BolderBoulder
60sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 45m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-304
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Popped out of bead at 4:30 am and had a bowl of Total Raisin bran. Ate a banana and drank about 12 ounces of Accelerade on the way up to Boulder.
Event warmup:

Rachelle and I had a long walk to the start line. Hit the bathroom at Safeway on the way and again once we got to the start area. Ran a lap around the parking lot near the start area to get my body temp up a bit and then did some stretching. While I was stretching my calves on the curb, I saw a guy that fit the description that one of my co-workers said would be her brother. I've never met the guy, but so I just asked him "Are you Micah?" Surprisingly enough it was her brother. He's a fast dude and was in the A wave, so we wished eachother luck and I continued w/ my stretching.
Run
  • 45m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Terrible start. There were just too many people. I'm sure my first mile was crap. Of course, I was concentrating on picking off "the next guy" so I missed the mile marker. This ended up being the theme the entire run. The first aid station seemed to come up very fast. I grabbed a cup of water and managed to drink it comfortably while maintaining my pace. Pretty soon there after, I caught up to Rachelle since she had started a few waves ahead of me. Just as I passed her, I realized I missed mile marker 2. At that point, I pretty much quit worrying about the mile markers and just focused on trying to run at a cruising speed which means I was breathing just hard enough to make talking a little difficult.

From there, up to mile 5 was a semi conscious blur of runners. Strangely, I think I found "the zone." I felt my legs turning over underneath me on the flats, shortened my stride and increased my turnover on the up hills and relaxed my legs on the downhills to let gravity to it's work. I went through at least one aid station and grabbed some Gatorade and stayed in my zone.

I lost that "zone" feeling just about the time I saw mile marker 5 stretched over the road up in the distance. The last mile took some considerable effort as I tried to pick up the pace. I could feel my left IT band tightening and it really hurt on the slight up hills. I settled into a hard cadence and was promptly passed by a dude wearing a blue and white flowered sundress. WTF!!! I tried to stay with him but he was just too damn fast. (So, I'm admitting that a guy in a dress outran me) I kept pressing the pace until and as we headed up the hill towards the stadium and the dress guy turned the corner never to be seen again. By this time, I was really breathing hard and just tried to hold my pace. As I entered the stadium, my stomach wanted to empty it's contents, but I refused. Turning curve in the stadium, I saw a girl on the inside of curve w/ her hands on her knees getting rid of every last ounce of Gatorade she had consumed during the race (Nice!). I sprinted as best I could to the finish line and hit the stop button on my watch. (Glad I at least got that one right.) I walked through the chute, began my cool down and enjoyed the rest of the race atmosphere.
What would you do differently?:

Get my mile splits. As far as race performance goes though, I'm very happy with a PR - 45:36
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some post race food and a beer on the way through the CU Fieldhouse. Finished 16 oz of water and an orange while I did some stretching. I had a Michelob Ultra because it was cold, but the fact that it was cold was really the only good thing about it. Rachelle and I met up after she finished and we wandered through the expo gathering our free crap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training? I haven't been as consistent as I'd like to be, but at the same time, I've trained more consistently this year than any other time in my life.

Event comments:

The BolderBoulder is one of the most enjoyable races I've ever run. The variety of entertainment along the course combined with the range of fitness levels for the participants almost make this a required race for any runner.

Last updated: 2006-05-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:36 | 06.21 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
I didn't get any of my splits
Course: Same as every other year, but it seemed that there were more people on the course this year.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-30 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Bolder Boulder

2006-05-30 2:40 PM
in reply to: #438154

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: RE: Bolder Boulder
Nice race Ben. Good job with the PR.
2006-05-30 3:05 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Nice pace!  Congrats on the PR!  You were fast.
2006-06-01 2:07 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Awesome Job!!  Don't worry about the dress guy...It was really a Kenyan in a traditional flower robe.
2006-06-02 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

I'll bet that punk in the dress stole your tri shorts at the club! LMAO!

Excellent race Ben.  Very nice PR on a crowded course!

2006-06-02 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Great job!
I wish I did the Bolder Boulder this year

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bolder Boulder Rss Feed