Peachtree City, Georgia
United States
Tri4gold
Total Time = 1h 38m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 14/56
Pre-race routine:

Packed up and had the car loaded the night before. Woke up at 3:30 AM for no good reason! Drank coffee and had a little toast. Drove about an hour to the race. I was early enough to be there with a nice amount of time to relax and setup transition. Met up with a ton of people from BT, ATC, Dynamo.
Event warmup:

Swam about 500 yards to warm up the shoulders. I had a towel and was about to dry off before the long wait for the race to start. It paid off as it was chilly.
Swim
  • 29m 59s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got to joke around with coldfire and his posse. I started the race with Biggsmoothie. I ran into the water and got a strong start. I sighted fine on the down leg, acceptable on the cross leg, then messed up the up leg. It bowed inwards and I took a straight line. As a result I went a little wide. I think this cost me on time. However, I did catch some nice drafts on this swim unlike WPL.

The swim was long. Everyone indicated this at the end. I am guessing by 4 minutes for me. However, WPL was short by a few minutes, so this is how it goes as it seems to be hard for the RD to measure a swim. It is what it is...
What would you do differently?:

sight better and I really need to swim more. I have been phoning it in this year and I think it caught up to me on this race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

I was the fastest in AG, but everyone wore their wet suite. Frankly, I do not get the wet suite thing when the water is the perfect swim temp. People lose as much time as they gain. Does it really help that much on the swim?

T1 has become very spartan for me. Off with the speed suite and on with the helmet, run with the bike. Simple and fast.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 29s
  • 25 miles
  • 21.28 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a little surprised on the time. It really did not "feel" like a good ride. My speedometer was not working and I only had my watch, so I never knew how fast I was going. There were a few uphill sections that were way too slow.

In the early part of the race I yo-yo'ed with two people while I was warming up, then left them. I passed a ton of people and only got passed by a few. Around mile 17, I passed a guy and he stayed with me. We pushed each other until mile 21. As we come over a rise, I saw a rider down the road. As I past my yo-yo partner, I said "let's get that guy"...he smiled and said "let's do it". I down shifted and I chase was on. We got him at the mile 23 sign. He knew we were chasing him because he was shaking his head as we went by. It was a great way to make sure we finished the bike off right.

I need more work on the bike. I felt like I could go faster with more work. I have not put in the miles and have been light on Dynamo interval work outs due to work. However, I am not going to complain about 21+ average as it was right there with the top 10 in my age group. Nice to know there is upside, but know I was in the hunt.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Terrible bike dismount...not sure what I was thinking. I had the feet out and ready to jump off. For some reason, I slowed to a stop and got off. WTF???? Any way, I ran with my bike and went past my rack and had to back track. Having Styx blasting "too much time on my hands..." was not the right motivation music in T2! I went through the change fast, but sat down again to put the shoes on. This seems like a habit. As I was running out of T2, I looked at my watch and knew there was no way for a 2:30. So, mentally I adjusted to "just make sure your ass is across the line in less than 2:40!"

This would have been under a minute if I would have hit the rack right. Otherwise, it was a good transition. Time wise this was about average compared to others which is not good. My transitions are normally the fastest in my AG.
Run
  • 55m 12s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Once again, I ran out of T2 feeling good. I started to break down the run course to decide where I was going to push it. Then I came to the 1 mile marker...oh this seems to be my spot. The hamy grabbed on me out of no where. I did not stop running, but I slowed down to allow it to settle down. It let go and I was able to pick up the pace again. Suddenly, I hear this guy yelling behind me...wait is Phat racing today? I turned to see Coldfire running up on me. I had to laugh. At the 3 mile mark, I started to get tired mentally. The positive talk was silent, but there was no negative talk. I had to do something to get back engaged, so I started to do math. Time math that is...I looked at my watch and started to figure out how much time I had and what pace I needed to get under 2:40. It worked. At mile 4, I said to myself we are going to do this and picked it up big time. I ran strong (for me) to the line. I was in the hurt locker for that last 2 miles. When I finished, the tank was absolutely empty.

This run was faster than WPL, so I am on the right track. I do not have another OLY scheduled until Tug, so I will spend the summer racking up miles and adding some LT pacing work to encourage a better race pace.

Worth noting that I got off the bike in 5th in my AG! I dropped 9 places on the run. When I get the run thing under control, I will move up on the group. Lots of motivation on the table.
Post race
Warm down:

I finished and was wasted. I was barely walking when Cody came up to me. We have gone back and forth on the BT for a few years but never met. He introduced himself and the only thing I could get out was "give me a second, I need to go lay down". Unfortunately, I could not find him again. Met up with Coldfire and his posse. Talked with lots of other people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to make sure I measure my performance against my goals for the year and not get down on things. I wanted to break 2:40 as many times as possible. Mission accomplished. It is even more important to note that my weapon, the swim, was the worse leg time wise due to the course being long. Despite this, I still managed to make my goal. Yes, I wanted to hit 2:30, but I should not get ahead of myself and discount the accomplishment. Also, this was a 3 minute PR on the course.

I need to get bike volume to 350 per month consistently, finally hit the gym to strengthen the hamstrings, keep the run volume up and mix in some harder pacing work, and swim just a little more.

Event comments:

This race is great until you finish. Like most races, the post race food was off. I can't eat pizza after a race at 10 AM. Who the heck drinks coffee? So, the only option was oranges and nanas. Oh well.

This finish line was great as it was crowded with people and everyone was cheering. The bleacher seat as a great addition.

I love this race and will do it every year that I can...

Last updated: 2012-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:59 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/56
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:29 | 25 miles | 21.28 mile/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:12 | 06.2 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-20 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Peachtree International Triathlon

2012-05-20 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4218812

User image

Florida
Subject: RE: Peachtree International Triathlon
You should have had some pizza.  Partner's Pizza is the best in the world!  Wink   Good race!
2012-05-20 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA

Way to stick with it capn, sub 2:40 again!  Awesome - PR on course that had a long swim = double whammy goodness.

Coldfire sure does have a way to motivate you when he chases you down with that evil grin.  It is haunting, gives me nightmares.

And for us non-swimmers, yes the wetsuit helps close to a 2-3 minute pickup for the Oly distance with a 10-20 second T-1 penalty. (plus you don't need to towel off after warming up waiting for the start cause it is chilly!). You are already spending time taking off the speedsuit, the wetsuit doesn't take that much longer. Just my opinion though.

Great day -

2012-05-20 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Nice job, Cappy, especially on the bike! You torched the course! 

I agree with McQ in that, for us non-swimmers, the wetsuit is an advantage I'd rather use. I don't know what he's talking about being a non-swimmer, though!

That Coldfire! You should have stuck your leg out as he passed!

Great job overall. A sub 2:40 is a nice race...W00T!

2012-05-20 1:16 PM

User image

New user
Athens, GA

Nice race! I'm especially impressed at your ability to do math during the second half of the run. That was hard for me!

I wore a wetsuit because of peer pressure - it was my first OWS race and I had read enough of "You may think you're a strong swimmer and don't need one but everyone will have one and it will make you faster/reduce your effort." I was fairly clumsy with it during transition, and I have no evidence of whether it helped speed up the swim since the distance was clearly off, but I feel like it helped. Which is to say, I just want to justify purchasing it.

2012-05-21 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
Way to slug out a strong race, awasome swim and bike!

2012-05-21 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran

That was you, on the bike!!! Next race I'll know for sure, great ride for sure!

Hurt locker was "cramped" during the run for sure.

I wore a wetsuit, if its legal-Ill wear it. Fastest swim in a while for me and my T1 was pretty on par.

Ive yet to read this: "Man I am so much slower in my wetsuit"

Great race-see ya next time

2012-05-23 6:11 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great job out there Captin! That is two now under your goal target of 2:40!!! That is so impressive. Keep up the hard work as it is paying off big time in your results.

As always, it is a pleasure racing with you and I totally look forward to the next one!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree International Triathlon Rss Feed