General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new here, first tri a week n' a half away! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-10 6:41 PM

Subject: new here, first tri a week n' a half away!

YIKES!  Did I actually say that?  A week and a half away?  Actually less than that!  

I'll be doing the Iron Girl Atlanta on the 20th of May...  this is my first tri...  and I'm fairly new to the idea that there's an athlete inside of me... so I'm extremely nervous about this!  

I feel that I'm a strong swimmer, but haven't been able to practice any open water swimming (am hoping to this weekend).  Although I guess I'm pretty nervous about the temperature of the water!  I'm pretty comfy with the running part....  I'm most nervous about the bike part...  it's 19 miles of evidently some pretty intense hills...  I can do 19 miles, but it's the hills I'm worried about, as hills are certainly not my forte.  I can see getting off and walking quite a bit, which will slow me down considerably....  and I'm afraid of not finishing that section of the race in the designated time and not having the opportunity to cross that finish line, even if it's dead last.   

I don't have any specific questions, other than how on earth do you get over the nerves???  I am able to maintain the attitude that I'm not in it to win it...  I'd LOVE to finish, but if I don't, I'll have showed up, which is more than I ever thought I could do. But I have momentary freak outs when I wonder what the hell I think I'm doing....  tee hee.  

Look forward to connecting...

~Lisa

2012-05-10 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4203484

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
Subject: RE: new here, first tri a week n' a half away!

Good Luck and Welcome!!!  I used to live in Cumming, GA for awhile, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE swimming in Lake Lanier, (I assume that is where the event will be for the OWS).  

The lake temp will probably be somewhere between 65-70, so pretty good!  

Just take a deep breath, and remember to breathe when your wave starts.  My first one, about 30 seconds in is when I found my rhythm and just went from there.  

That area is hilly!  I remember riding my bike many a time there in high school, but you'll do fine.  Just remember to shift down BEFORE you start the climb to make it easier on yourself.  

You'll be great!!! 

2012-05-10 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to BT and taking the plunge, I'm sure you won't regret it, and I hope you have a fantastic race in 1.5 weeks time! 

Nerves - we've all had them/still get them, especially before your first, as everything is so new and unexpected.  I did not sleep one wink before my first tri, partially from nerves and partially from lingering bronchitis, but I was bound and determined to start AND finish.  Ends up that I didn't need any sleep as adrenaline is a truly wonderful thing.  Guess what, I finished, and I have never looked back.  Check your gear ahead of time, practise some transitions, do some bricks, ask people all sorts of questions on race day and before, all these things are super helpful.

Yes, getting in some OWS practise will certainly help, both in getting some experience, practising sighting, and calming your nerves too.  What's the expected water temperature and are you planning on wearing a wetsuit? I had a pretty large long hill on my first bike course, which I was convinced that I would have to walk up, and was prepared to do that. However, I really surprised myself and got up it without stopping.  Okay, I was in my lowest gear and I was occasionally swearing, but I shot down the other side so fast, it was soooo much fun (despite the cold pouring rain)? If you need to get off your bike and walk, then just do it. I had to walk part of the 5k run course, but that didn't bother me one little bit. Getting to that wonderful finishing line was my main objective, and having fun was a very close second.

Guess what, you are already an athlete, but you're about to go three better and become a triathlete.

Good luck and have fun out there!

2012-05-10 10:38 PM

User image

Elite

Embrace the nerves - they are always there, I now view them as excitement rather than apprehension!

For the swim, get in the water if you can for 5-10mins before the start, get a feel for the water, get your face in, understand the currents if there are any, the temperature etc, do a few strokes.  That way your heart rate will already be slightly elevated and i find I don't get that rush of adrenalin that causes me to panic.

I'm with you, the bike is my weaker link, but once I start riding I'm fine.  I've got my first Half Ironman in 3 weeks, daunting but I will be on the start line doing my best, that's all we can do.

Most of all, take in the scenery, wave and chat to other competitors, volunteers and spectators.  Have fun with it.

2012-05-11 8:24 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Welcome!
Yes, there is an inner athlete in all of us, just takes a while toi find it.

Embrace the nerves and HAVE fun with the race.  Good advice up there on the shifting too!!

2012-05-11 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4203536

Thanks for all of the wonderful encouragement!  

The water there today was 71 degrees...  I really don't even know how to gauge that, even though I'm keeping an eye on it like a hawk.  No, not wearing a wetsuit...  I figured it would just take too much time for transition.  I might be crazy.  We'll see.  It doesn't sound like a whole lot of folks wear wetsuits in this race, though. 

Eeek...  cold pouring rain....  that frightens me!  But it'll be fun NO MATTER WHAT....   ....  right?  Tee hee.

2012-05-11 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4203526

Thanks for the advice about shifting down before the big hills....  I'm really quite new at the road-biking thing (I've ridden my sweet little hybrid with the wicker basket and horn for a couple of years now, but it didn't have enough gears and was too heavy to get me up hardly any hills at all!).  I'm still learning the gears...  nothing like a triathlon to help me learn 'em, I suppose!  
2012-05-11 7:20 PM
in reply to: #4205542

User image

Elite
Cleveland
On shifting, just in case you didn't already know - avoid cross-chaining, that is big-big, or little-little combinations of the front and rear gears.
2012-05-12 9:16 AM

User image

Expert

Hey Lisa - Welcome and congrats on finding the athlete that is certainly inside of you.

As many have said before me - nerves are a normal part of the game.  Even the best athletes in the world experience nerves - they just worry about different things.  My advice is two fold: 1) try to ride a couple of those hills before the race.  Since its a week away - I wouldn't do the whole bike section - but I might drive my car (taking your bike with you) to where the bike leg will be held and drive the route.  Choose the toughest hill and ride your bike up it - nice a slow.  The point is to prove to yourself that can do it.  2) know exactly what the times are that you have to beat.  It would be a sin to go out too strong at the start with the goal of beating the designated time only to run out of gas and miss the designated time.

Good luck!

2012-05-14 7:45 AM

Hi there,

The nerves are a normal part of this - in fact- they'll help on race day as they turn to adrenaline once you've started! Most everyone else will have them as well, so you are definitely not alone. If you can do some yoga this week, it will help to limber you up and relax a bit!  Good luck, you'll be fine!!!

2012-05-14 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Beach, CA

Welcome, you will love it. 

As a newbie myself I can tell you that the nerves go away the minute you hit the water. 

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

2012-05-14 12:53 PM

THANK YOU all for such wonderfully encouraging and useful responses!  Six days and counting...  I'm doing a countdown on my blog....  if you're interested in reading about the way I'm talking myself into this (ha ha), I'd be honored if you all came over there for a visit...  http://www.sacredcirclecreativelife.com/blog/

2012-05-14 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4208837

Here's a direct link... just realized that you can do that here!  http://www.sacredcirclecreativelife.com/blog/
2012-05-16 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Hey Wild Woman, great blog and love the countdown! Don't worry about the different waves as you can go and hang with your friends and their wave earlier, then head back to your wave area. Tri's are pretty informal, except sometimes the transition area(s) in large tris, which have to be secure for obvious reasons (lots of beautiful expensive bikes). Wander around, chill with your family and friends, and make new friends. Race day is a very special day with lots of nerves, but lots of smiles too. Trust me, the moment that starter horn goes off, all the nerves will vanish.

Just remember to trust in your support, trust in your training, and most of all trust in YOURSELF. Have fun and I look forward to your post-race blog
2012-05-21 12:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon

Wildwoman,  

I was going to tell you to hydrate well a couple of days before, but I think your race has happened already. I don't see your results on your blog!  How'd it go?  

Christina

2012-05-21 4:55 AM

New bee here from California!!

2012-05-21 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4219790

The results (and the whole story) are officially up now on my blog!  Thanks for asking...  leading up to it, I was a total wreck.  But I DID IT!  And I had a blast.   I finished in 2:38:47...  which I hear isn't bad for a first timer!  
2012-05-21 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4219833

hiya newbie from California!  Have you signed up for a race as of yet?  
2012-05-22 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

I read your blog very early this morning and it sounds like you had a blast in your race and proved a lot to yourself, especially on that last hill!  Congratulations triathlete wildwoman70, you and your family have every reason to be incredibly proud of you! Laughing

So next questions: are you hooked yet, and when are you doing your next one????

2012-05-24 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4223560

Yes, I believe I've been bitten by the bug...  started looking for another one yesterday- haven't decided which one yet.  there are several pretty close by that I'm considering for late summer early fall.  

Laughing

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new here, first tri a week n' a half away! Rss Feed