General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Amica 19.7 Tellico Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-10 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Amica 19.7 Tellico Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

I'm looking at this tri as a destination race as part of my summer vacation.  We are thinking about spending a few nights in Gatlinburg before heading over towards Knoxville.  So my questions are:

1. What is there to do with 2 boys (10 & 7) near the race site the day before or after the tri?

2. How bad are the hills?  I'm from Florida and my only "hill" is a 65' high bridge.

3. What is the average temperature for the swim?  Wetsuit legal?  

Thanks for any input,

Chris

2012-05-10 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4202367

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Amica 19.7 Tellico Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

Hi Chris, Kevin (RD) checks pretty regularly so he can probably shed the best insight but...

1.) There's plenty for the kids, besides the outdoorsy stuff (fishing, hiking, etc) there is premium shopping, lots of good theatres, downtown life (maybe not so much for the kids) and music, and some pretty decent places to eat.

2.) TN hills aren't too bad if you are from the area, but pretty rough for flat landers. The Amica course doesn't have any sustained long climbs, but a couple of short steep bits and some false flats that will drain on you.

3.) Last year it was JUST wetsuit legal... this year we've been having unusually warm temps so I would certainly plan on it NOT being wetsuit legal.  That said, it's a straight, fast swim so you should enjoy it.

I'd recommend the race, just make sure you know exactly which way to go on the run course... that's been an issue a couple of times (though usually only for the first few runners) Hope to see you there!

2012-05-10 6:24 PM
in reply to: #4202432

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Thanks Chris. I read your RRs before I posted. The fact you would still recommend this race speaks volumes. I tried to find an elevation chart for the race but didn't have any luck. Hopefully I can sell my wife on this one.
2012-05-14 7:51 PM

User image

There are Amica 19.7 Runs on Saturday prior to the Sunday triathlon - half marathon, 10K & .4mi Kid's run. We are trying to get climbing wall out also for adults & kids to have things to do for the weekend.

The map my ride links on the web site have elevation and satellite views to see course - basically, Tellico Parkway has long rolling hills - first hill by Tellico Dam is probably hardest because it's early, Davis Ferry Road rolls upward for 2 miles & after small climb on Maple Hill - it's all downhill back to the Parkway. We usually don't have "drafting" issues with the hills to break people up.

I'll start posting water temp on web site early June. Lake is about 68-70 now. Distance is only 800 meters so toss up on wearing or not even if 78 or below...it may take you more time to get out of the suit than it's worth.

Rocky Top Multisports Club is doing mock trial races now. You may want to check their site for details - www.rockytopmultisports.org

Let me know if you need more info..... [email protected]

race site - http://www.imathlete.com/events/EventOverview.aspx?fEID=11378&z=133...
2012-05-14 10:21 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Thanks for the replies but it looks like we are headed up that way the second week of June instead.  Too many prior commitments the weekend of the race.  
2012-05-15 3:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well, this being the official thread, I'm in! I haven't done Tellico before but have done Atomic Man when it was over there at Vonore. I'm assuming it's much the same terrain, and I'm hoping for a good result given that the bike course is longer than in most sprints.  

What's the tricky part about the run course? Any way to describe it in more detail here? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Amica 19.7 Tellico Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed