3 Disciplines Racing
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 28s
Overall Rank = 9/32
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 5:30. Made some coffee and got myself moving. Had a whole wheat mini bagel with pb&j and a cup of coffee. Got my stuff loaded up, used the bathroom, got the family up and going then we all headed to the venue about 15 minutes from the campground. Got my transition spot all set up then went to hang out waiting for the start.
Event warmup:

Geared up, Got my wetsuit on. Got in the water about 5 min prior to starting and got wet and splashed around a bit.
Swim
  • 11m
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Fair swim I guess. My new wetsuit was super. I got a good start but just got jammed in a group and couldn't get a clear lane. Tried going outside but so did others. I was on another guys feet the whole first stretch and another guy was on my feet the back stretch. Down the home stretch it cleared up a bit and I finally able to groove a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I guess. I had a good position for the start, and won my AG, but felt I could have been faster if I could have gotten clear sooner.
Transition 1
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

OK transition. I think time included long run up from water. I was a bit slow there. Got my suit off fast, and got out ok.

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 35m 23s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 21.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a decent bike. Love my new Trek SC! I love having the additional gear choices. It was super easy to find the right gear to keep spinning yet movining fast. This is a fast course, but seems the wind will be there every year. Always on the way back too.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Had a good T2. Had everything set up good and moved pretty fast.

Nothing
Run
  • 27m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Took me the first half of the run to get moving. I spent a little too much on the bike maybe, but not crazy or anything. Had a better run than last year but still could have been faster. I still run like a clyde. I'm getting better, but still a bit slow. Had a good kick at the end and I finished strong.

I probably could have benefitted from a few more bricks to prepare myself. Just need to train, train, train. Need to work on my speed a bit more. I'm getting much better with my endurance, but still struggle with speed. I'm still a big guy so I'll never be a 6 minute miler, but upper 8s is still too slow.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked in the shade and sipped water to cool down. After my body relaxed a bit I had a sub and some chips. Relaxed with my wife in the shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just training. My overall fitness level has really improved, but just need more time training.

Event comments:

3D puts on a good race. They were super organized this year, all the waves were on time, no timing issues, great support on the course, good after race food, and nice shirts, medals, awards. I would recommend their races to anyone.

Last updated: 2012-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:00 | 547 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 7/32
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: Rectangular counterclockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:23 | 12.43 miles | 21.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 5/32
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: General out and back. Open roads with some traffic. Had to slow once for a park entrance with vehicle traffic. Slow on the very tight turn around. Had the wind on the way out. In my face on the way back. I pushed pretty hard on the bike as I wanted to make as much time as possible since it is usually my best event. My new bike worked awesome! Very similar conditions to last year and I was over 2 mph faster. I know some of it was my conditioning, but the bike helped with the wind. One guy in my AG passed me right after the turn around. I kept him in sight and was able to push past him about 1/2 way back. Otherwise I think I only got passed by 2 other guys, and they were doing the oly. Passed quite a few people on mountain bikes. They were having a real tough time with the wind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:24 | 03.1 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 23/32
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back over dam. Wide open and hot. Didn't seem as hot as I remember last year, but no shade out there and running on blacktop path. One hill at the end before the turn around provided a little challenge. Good aid stations at 1 m. and the turn around.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes