2012-05-22 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4221912

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Faster Without Wetsuit
powerman - 2012-05-21 9:27 PM
Goosedog - 2012-05-21 2:38 PM
powerman - 2012-05-21 4:33 PM

So with that, I always opt to wear the suit... does not save me time, but it saves me energy. If my time is the same, then why waste energy?

Help me understand this.  It seems that if you are properly pacing your swim, your energy expenditure would be the same with or without the wetsuit, but your time would be faster with. 

Please understand I'm no expert and this is just what I think, not what is proven....

I just think I can swim harder w/o because I can breath more... but that the wetsuit does keep more of me out of the water and probably cuts down on drag more.... so when I have swam w/o the suit I feel free and go faster... but with the added drag of my hips lower I don't get a faster time. So in a race w/ the suit I go as fast I can maintain... which is about the same... So to me, I'm working harder, but it does not achieve a faster time, so why go harder and waste more energy?

That's just how I see it... it could all be nonsense.

It's possible the extra lift of the suit means you're kicking less, as you don't need to for the body positioning. You could also be using less to keep yourself stable. And even though the energy is available, you're not quite sure how to use it well enough yet for added propulsion. Or more accurately, how to turn it into more speed. Timing is very important, it's harder to go faster in swimming than in biking or running.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Faster Without Wetsuit Rss Feed  

of 2