Australian Triathlon Forum Queensland » Upcomng triathlons in Cairns / Port Douglas Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-19 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Australia
Subject: Upcomng triathlons in Cairns / Port Douglas
Hey All

I'll be flying over to Cairns (from Perth) this upcoming weekend to do the Coral Coast Olympic distance Tri. Do any of you live in the Cairns / PD area? The FAQ says that for this triathlon and the half and full ironman races the following weekend allow wetsuits for water temps up to 26 degrees. I'm thinking that will be way too warm for a wetsuit.

Do any of you have experience with this?

From the FAQ

Will the swim be a wetsuit swim?
Triathlon Australia have amended their wetsuit ruling for the Cairns Airport Adventure Festival ONLY (including Coral Coast, Ironman Cairns and 70.3 Cairns triathlons) to allow wetsuits for all categories (individuals and teams) to be worn if the water temperature is below 26 degrees Celsius.

Please note, it is not a requirement to wear a wetsuit if the water temperature is below 26 degrees Celsius, however event organisers would recommend, where possible, that swimmers wear a wetsuit for added protection against Cairns marine life (stingers/jellyfish).

I'm thinking of wearing a long sleeve rash shirt over my triathlon suit. Suggestions welcome!

2012-05-20 6:46 AM
in reply to: #4218682

Brisbane, Australia
Subject: RE: Upcomng triathlons in Cairns / Port Douglas
It is really just additional insurance, in reality box jellyfish season should be well and truly over but there is a chance that there could still be the odd one about. Also, irukangi jellyfish could also be a slim possibility. That is the reason for the amended wetsuit ruling but like I said it is a slim chance. The water should be starting to cool off but you will have to weigh up the possibility of over-heating.
2012-05-20 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4218788

User image

Veteran
Perth, Australia
Thanks for that. I think I'll leave the wetsuit at home and bring the rashy and try it out before the race.
2012-05-22 8:52 PM

User image

Elite

I read last week that it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that a full wetsuit is worn - this from the James Cook University - stinger season is later due to lack of rainfall earlier in the season.

I'm doing the 70.3 - FULL WETTIE!  Any kind of sting for me would be race over - TERRIFIED OF CREATURES......

2012-05-23 2:02 AM

User image

Regular
Cairns - Australia
Hi, I live in Cairns and I suggest you wear the wetsuit if not too late.  They have only bought in the stinger nets and they are still dragging.  The season has been late and I wouldn't be going into the water without one.  I don't think you will overheat in it, it has been raining here this week which has cooled it down abit, also Port Douglas is prone to sea lice as well.  Good luck with the race, I am not racing this year as I don't like where the swim is for the Half Ironman, too risky for me.
2012-05-24 5:18 AM
in reply to: #4224329

User image

Expert
Noosa
Can you elaborate about the HIM swim? Is the issue stingers, sharks or crocs, or all 3???

2012-05-24 7:27 PM
in reply to: #4226560

User image

Regular
Cairns - Australia
Hi David, I'm not racing this year due to where the swim is being held but I'm not a strong swimmer, I was at ease in Yorkeys Knob last year, loved it.  To locals the issue is all three, also I believe there is a very strong current which the boaties tell me.  My husband is doing the Ironman, so I will be supporting him on the day.  When do you arrive in Cairns, do you have supporters coming with you?
2012-05-29 5:03 PM

The Coral Coast Oly, Sprint and  Enticer was a great success. Special race by Pete Jacobs. Showed how this short course business should be handled. The bugger used it as a training run and barely raised a sweat while winning by 10 minutes. Cool to see someone turn out  a mid 30's run on the beach, and still have time for a smile and a thank you with the  big crowd, the volleys and the waterboys.

Regards

2012-06-04 2:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Australia
Hey everyone

I decided against the wetsuit (having left it back in Perth) and I was one of a small group that went without. In my group of about 40 women, there were about 5 of us without one. Seeing all the wetsuits definitely made the nerves worse, but after I finished the swim stinger free, I was happy with my choice. The worst part about that swim was the waves and the swell. My BF saw a guy throw up after getting out of the water. I was definitely feeling a bit seasick. It kind of felt like being thrown around in a washing machine. A armless wetsuit would have been mint. I'll know that for next time.

I had spoken to the lifeguards the day before and they said they'd been swimming the few days before in just a bathing suit.

As for the sharks and crocodiles. I just tried not to think of them AT ALL!

BTW the beach run was novel and quite good other than the rivers that were flowing down from the trees meaning you had to run through a foot of water a meter and a half wide six times each lap! It took several days for my sneakers to dry out from that one.
New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Queensland » Upcomng triathlons in Cairns / Port Douglas Rss Feed