Hartford Marathon Foundation
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 18s
Overall Rank = 63/398
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/29
Pre-race routine:

Was looking forward to this event as its one of my favorites. Woke up at 4:50 am. Car was was already loaded. Grabbed typical pre race breakfast of Power Bar Performance and a banana and was on my way to Glastonbury. As I got on the highway for the 50 minute ride, I suddenly realized I left my water bottle for the bike, filled with Gu Brew, on the table. Damn it, I went over my list like 5 times. Fortunately had an extra bottle in the car. Quick stop at the store for some Gatorade as a replacement. Diluted that and was good to go
Event warmup:

Got a great spot in transition, second bike over from the end spot. Set up, hit the bathroom, and got in a short run to warm up. Popped a Gu Roctane and headed to the start line. Picked a spot about 3 rows deep. Not bad.
Run
  • 22m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really unsure how to pace this Duathlon. Do I try to keep close to my 5k PR (6:30) on both runs? Do I hold off knowing I still have to bike and run again? I went with the latter. I was so tempted to take off with the people in front of me but really needed to reel in my HR the best I could. So tough to do with a shorter event. So I tried to settle in around a 7:00-7:10 pace and felt good there. When i started hearing all the really heavy breathing around me, I knew my decision would pay off for me heading into the bike. Again, this was the first of two runs, with the bike still to come. Got passed by plenty of people and run 1 ended with a rank of 103 out of 391
What would you do differently?:

I think I made the right decision by not trying to run 5k pace for the start. I've been that guy before, starting too fast only to blow up.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Came into T1. Flopped the Zoots off, bike shoes, helmet etc on, and out of transition.

I thought it went as good as it could.
Bike
  • 49m 15s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I really wanted to make up time on the bike knowing I held back slightly on the first run. I came out of transition and clipped in fairly easily. As I Start to get up to speed, a guy about 100 yards out of transition is still fumbling with getting clipped in. I see him wobbling and suddenly he makes a slow hard 90'degree turn towards the center of the road. I had to swerve hard into the other lane to avoid a nasty head on collision. Missed him by inches. So back up to speed and really started to feel confident about my decision on the run. I picked off about 30-35 people or so, and really felt great overall. Spun up all the hills without ever leaving the saddle, and hammered on the downhills, maxing out at 41 mph. 53rd overall bike out of 391. I'll take it.

I think with more bike volume I can eventually hit the infamous 20mph average. Just seems so tough with all the hills but I'll get there.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I actually had one of the better T2's today. 54 seconds. That was the 30th best T2 overall. Maybe not a huge deal, but time in transition does count!!! Was able to get feet out of shoes and placed on top of them within the last 50 yards or so of the bike leg. Racked the bike, helmet off, Zoots on, and gone.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m
  • 3.3 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

So, came out of T2, and started with an 8 min pace knowing I really have not been running much this year, and have only done one brick workout leading up to this. Calves started cramping for the first half mile, but I knew that was going to happen. After that disappeared, I was able to pick up the pace a bit. Only got passed by 2 guys and 1 girl, and passed 4-5 others myself. Course was a bit longer as the finish was at Hubbard Green and not at transition. Finished strong for a 63 out of 391.

Maybe more bricks, but definitely need to pick up the run volume.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, banana and a yogurt. Chatted with a few people I knew. Checked results and got out of there. Promised the kids we'd hit the beach when I got home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run volume.

Event comments:

Absolutely love this race. Glastonbury is one of my favorite towns in CT. Very scenic rolling hills, challenging and great post race festivities. Gotta love the finish shoot with tons of balloons, your name announced and the sweet sound of a live bagpiper. The Ten Penny Ale Shamrock Duathlon. Definitely recommended and one of my favorite events. Hartford Marathon Foundation always puts on fantastic events.

Last updated: 2012-01-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:01 | 03.11 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 103/398
Performance: Good
165 average, 176 Max
Course: Fairly flat run through nice neighborhood streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:49:15 | 16 miles | 19.49 mile/hr
Overall: 53/398
Performance: Good
165 average, 179 max
Wind: None
Course: Great bike course. First 8 miles is pretty much climbing with one long climb at the start. The back side of the course is fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:00 | 03.3 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 80/398
Performance: Average
165 avg, 189 max. OMG
Course: Same course as first run other than making a left turn to Hubbard Green where the finish was.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes