5150 Triathlon Series
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 16m 44s
Overall Rank = 558/
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 30/36
Pre-race routine:

You can't beat a $50 Olympic Tri registration fee, the discount they were running last winter. Amber and I both jumped at this, also knowing we'd have free lodging (thanks grandma/grandpa!).

Drove up to KC Saturday afternoon and hit up packet pickup. Holy wind. 40mph-style. No bike check in due to winds, and we wondered whose bright idea it was to set up the swim boueys in that. It was cray-cray. Silently said a thank you prayer the winds were Saturday and not Sunday.

Dinner at On the Border, hung out with grams and gramps, and were in bed like good little triathletes shortly after 9pm. Slept well! Up at 4:45, out the door by 5:15. It's like we've done this before.

The weather was outstanding. Cloud cover but no rain, it was gonna be awesome. Did normal pre-race stuffs and shuffled down to the lake to wait the hour before our wave went off.

Shimmying into my wetsuit I noticed how uncomfortable it was, moreso than it's ever been (and I even soaked it this week in preparation). Deep down I know that the ~10-15 lbs I've gained in the last 3 years contributed to the snug-ness but I didn't think it would be that noticeable. I felt like a freaking sausage stuffed in that rubber! Ugh. Not cool. I hate feeling that way. So much that I really think this will be the time I actually lose some weight. It really affected me the whole race.
Event warmup:

Just waiting around.
Swim
  • 36m 7s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started way on the outside. Like, I was literally the farthest girl to the right. I didn't want to mess with the mey-ley today. The start was great, just got the heck away from everyone else. My goggles fogged and I literally couldn't see a thing, so I stopped and wiped them out.

Breathing got more rapid on the first stretch, couldn't get in a good rhythm. Rounding the turn bouey I thought I'd get into a groove but wasn't sure where to go as the green - half way point - bouey was in no way in a straight line with the orange turn bouey farther out. EVERYONE was swimming to the green one. In my mind I thought maybe that was now a turn bouey? Something we had to clear? Why was everyone going out of their way to get to that one when it would clearly add yardage??

Already feeling slow and sluggish I decided to just stop and ask a kayaker which one we were supposed to go to. He said the orange one. When I actually got there, I realized what was going on. It had become un-anchored and was drifting. Who knows when it happened, but it was a little frustrating seeing it float almost the same pace I was swimming, in the wrong direction.

Anywho... last stretch now. I was prepared for the fast dudes to come up on me, it was only a matter of time. When they did it was slightly alarming, but only a few clawer/puncher/swingers.

I dunno, I was just REALLY ready to be out of the water for the whole 2nd half. Just wasn't my day for swimming, which is totally rare, it's usually my best and favorite part by far.
What would you do differently?:

Well I'm no dummy, I can put 2 and 2 together. I've been, at best, swimming once a week since... February? And I took off September through January? And haven't been in open water since August. Pretty easy to draw the conclusion that I simply wasn't trained up for the swim like I could have been.

So while I was a little disappointed to see my time coming out of the water, I can't blame anyone or anything. Maybe that drifting bouey but I doubt that added *that* much yardage.
Transition 1
  • 04m 58s
Comments:

Oh good gravy my stupid wetsuit. I could not for the life of my get it off. Whilst run/walking up to transition I struggled so badly just trying to get my arms out. Took me the entire time while I made my way to my bike. Then the legs. Everything that could get stuck, did. UGh. 10 lbs, 10 lbs, 10 lbs!

I wasn't mad, just laughing at how hard I was trying with very little results. Rest of T1 was very smooth.

Anything that resembled a normal wetsuit removal.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 47s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.79 mile/hr
Comments:

WOOHOO! Things took a complete turn for the better once I got on the bike. I absolutely loved every second of this - what a great course! I pushed a little, but knew the run was coming so didn't go crazy. Just had an amazing time out there and was actually a little sad when it ended.

REALLY proud of my pace here. I typically ride 15-16mph, so this felt wonderful. The first hour I averaged 17.2 so I slowed down a little after that, but wow. So much fun.

Nothing!
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Oh what a flawless T2 for me. Bam.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 05m 18s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This sounds really silly, but my only goal for the run was to not have to stop to walk. I've been running a lot this winter/spring, but usually as a run/walk or with many stops. But running out of transition I knew I'd be golden. I felt so great!

Kept telling myself it was only 6 miles, and having run a 50K in Feb and a marathon in April it really just seemed like a jaunt in the park, even after swimming and biking.

Never overheated, never red-lined... just kept it super steady. The aid stations were kind of bunched up in the middle of the loop but I was sure to take both water and Gatorade each time.

I really, really enjoyed the run. I felt good, and tired in the last few miles, and like I was really trained and prepared for it. Fun, fun, fun!

I'm always negatively surprised at my run rank within my age group; I shouldn't be. I know I'm slow. But I made my goal and I felt FANTASTIC doing it. That's enough for me :)
Post race
Warm down:

Found MY HEIDI and some Wichita friends, chatted while I waited for Amber (who had a severe goggle malfunction and was a few minutes later than I expected her, dang!).

Never found any athlete food and they didn't have the finishers shirts they so desperately begged everyone to vote on in the months before the race. No idea what happened to those! And really, for a $50 race, I'm not complaining :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual suspects... training, speed work, wanting to have fun rather than kill myself.

Last updated: 2012-02-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:07 | 1640 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/36
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra full sleeve
Course: Triangle. Sort-of.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:58
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:28:47 | 24.85 miles | 16.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/36
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops on a "pinwheel" kind of course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:05:18 | 06.21 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/36
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops on half asphalt and half pressed gravel trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-20 8:09 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: 5150 Kansas City Triathlon

2012-05-20 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4219574

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Subject: RE: 5150 Kansas City Triathlon
Nice job and great attitude! I always love reading your race reports!
2012-05-20 10:37 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Awesome! Your swim story has me a little spooked... I too have been doing more bike/run work than swim work so I should probably get into the pool some more before Kansas. Thanks for the motivation.

Looks like you're progressing nicely and you should have another good race in a few short weeks. Great job!
2012-05-21 7:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Kansas City
Great to talk to you before the swim Lisa. I had the same type of problems, just couldn't get comfortable in the water. Glad you had fun though! Great race report!
2012-05-21 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4219961

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice race!  Congratulations!

P.S.  I always enjoy reading your race reports.

2012-05-21 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

The food was in the big white tent just to the left of the finish shout. Stacks of pizza, boxes and boxes of apples, bananas, orange.  Iced bottles of water, Gatorade and chocolate milk.  Only reason I found it, is I saw people with it and tried to follow the "ant trail" back.  

I forgot all about the shirt design we voted on. But we did get that nifty 50i50 cotton shirt. 

2012-05-21 9:26 AM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Nice race Lisa!  Sounds like you had a lot more than $50 worth of fun!
2012-05-21 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
So glad I got to go with you! What a fun day!
2012-05-21 9:48 PM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Great race, way to rock a bike course that lots of people were shaking their heads at wondering why they were so slow.
2012-05-22 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Great job. The wind the past few weeks has been awful, and especially this weekend -- just horrible. I'm glad it calmed down a little for you on Sunday.

I am so done with this wind. Seriously.

Congrats on a fun race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5150 Kansas City Triathlon Rss Feed