General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelhead vs. MI Titanium Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-06-26 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4198797

User image

in a van, down by the river
Subject: RE: Steelhead vs. MI Titanium
anyone have a sense on how soon I'd need to register for Steelhead before it's fu ll ?

2012-06-27 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4240583

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
fsr402 - 2012-06-02 10:09 AM
Shermbelle - 2012-06-01 3:27 PM

I have done Steelhead 3x and many others have summed up my main thoughts of it. I love "big" races and the feel and the excitement of them but there is a sort of "cockiness" with them about this is how we do it, we are obviously successful and if you don't like it who cares. I have only swam once. It is a really nice course though, but can be very busy on the bike and way too much drafting in my opinion. I really like the run course too, you are never alone out there.

I am on the fence for signing up for the full at MITI, drove the bike course last week and too me it seemed a little more than rolling.

I have rode these streets a few times over the years. Other then the one climb in the first few miles it really is rolling. The momentum from one hill will just about put me over the next. As for it being wetsuit legal, it's a good chance that it would be. Being it's a man made lake it's spring fed so that helps keep the temps down.

A buddy I ride with all the time is doing the bike leg of the 140.6 relay so as part of his training he's ridden the entire course spread out over multiple rides.  He would disagree that it's essentially rollers...Add some wind and they turn into mountains...In a good way of course..

2013-02-14 9:48 AM

Does anyone out there have a Garmin file (or some compatible file) of the bike and/or run courses for MI Titanium?  I know they're changing the bike course at least this year.  I'm going for the half-iron distance, and want to try to ride it on a CompuTrainer.

Thanks!

2013-02-14 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4238298

epicraces - 2012-05-31 9:53 PM It looks like none of you would be eligible for this, but in this thread I do want to mention that the same day as these other two HIMs, Epic Races will be putting on the Tri Goddess Tri Half.  (Would love to call lit the TGT 70.3, but not allowed to do that.)  The only other all women's half in the country is Barb's Race in conjunction with Vineman.  So... any ladies who are reading this thread, please consider this race as well!  Details are at www.epicraces.com

Then why even bring it up? Also consider the ruckus, in this day and age, what "men only" races would cause. Furthermore, I'd love to see a man or transgendered individual sign up for one of those races and watch the lawyers have fun with it.

2013-02-14 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4622209

User image

Expert
MI
lhpoulin - 2013-02-14 11:53 AM

epicraces - 2012-05-31 9:53 PM It looks like none of you would be eligible for this, but in this thread I do want to mention that the same day as these other two HIMs, Epic Races will be putting on the Tri Goddess Tri Half.  (Would love to call lit the TGT 70.3, but not allowed to do that.)  The only other all women's half in the country is Barb's Race in conjunction with Vineman.  So... any ladies who are reading this thread, please consider this race as well!  Details are at www.epicraces.com

Then why even bring it up? Also consider the ruckus, in this day and age, what "men only" races would cause. Furthermore, I'd love to see a man or transgendered individual sign up for one of those races and watch the lawyers have fun with it.

lol. I guess 3D is going to be stirring up a ruckus then.  They are putting on "the region's first all-men's triathlon"

http://www.3disciplines.com/Events/Hot-Pursuit-Mens-Triathlon/

2013-02-16 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4622768

It's a bad idea. Triathlon is an inclusive sport. You, I, or even a first-timer can race the same course at the same time as Pete Jacobs, Crowie, Macca, Rinny, Chrissie Wellington, or Leanda Cave. Our society is divisive enough at this moment in history and it's not a good idea to extend that to a sport that is traditionally inclusive.

Edited by lhpoulin 2013-02-16 11:42 AM

2013-02-18 10:32 AM

User image

New user
Philadelphia

Hi all.  I want to reg for Steelhead but was reading an old reply that stated it is not very spectator friendly.  I understand you (and your family) are expected to hoof it from transition to the swim start - is that what they were referring to? Can anyone elaborate?

My first HIM was an inaugural IronMan 70.3, it was a disaster for many reasons (Ironman has since dropped it) but my main complaint was that everyone had to be bussed to the swim start because the athletes biked out of the park and there was only one road in/out. The shuttles were limited, your family had to pay to ride and they could not be shuttled back out of the park until the last cyclist was out of the park when ever that was.  Disaster.

I raced HIM Racine last year, it was very spectator friendly and the Lake Michigan was fabulous!   

2013-02-18 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft Campbell, Kentucky

Yep, to race at Steelhead you have to walk to the starting point from the exit spot. The reason you do is depending on which way the current is flowing in Lake Michigan that morning. They want all to swim with the current.

If you have people who want to watch, there is a bit of a walk to get from parking lots to the transition area and finish line. The bus transportation provided worked great for me.

Overall, I thought it was a real good place to race. Small rollers on the bike, but there is a bit a good hill on the run. The finishing mile is pretty cool. You run out of the woods and onto the beach down a road surrounded by small sand dunes!

2013-02-19 7:49 AM

User image

New user
Michigan

I definitely don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm in a similar predicament only I'm trying to compare the MiTi full to IM Louisville.  I was planning to do Louisville this year, but circumstances have changed and it's no longer as favorable an option as it was previously.  

I COULD push to still make it but the situation isn't ideal.  Plus, the Louisville trip would be at least $1,000 more expensive than sticking around here once you add in lodging, food, gas, and a hefty entry fee.

MiTi full looks decent, but the field from last year was SMALL.  

Anyone do the full last year? If you've done the MiTi full do you have a WTC event to compare it to? 

2013-02-19 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4626746

User image

New user
Michigan

I've done steelhead, the start isn't that spectacular.  It's almost entirely participants.  As others have stated, this is a result of a game-time decision about currents.  Most families seemed to congregate around the swim exit which is right next to transition adn the start/finish.  

My family had an AMAZING day--it's right on a beautiful beach, so they loosely followed my progress through online updates and would migrate up to transition and then the finish as needed.  

2013-02-22 12:54 AM
in reply to: #4627926

Trimi140 - 2013-02-19 7:49 AM

I definitely don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm in a similar predicament only I'm trying to compare the MiTi full to IM Louisville.  I was planning to do Louisville this year, but circumstances have changed and it's no longer as favorable an option as it was previously.  

I COULD push to still make it but the situation isn't ideal.  Plus, the Louisville trip would be at least $1,000 more expensive than sticking around here once you add in lodging, food, gas, and a hefty entry fee.

Anyone do the full last year? If you've done the MiTi full do you have a WTC event to compare it to? 

I read a blog post from the second place finisher.  He compared it to other Ironman events that he had raced.   Since I am up all night at work, I willl see if I can find it.

2013-02-22 1:30 AM
in reply to: #4632671

Here is the second place finishers blog about Mi Ti

http://www.goalisthejourney.com/2012_09_01_archive.html

2013-02-24 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4627926

Extreme Veteran
Trimi140 - 2013-02-19 7:49 AM

I completed the full MiTi and in 2011 I completed Ironman in Couer d'Alene.  Both were huge accomplishments, I felt both courses were of equal challenge.  MiTi was very organized the aid stations on the run were plentiful, but there could have been a few more on the bike course.  The field was small, but I was never alone on the course.  The volunteers were great.   

The biggest difference is the atmosphere and events that surround race day.  I think the answer to this question will be different for everyone.  I loved every minute of the Ironman experience, walking around the expo, the athlete dinner, seeing 2000+ bikes racked in transition, and being completly immersed by triathletes brought up many different emotions.  A certain bond among strangers ready to take on the world and succeed.  The feeling of running down the finish shoot is incredible and one that I'll never forget. 

The finish at MiTi was pretty much just like any other race that I've done.  I'm sure the field will be bigger this year, and there will be more spectators.  As previously posted, the bike course has changed,  and so there might be more aid stations as well. 

In my opinion, if you have the money, do a WTC event.  I think it was money well spent.  It was a trip my family will never forget. 

Edited by gojogo 2013-02-24 3:22 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelhead vs. MI Titanium Rss Feed  

of 2