprofen. I was slightly hunched, but able to walk at 4:30am race day, so popped more Ibuprofen and decided to go for it. A few more before the race to get me thru the swim (which was a challenge that day), then some more onto the bike, and also at T2 so I could do the marathon upright.

So during the marathon, I had some pretty severe leg cramps. Nothing like I've had before. I took plenty of SaltTabs and e-lyte drink on the ride. Didn't matter, my legs were just cramping majorly which kind-of ruined my run time... don't get me wrong. I was ecstatic to finish and hear Reilly call my name :^)

Question... Does anyone have any expertise in medicines which would help explain this? Does Ibuprofen screw up your musculature? Screw up your sodium balance in muscles?

If so, what would have been a better option for me to manage strong lower back pain on race day???

(PS, asked this at SlowT a few hours ago, no luck. Hopefully better here Smile)

2012-05-07 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4195157

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Racing with NSAIDs
Ibuprofen is broken down by the kidneys. In a race like IM, the kidneys are doing a LOT of work already. It is not at all uncommon for athletes to be in renal insufficiency or acute renal failure at the end of an endurance event. Ibuprofen will simply throw gas on the fire in this situation.
2012-05-07 2:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

As the previous poster noted, ibuprofen can cause or contribute to renal failure when used in high doses (greater than 2500mg/day), and the stress of an IM could have potentially made it worse. However, I doubt the leg cramps were related. Those were more likely tied to fitness/energy expenditure during the bike.

As long as you're peeing well now, the ibuprofen shouldn't be an issue. Flexeril, however, is related to tricyclic antidepressants such as amitryptiline and can be fatal if taken well above the recommended dosing (10mg TID)

2012-05-07 2:41 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

I do have personal experience racing with NSAIDs at Ironman Canada, The Marathon des Sables, Jordan Telecom Desert Cup and a number of other ultra-distance races.

I do not have medical expertise as I am not a medical expert.

My experience with Aleve during events has been very good. Substantial improvement in comfort, no ill effects. I'l also used aspirin and for me, it does not work as well.

2012-05-07 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC

I agree with the above that ibuprofen wasn't related to cramping.  If you don't have renal or dehydration problems and are taking it as directed, NSAIDS shouldn't cause kidney issues either.  I'm a big fan of naproxen sodium for both prophalaxis and treatment of musculoskeletal pain and inflammation. 

However, drugs affect different people differently.  If you think the ibuprofen was the cause of your issues, don't take it.

2012-05-07 3:07 PM

User image

I used NSAIDs for my first marathon, finished feeling pretty good as I met my goal and my second half was within 2 minutes of my first half.  Later that day though I had kidney pain for a few hours as I rolled around in bed.  I vowed to never use NSAIDs again during a race.

I never heard of NSAIDs causing cramps.  My best guess is that the cramps were simply due to you tackling an unreal course, on what sounded like an unreal day.  Congrats.

2012-05-08 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4195470

User image

Veteran
Heber City, UT/San Carlos, Mexico

Thanks for the input everyone!

And TOM... you've raced the Marathon Des Sables? Nice!
I made the lottery for it in 2013.

Can't be any harder than the St G Ironman... right?    SealedSealedSealed

2012-05-08 8:26 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Please do not give anecdotal advice about your personal experience with NSAIDS and endurance events as an endorsement that they are "OK" and the OP shouldn't have any problems as long as he is urinating.

The kidneys can lose most of their function and you'll still urinate just fine...you do have two of them after all. Kidney failure and insufficiency is not an either/or scenario.

Ibuprofin & Alleve are both in the NSAID category which restrict blood flow to the kidney by constricting the blood vessels going TO the kidneys..they get less blood than they normally do. Couple this with dehydration from any cause, and an endurance event like an Ironman and it's a recipe for disaster.

Endurance athletes should NEVER use NSAIDS to deal with pain or discomfort to get through a workout or race.
2012-05-08 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4198705

User image

AdventureBear - 2012-05-08 9:26 PM Please do not give anecdotal advice about your personal experience with NSAIDS and endurance events as an endorsement that they are "OK" and the OP shouldn't have any problems as long as he is urinating. The kidneys can lose most of their function and you'll still urinate just fine...you do have two of them after all. Kidney failure and insufficiency is not an either/or scenario. Ibuprofin & Alleve are both in the NSAID category which restrict blood flow to the kidney by constricting the blood vessels going TO the kidneys..they get less blood than they normally do. Couple this with dehydration from any cause, and an endurance event like an Ironman and it's a recipe for disaster. Endurance athletes should NEVER use NSAIDS to deal with pain or discomfort to getthrough a workout or race.

Disclaimer: Not yet a doctor.

This.  A prof of ours the other day who has been either medical staff or actually running the Boston Marathon for years (he's an anesthesiologist) went over this the other day in class specifically within the context of endurance sports.  Definitely don't take NSAIDS (advil/ibuprofen, Aleve/naproxen, etc) prior or during any endurance event or training.  If you have pain and need something, tylenol is acceptable barring any prior issues you might have with that.  

Note, if you have hypertension and are controlling it with an ace inhibitor or ARB, DEFINITELY don't take NSAIDS, but your doc should have told you that as well.  Same with renal insufficiency within the context of endurance sports etc etc. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing with NSAIDs Rss Feed