Dallas Athletes Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 11m
Overall Rank = 160/197
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 34/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am after sleeping about 5 hours. I had a cup of coffee and a breakfast bar. Loaded the bikes at 5am and drove to the race site.
Event warmup:

A little bit of Lake swimming to get used to the cold water. It seemed like I was in a small group of people that was not wearing a wetsuit. The water wasn't bad at all.
Swim
  • 29m 59s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m / 100 meters
Comments:

I had not been in a lake swim in a long time and was unable to practice the lake swim at all. I knew there was a difference between the pool and the lake swim. We ran into the water from the beach start which wasn't the best thing to do. I could feel my heart rate go up. The water was very choppy which kind of induced a panic feeling. I wasn't able to breath the way I usually do. I started the breast stroke but then swallowed too much water. Once I got to the rounding bouy I got into the rhythm and got very comfortable in the water (the way I usually am).
What would you do differently?:

Definitely OWS practice. Next time I will start out slower to get into my rhythm and to keep my hear rate down. Practice, practice and some more practice.
Transition 1
  • 04m 45s
Comments:

It was a good distance from the water to the transition area. It was also open racking. I lost my bike ... I ran around trying to find my bike and got disoriented. That was by far the worst transition ever. I was able to get my hear rate strap on, get the Sunglasses and Helmet on and was able to slip very quickly into my bike shoes.

I will be marking my transition spot with an orange flag to see the bike easier.
Bike
  • 1h 24m
  • 24.1 miles
  • 17.21 mile/hr
Comments:

My lower back was cramping up during the whole ride. I am not sure why that happened but I am used to ride in the aero position. No matter what I did I was unable to loosen up my lower back and coming out of the saddle on the hills didn't help either. It started getting warmer very quick. Also realized that in the Olympic distance I was one of the very few that didn't have a decent road or tri bike. Looks like the end of the season can't come fast enough to invest in a tri bike. Had a Larabar on the bike!

Practice, practice, practice. I think it all comes down to more practice. I will also need to bring my bike in the shop to get tuned. While I was riding all kinds of things were making noise and rubbing against each other.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Transitioning from bike to run went very smooth. I am so glad I got the Zoot shoes to slip in without having to fasten anything.

Nothing to do different. Pretty decent transition.
Run
  • 1h 11m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

This was by far my worst performance running in a triathlon yet. I walked a lot and had plenty of water and gatorade at the water stations but I should have had a little bit more. My right ankle started hurting at mile 3.

Practice, practice and some more practice.
Post race
Warm down:

laying in the grass ... muscle milk and gatorade

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No practice in the OWS, limited practice on the bike and very limited practice for the run. Too much body weight and no wetsuit.

Event comments:

Dallas Athletes did an amazing job once again. I can't complain at all.

Last updated: 2012-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:59 | 1500 meters | 01m / 100meters
Age Group: 24/38
Overall: 132/197
Performance: Bad
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: It was a triangle swim (Out, Over, Back)at Lake Ray Roberts.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:45
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:24:00 | 24.1 miles | 17.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/38
Overall: 149/197
Performance: Below average
Avg HR: 162 bpm Max HR: 176 bpm
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Pretty hilly course for my experience but a very scenic route.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 66
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:11:00 | 06.21 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/38
Overall: 164/197
Performance: Bad
Avg HR: 162 bpm Max HR: 172 bpm
Course: Very nice run course through the state park. Some areas were very sunny and others provided lots of shade. 2 loop run course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-20 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton
Subject: TexasMan Olympic Triathlon

2012-05-20 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4219337

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: TexasMan Olympic Triathlon
Keep at it!  You learned a lot in this race, and that's a positive to take home.  And by the way, 3:11 in an Oly is really not bad.  You start where you are and build from there.  You're starting in a pretty good place, and you've got a great attitude -- I mean you're 'determined', right???
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TexasMan Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed