BolderBOULDER
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 45m 57s
Overall Rank = 2072/44236
Age Group = M33
Age Group Rank = 44/410
Pre-race routine:

Power bagel with peanut butter, banana, coffee, vitamins. Sort of dragging to get out of bed for the race, but finally got moving and out the door. Yvonne and her Mom went up to the race with me, so it was nice to have some company on the drive.
Event warmup:

10 minutes easy jogging, 10 minutes static stretching, 5 minutes of strides and short pick-ups with walking recoveries.
Run
  • 45m 57s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

On Mark's advice, I started the first mile "easy" - or at least relatively slow. I ran it a lot more controlled and easy than my instincts told me too, and it paid nice dividends. Even though I still went out a little faster than the rest of my splits, it wasn't the total blow up and burn out that I had at the last 5K.

The rest of the race was nice and controlled and steady. Some small risers, usually followed by downhills. I qualified a lot slower than goal pace, so I had to run through a couple of waves in front. There were some bottlenecks, and maybe I would have had a faster race if not for all the people, but I knew that I was ahead of goal pace so I just relaxed and didn't worry about it.

My HR and effort level was very steady throughout the race. My avg. HR ended up in Z4, and even though I felt like I had plenty in the tank at the end of the race, I beat my goal time by over 2 minutes and felt like it was a very controlled and relaxed race. I loved being able to enjoy the race and surroundings, and running into Folsom Field was spectacular. For a nice change of pace, I didn't feel like vomitting at the end of the race.

Overall, one of my favorite races ever. I will definitely run this again next year. The crowd was fun, the race was flawlessly executed, the scenery was cool, I like Boulder and running a race there was fun, and to cap it off with running into Folsom (being a huge CU football fan) made for a great race.

The only one minor downside was that my IT band was hurting pretty bad by the end of the race. I didn't need to stop or anything, but that nagging injury is annoying.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I had a great time today.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around, drinking loads of water and gatorade and polishing off my snack bag.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crowds, training, genetic ability.

Last updated: 2006-03-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:57 | 06.21 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 260/410
Overall: 2086/44236
Performance: Good
Splits: Mile 1 = 7:01; Mile 2 = 7:16; Mile 3 = 7:40; Mile 4 = 7:33; Mile 5 = 7:31; Mile 6 = 7:21; Remainder 1:34 Avg HR = 171; Max = 181.
Course: Very fun course through Boulder streets and into Folsom Field.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-29 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: BolderBOULDER

2006-05-29 9:31 PM
in reply to: #437373

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: BolderBOULDER
Congrats on beating your goal pace!  I think you are correct in starting slow.   Wow, what a pace.  That race is fun, I miss it!
2006-05-29 10:26 PM
in reply to: #437373

User image

Mesa
Subject: RE: BolderBOULDER
Good race! I ran that one twice way back when I was in high school in 1990 & 1991. The finish is great!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BolderBOULDER Rss Feed