General Discussion Race Reports! » Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Honolulu, Hawaii
United States
Honolulu Triathlon
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 53s
Overall Rank = 58/833
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/82
Pre-race routine:

Nothing out of the ordinary. Just ate a cliff bar about 2 hours before the race and a gel 15 minutes prior.
Event warmup:

Swam about 150 yards.
Swim
  • 28m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out ok, and eventually found a pretty good set of feet to draft. He was swimming straight, and he was kicking a ton of bubbles. I did touch his feet many times, so he wasn't as fast as I hoped, but most likely faster than I could swim on my own. I didn't really see many other better options, so I just stayed with him till a little past the turn around when he seemed to get tired. I passed, and found other feet, but couldn't hang on as they were likely swimmers from the wave 3 minutes after mine.

Overall, I swam at about 85%. Could have gone harder, but didn't see the reason to as I would be cutting my own water. About 1 minute faster than last year. I was hoping to cut off closer to 3 minutes, but I think that was wishful thinking. My OWS times are faster this year, but not that much faster.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much other than maybe find a faster set of feet to draft.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Pretty efficient here.

Practice getting into my shoes...my gawd.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 17s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 24.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Left my shoes clipped in because it's a long run in transition. Got on my feet on the shoes fine and got going, but it was a disaster trying to get my feet in. I'm not sure how long it actually took me to get both feet strapped in, but it felt like over a minute. There was actually a time where both of my feet came off my shoes and I thought one of my shoes would hit the ground and fly off. Thank God it didn't.

Ok...so once I got going, it was on...flying by the fast swimmers who can't bike a lick...LOL...JK. My goal was 250 watts, and for a few miles I'm holding it...but starting to fade. I'm not sure what it is...am I just not willing to suffer...am I too scared of cooking the bike...or is it just not my day? I'm still passing people in bunches, but power is dropping to 240. Winds were never really helping us as it was a crosswind almost the whole course...so I knew it was going to be tough.

Eventually found my own space, and sure enough at about mile 15 I start yo-yoing with this same guy I did last year with. I'd pass, but lose a little steam after the pass, he'd pass...over and over. I stayed legal, and I think he was too. Kept me focused the last 10 miles, so that was good.

Good dismount.

I really don't know. I guess that was all I had today. My goal was to go under an hour, but they added half a mile to the course to make it just short of 24 miles. So if it was the same course as last year...then I likely would have just gone under an hour. Still though, power wasn't really where I wanted it to be.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Another good transition.

Ditch the garmin
Run
  • 47m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

As I'm running out of T2, I try to get my garmin to connect, but it keeps showing me battery life. F###...ok...whatever, I'll just use mile splits on my stop watch. But maybe I should have took the time to put the garmin on my wrist. For some reason I decided to just hold it in my hand with a gel too. I had pockets...but after fumbling with my shoes...and I was also fumbling with my race belt, I didn't want to drop anything so I figured holding it wouldn't be a problem. Not sure if this played a factor later...

Started out the run and didn't feel great, but the first mile was 7:08. I was hoping to run 7:20's so that's a good sign. But I can tell this run is going to suck pretty early. I'm okay when my cardio is taxed, but I had the lead leg feeling...which I have trouble pushing through. Mile 2 is 7:26...then 7:54. Uh oh. Mentally, I didn't like the course change either, so that was playing on my mind too.

I pass an aid station and I try to grab a cup and feel instant pain in my left shoulder. So from here on out, I grab with my right. I'm not really thinking about it though, as it doesn't bother me while I'm running, but I figure maybe because I'm holding a garmin and gel in my left hand? IDK.

Anyway, the miles are just slogging on. I feel like walking, mile 4 is 7:08, which gives me a nice boost, but I know that time is wrong. Sure enough, mile 5 is 8:05, so likely just an inaccurate marker. I know I'm slowing down though...and mile 6 is 8:02. But with the finish line in sight, I speed up a little till I see the clock. Knowing I have ample time to come in under 2:20, I sort of jog it in.

Ditch the garmin. It wouldn't have helped anyway. Maybe I biked a little too hard? Mentally though, I don't think I gave it 100%. For some reason, the dead leg feeling just kills me. My mind wants to go, my cardio is fine...but it's like I'm dragging a bag of bricks. Still a little faster than last year despite them making this a true 10k course, and not just a 6 mile run like the last 2 years.
Post race
Warm down:

Scary moment after the race when I realized that my shoulder was all jacked up. I couldn't lift it at all...and it was a sharp pain in my rotator cuff. Thoughts about my HIM in 2 weeks quickly got me worried. I got a massage where they gave me some ice and worked the rest of my body. Then went to medical to have it checked out since it did not improve at all.

They did some quick tests of grip strength and made sure blood was flowing which was good. They said it was likely just inflammation, and to just RICE it. If the pain gets worse, see my doctor. They iced it up with saran wrap and I looked like a baseball pitcher...LOL.

Thankfully though, the pain eased up after more ice, and advil. It's pretty much 90% now.

Last updated: 2011-12-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:46 | 1640 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/82
Overall: 217/833
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Simple out and back at Ala Moana
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:01:17 | 24.85 miles | 24.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/82
Overall: 16/833
Performance: Good
230 avg watts, 170 avg bpm
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Course change this year. Went out to Lagoon drive first, then detoured on Alakea, Queen, then Piikoi before coming back to Ala Moana.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:24 | 06.21 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/82
Overall: 168/833
Performance: Below average
Course: Course change this year. Stayed completely in Ala Moana park, doubling back through the key hole 4 times.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-05-20 9:02 PM

User image

Subject: Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-05-20 9:50 PM
in reply to: #4219661

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: RE: Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course
Good job on toughing it out, and nice bike split. Hopefully the upcoming HIM will be a breeze by comparison.
2012-05-20 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4219706

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Awesome bike and great race overall!  Hope the shoulder is 100% soon.
2012-05-20 10:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Nice job out there! It was a beautiful morning for a race!
2012-05-21 9:17 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Nice race and a great bike split!  I hope the shoulder is ok!
2012-05-22 12:41 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Jason - nice RR.  I hadn't realized that you almost cracked the hour mark for the bike, that's awesome.  Great race overall!

2012-05-22 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Good job, looks like you did PR despite the issues. Great bike !!
2012-05-22 3:38 PM

User image

Nice job on the race and RR! Glad the shoulder is OK. Good luck at the Honu!!
2012-06-03 10:11 PM

Veteran
Honolulu
Awesome, can't wait to see Honu results. Lucky you got to race w Lance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Honolulu Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed