Colfax Marathon
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 30m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had cereal and toast and got dropped off at the start. Of course, after I got in the car to leave, I had to use the BR. After waiting on two lines that ran out of toilet paper, I grabbed some paper towels from the wash stations and waited again. Relief.
Event warmup:

Just walking
Run
  • 4h 30m 30s
  • 26.23 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I just don't know. I felt great for the first half. The middle segment, from about 13-18 I tried to keep with the 4 hour group, but my IT bands were really tightening up at that point. My lungs and mind felt good; my legs were starting to go. I lost the group around mile 17. I still don't think I hit 'the wall' (which I definitely thought I did in Charleston); my body was just beat. The stretch along the river (20-23) was boring and a bit mentally challenging, but overall, it was OK. I was pretty slow at that point. There was some walking between 22 and 26, but it wasn't awful. I want to run sub 4 hours so bad, but I just don't know what to do to keep myself loose enough to keep a good pace.
What would you do differently?:

I really don't know.
Post race
Warm down:

walking, eating, stretching. Legs in the cold river in Golden a few hours later (which helped a lot!).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IT band tightness. They just seize up (but thankfully not so much where I was in pain). I really think my endurance is close to being able to run sub 4 hours. I just need to figure out a way to get my body there. I wonder, am I a few pounds too heavy? Should I roll out/get massages more? Do I need to do speed workouts? Focus on running long runs faster? More often? All of these things?

Last updated: 2012-02-10 12:00 AM
Running
04:30:30 | 26.23 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Mainly flat. I slight uphill heading out west, and a downhill on the way back. I think the downhill was a little tough on my body.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes