General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking with prescription eyewear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-22 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Biking with prescription eyewear
I ride all of the time with my eyeglasses.  Most of the time this is perfectly fine, but occassionally the sun becomes quite annoying.  Since I do not have contacts at this time, are there any other options for wearing glasses and getting protection from the sun?  I am assuming that they make prescription cycling sunglasses, but I don't have that kind of money right now.  Thanks in advance....

2012-05-22 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4223102

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley
Subject: RE: Biking with prescription eyewear

I have a pair of Oakleys with Rx lenses that I've been very happy with.  I was using regular sunglasses while riding/running/racing (I don't have a strong Rx) but once I went to prescription lenses I felt faster, amazing how that happens.  I'm predominately a mountain biker/XTERRA type triathlete so seeing the trees, roots, rocks and trail helps me go faster.

I got them from Sport Vision Bend via the intertubes (http://www.sportsvisionbend.com/)  Excellent customer service from them.

2012-05-22 1:18 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Hey Micheal!

I just waited till I could buy them with my insurance.  It was still a little pricey, but I got a pair of oakley perscription through the insurance.  I got them at Pearl vision.

2012-05-22 1:18 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago Area

Prescription eyewear for sports is quite readily available.  I have prescription riding glasses I bought through Opticsplanet.com several years ago.  No, they are not cheap unless you have some form of insurance to help offset the cost.  You can pick out a pair of frames and send them your prescription info, and they'll make them for you.

Here's the catch... by their very nature, most cycling glasses typically have a fairly agressive curvature to them so that they conform to your face, better protecting your eyes from flying road debris and bugs, and obviously making them more aerodynamic.  The more agressive the curvature of the frames, the harder it is to make prescription lenses fit them.  Depending on how severe your prescription is, some frames may or may not accomodate your particular lens shape.

Usually you can go to a frame manufacturers website and they will have designated "Rx Compatible" frames.  I know Oakley does this. Some will even tell you the range of prescription lens curvatures that will work with it.  

I guess your other option is to get contact lenses and just use standard riding sunglasses.   

2012-05-22 1:50 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

You might also be able to find some clipons that work with your glasses.

I rode with glasses for a while, but eventually got tired of it and got contacts just for riding and racing.  I still wear my glasses every day.  (I resisted contacts for 25+ years because I HATE the idea of putting something in my eye.  I still hate it, but I love the freedom of contacts for racing and riding.)

2012-05-22 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've heard google4u.com recommended on other boards I'm on for cheap prescription glasses before. I've never personally used them, but it looks like you can get a pair for $20. I know they often have coupon codes too

2012-05-22 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada

While prescription swim goggles are reasonable cheap and readily available I haven't really found any cycling eye ware that I can get in my high index prescription -7.5 and  -7.0, so I just get some really good polarized clipon's for my regular glasses and go that route, not the best solution because as mentioned sometimes the bugs and the wind do get in. If you do find something reasonably inexpensive I am interested

2012-05-22 2:49 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
My SO has some prescription eyewear. He initially bought some Rudy Projects and they have some eyeglasses that accept an insert that is the prescription lens. Now he's sponsored by Louis Garneau, so he gets some Garneau glasses. Turns out that they accept the same insert, so he can just pull the insert in and out and change them around with various glasses. He can also get glasses with interchangeable lenses. So the insert is the prescription part is pretty small, flat and clear and you just hook it into the glasses. Maybe check that out?
2012-05-22 2:50 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
2012-05-22 4:08 PM

User image

New user
Athens, GA
I got some of the prescription wind-goggle-type glasses from zennioptical.com a couple of years ago, and they're not too bad - and you can't beat the price. I also have contacts that I almost never wore until I started triathlon, and at this point I do wear the contacts for swimming and at least half the time on the bike with regular sunglasses. But if I've forgotten to put in the contacts or it's just a shorter ride, the Zenni sunglasses are fine.
2012-05-22 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Somewhere training in Rocklin, CA
I wear prescription Oakleys but recommend when trying on various frame types that you take your helmet to make sure they work together or you'll be buying a new helmet as well.

2012-05-22 8:06 PM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

My prescription raybans work wonders for me... 

I got them at Lens Crafters. 

2012-05-22 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4223988

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA

I'm blind enough that I can't ride with my rx glasses as I have no peripheral vision, so when I look over my shoulder to check for oncoming traffic, I really can't see clearly enough to make a safe decision.

If you can tolerate contacts, you can probably get them for the same or less than rx sunglasses.

I have the monthly disposables, and only wear them when I ride or swim, so they last a bit longer than a month.

Just another thing to consider, especially if you're as nearsighted as I am.

2012-05-22 8:27 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Just get some sunglasses made to fit over prescription glasses. Got mine at Walgreens. Not perfect, but work just fine when I need to give my eyes a rest from contacts.
2012-05-22 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4224007

User image

Veteran
em73 - 2012-05-22 9:18 PM

I'm blind enough that I can't ride with my rx glasses as I have no peripheral vision, so when I look over my shoulder to check for oncoming traffic, I really can't see clearly enough to make a safe decision.

If you can tolerate contacts, you can probably get them for the same or less than rx sunglasses.

I have the monthly disposables, and only wear them when I ride or swim, so they last a bit longer than a month.

Just another thing to consider, especially if you're as nearsighted as I am.

This is where I stand with my eyesight.  I plan on getting contacts again but I need something quicker because I have a 150 mile MS ride in two weeks. 

2012-05-23 1:00 AM

I have a pair of Oakley Fives Squared ($70) with Oakley Rx lenses ($205).  Just get the standard grey (iridium coatings will eventually flake off).

Insurance paid for a good chunk of them, and after five years of use the frames are all beat up, but the lenses are pristine (not a scratch).

Can't recommend these highly enough.

2012-05-23 6:26 AM

New user
Connecticut Shore

I found some sweet looking Raybans at Sears on the clearance rack.  Dirt cheap for a real nice pair of frames.  They were able to get the Rx lenses to match the original. I haven't had a pair of true Rx sunglasses in 20 years.  It was just the best.  Makes riding very enjoyable.  The grab my head and hang on tight, no slippage.

I wanted to get riding style glasses, but once I started to add in all the options it got pricey.  I explored the kind where you get the clip in Rx inserts, but I thought looking through two layers of plastic would get annoying after a while.  I can't imagine that both lenses don't get sweaty and dusty.  Also, getting super duper wrap around biking glasses, and then walking around town in them seemed a littel pretentious to me.  Hey look at me I am wearing $500 biking glasses.

2017-02-28 7:41 PM
in reply to: Flapjack

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I bought a couple of pairs of sunglasses (progressive lenses) at Zenni. Not the fanciest of frames but they work fine. My most recent pair have cool blue mirror lenses, think I paid $60 out the door.
2017-02-28 8:35 PM
in reply to: mcommend

User image

Ventura, California

I got a pair of Panlees Sports Goggles for a sky diving trip I was going to take back in 2014. Never did take that trip and the glasses got packed away. 

Then after almost crashing on my bike doing about 50 mph down a mountain hill with the wind blowing around my rx glasses right into my eyeballs and making my eyes water so bad I was essentially blind, not a good feeling at all. At that moment I remembered those glasses I stashed away. I now use them for my high speed downhill rides and for racing.

I got them through www.glassesusa.com and they where delivered just in just under 2 weeks. IF you call them you can most likely arrange faster arrangements.

One bit of warning, 2 things, they sit very close to the face and they are curved so they will be abit wonky at first if you simply use your standard prescription. Basically its like looking through a panoramic lenses with a stronger focus. 

I need swim goggles as I am blind as a bat (near sighted) in the water so I just kinda follow folks until I can see the blurry outlines of the sighting buoys, not so bad for lakes, but open ocean swims get a little uncomfortable.

2017-02-28 9:28 PM
in reply to: Opticamoda

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Originally posted by Opticamoda

If you are buying a sunglasses for fashion and protect your eyes for sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays. So visit our website for more information about perfect Sunglasses. Opticamoda has all tops of brands for sunglasses. Sunglasses are a great fashion accessory, but their most important job is to protect your eyes from the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays. Opticamoda

5-yr old thread dug up by a commercial poster who signed up today ..... hmmmmm....

2017-03-02 9:40 AM
in reply to: mcommend

Veteran
Indiana
I never would have paid what a pair of prescription Oakleys cost, but then I found out to my amazement they were covered by my vision plan.

Crazy health insurance. No, we won't cover your antidepressant. But we will buy you a $450 pair of prescription cycling glasses.

FYI, in the aero position I do not find the Oakleys optimal. I wind up looking at the very top of the lens or the upper part of the frame. They're great for riding on a road bike or MTB, but not so great for tri bike. Just my experience - people with better upper back flexibility, or a more upright aero position, probably don't mind this.

I wound up going back to contacts and a Giro Air Attack helmet with the shield.
I prefer the shield anyway because I find that I do not accumulate sweat around my eyes the way I do when I am wearing sunglasses. The shield gives more ventilation and air flow around that part of my face and it's much preferable for a sustained hard ride.
I generally don't like contacts - I badly overused them in my youthful foolish days - but now I find that keeping a package of disposable contacts around is good for race day or prolonged training rides on the tri bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking with prescription eyewear Rss Feed