United States
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 58m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6:30 am for a 7:30 am start - too late! This didn't allow enough time for sufficient pre-race nutrition. I quickly ate my Cliff Bar and downed a quart of gatorade/whey mix. Bad idea as this would sit like a pit in my stomach for the first half of the race. The day before the race also featured too much walking at Niagara Falls.
Run
  • 3h 58m 15s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

RESPECT THE DISTANCE! I did not.

Horrible, awful, terrible race!!! This is my third marathon of the year and with some luck I was really hoping to go sub 3:30. Obviously, this didn't happen. I really took the race for granted and never really focused on what was ahead of me.

All you need to know about the race can be found in my half marathon splits: 1st half - 1:41; 2nd half - 2:17. Unbelievable - I've never seen splits anything like it! The good news is the first half marathon was a PR - the bad news is I was running a full marathon. As I didn't get up early enough, my morning breakfast sloshed around my stomach for the entire first half of the race. Due to that fact, I neglected to take in any liquids for the first 13 miles. Big mistake, as I was sweating pretty bad and I knew I was getting dehydrated. I just couldn't force myself to drink. I was actually feeling very good until mile 15, running much faster than I had ancitipated (average 7:30 - 7:40 splits - another bad idea). At mile 15, 'IT' hit and the rest of the race featured at least 10 bouts of near vomiting, calf cramps, tired - burning legs, dehydration, warm temps (but nothing out of the ordinary), and a HR which I couldn't get to come down.

Oh well, what can you do? I learned a lot. The factors contributing to the race included poor pre-race nutrition and hydration, horrible pacing, over training, and not a light enough of a taper. In some ways, I am pretty proud of the race as I pushed through even though the idea of DNF was strongly in my mind. I just couldn't get JeepFleeb's IM shirt out of my mind!
What would you do differently?:

Where do I begin? Properly hydrate before and during the race, slow down, not walk too much the day before the race, put more focus on my taper, and most importantly - RESPECT THE DISTANCE.
Post race
Event comments:

Not a bad race. I would have a better opinion if I had better results. Very small marathon with small rolling hills, but nothing too bad. The first half of the course was pretty, while the second half was just ok. I will not run the race again, but would not discourage others from doing so.

Last updated: 2006-03-26 12:00 AM
Running
03:58:15 | 26.2 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-30 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: Nissan Buffalo Marathon

2006-05-30 2:48 PM
in reply to: #438171

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Nissan Buffalo Marathon

Thanks for posting this. There's a lot to be learned from it.

This is within driving distance from my home. I just may have to do this race next year.  

2006-05-30 9:56 PM
in reply to: #438171

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Nissan Buffalo Marathon
Sorry you had such a tough race, but you probably learned how important pre race nutrition is and the importance of rest the day before the marathon. Tough race but I'm sure you'll bounce back and kick some major butt at MCM.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nissan Buffalo Marathon Rss Feed