United States
FS Series
Sunny
Total Time = 36m 37s
Overall Rank = 87/108
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/8
Pre-race routine:

This event is for training. Just wanted to get a one mile wetsuit swim in for practice.

This morning I had cereal with a banana. I was still hungry so I had half an English muffin with peanut butter. I then made the drive to the park (50 minutes or so) and checked in. They had a short seminar about open water swimming. I listened to that and did a little warm up.
Event warmup:

They had a short seminar about open water swimming. I listened to that and did a little warm up in the roped off beach area.

They stated that the temperature near the shore was 74 but in the deeper part of the lake was 71. I had on my sleeveless wetsuit (Blue Seventy Reaction) and most other participants had wetsuits on -- both full and sleeveless -- but a half dozen or so people had on either swimsuits or tri suits.
Swim
  • 36m 37s
  • 1609 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start was from the right of the beach. We headed out on an angle toward the right, went 150 or so yards to the left and came back to the left side of the beach near the boat dock. Sighting on the way out was good. After the second turn, I had a hard time seeing any of the first yellow buoys . I was spot on for the middle buoy and hand no problems with the final turn in and the finish.

This is a PR for me! The last year I did this course in 43:33. That's a 6:56 improvement! Someone asked and the course is set via GPS.

What would you do differently?:

Continue to work on my swimming
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some bread from Great Harvest bread and then headed out for a bike ride.

Event comments:

With just over 100 participants, this was a nice event. There were at least half a dozen safety boaters and plenty of FS Series staff on hand. I like the T shirt and the swim cap. I was pleasantly surprised that there was food. I do kind of wish that they had coffee afterward :-)

I was not the only one planning to ride after the event. I think that several people were running after the swim too.

There was a swim clinic before the event. I wish that the event started earlier. It started at after 9:00 (swim clinic ran long due to questions) which made for a long day with the bike ride after. Last year it started at 8:30 and honestly, I would have preferred an 8:00 start.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:37 | 1609 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/108
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good