General Discussion Race Reports! » FIT - Florida International Triathlon: Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

FIT - Florida International Triathlon: Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sarasota, Florida
United States
Sarasota Storm Tri Club
Total Time = 1h 20m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

I just about didn't do the race. My training since the Gator 1/2 has been sporadic at best and I'm my fitness is way off. The wife actually convinced me to do the race, I've never been so un-excited for a race before.
Event warmup:

Quick swim in the Gulf with a little jog on the beach. It actually felt cold standing on the beach prior to the race.
Swim
  • 10m 16s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

You guessed it, my swim was really, really bad but that is what I expected. That's what happens when you don't swim for 2 months. I swear there was a dude next to me that was breast stroking and managing to stayed in front of me. All I wanted to do the entire swim was get out of the water. There was a little chop out there that caused me to swallow a bunch of salt water (but not as bad as last year).

What would you do differently?:

Train.
Transition 1
  • 04m 39s
Comments:

I continue to be slow in transition. I always take my time which settles the HR before the bike. However, for the 1st time in a race this is where a little competitiveness entered my mind. Prior to the race I noticed that 2 guys racked next to me were in my AG. Both come out of the water behind me but left before me out of T1. I made at commitment at that point to try and reel them in on the bike.
Bike
  • 37m 18s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike leg given my current fitness. Hit it hard but didn't burn any matches. I did make it a point to keep Heather Bucher in site when she passed me on the bike. I did reel her in by the end. Grant it she did double the distance but she was a world class athlete who competed on the ITU circuit and has qualified for Kona and won lots of races. She is one heckofa athlete. I also was trying reel in the 2 fellows in my AG that left T1 before me. One I caught and passed early in the bike leg, the other I didn't catch until the last 1/2 mile of the bike.

Train
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I did pretty good in T2. However, the dude next to me in my AG passed me again out of T2 and built a pretty good gap. Forgot to grab my Garmin off the bike.

Grab my Garmin.
Run
  • 26m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't feeling it initially during the run. Just tried to settle into a nice Steady pace. The fellow in my AG got away from me so I didn't see him initially during the run. As it turned out he had built a pretty decent gap. However, I noticed that I was slowly reeling him in. By the time we got to the turn around point there was maybe a 50 meter gap. So I increased my pace a bit and closed the gap quickly. By the time we hit the 1 mile to go sign I was right behind him. At that point I decided to stay right behind him, matching his pace until I could make a move. aT the last water station with about 1/2 mile to go I passed and pushed the pace. As it turned out it was the differnce between getting 3rd place and getting the last medal for the AG.

Again, results are pretty bad but I didn't think they would be good. I'm just not in any type of race shape. Got it done but that's the worst performance in a year.

Managed to get 3rd place in my AG. Just goes to show you, often it not about how good you are, it's about who shows up!!!

Train.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

The Sarasota Storm Tri club does a great job with this race. It's just a small local event but they do a fantastic job.

Last updated: 2012-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:16 | 400 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Straight out to 1st buoy, left turn to 2nd buoy, left turn then straight back in to finish.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 04:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:18 | 13 miles | 20.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/13
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat on decent roads. Since my wave was the last to start and most of the international racers were already out on the bike it proved to be a crowed bike leg. A couple places where I had to slow down but I like this bike course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:44 | 03.11 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/13
Performance: Bad
Course: Beach run which I hate. There is one stretch where you actually have to run in deep sand which plays with my mind. However, I must say it was so much better than last year when the waves from the surf produced ankle deep canels on the beach that you had to run thru.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-13 7:39 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Subject: FIT - Florida International Triathlon: Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » FIT - Florida International Triathlon: Sprint Course Rss Feed