General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Edge 800 - not always recording speed, distance and grade Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-26 7:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Garmin Edge 800 - not always recording speed, distance and grade
I've got a Garmin Edge 800 that is having some issues. I've been using the Garmin on my road bike and tri bike with no issues since Fall 2011. Recently, I've had glitches about 5% of my rides. Here's part of what I sent Garmin...

- - MY EMAIL TO GARMIN - -
Yesterday during a bike ride (mostly sunny and 90ish degrees in Austin TX) I had some major issues with my GPS. The speed grade and distance seemed to randomly turn on and off. This wasn't due to pausing... it was happening while riding. One second everything seemed to be fine. The next second I had lost everything except cadence and heart rate. When I did lose functionality it was gone for long bursts... miles and miles not just an eighth mile or so. I tried stopping resetting etc. but it didn't help. If the functions came back it was only for a short time. Then they would disappear again. I started the ride following a previous course. I thought perhaps that was part of the issue. I shut off the course feature but that had no effect.
- - - - -

Here's part of what Garmin wrote back...

- - GARMIN REPLY - -
Are you using a GSC-10 (speed and cadence) sensor with your Edge 800? Does the device function like normal without the GSC-10? I ask this question because when the Edge 800 is paired with a GSC-10 the Edge takes all of its' speed and distance readings from the sensor.
- - - - -

Yes, I'm using a GSC-10 on both of my bikes. What they're saying doesn't make sense. It's a GPS. Why would it be getting speed and distance readings from the sensor? My understanding is that it pulls speed and distance info from the sensor at times when a GPS signal can't be found.

Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe I just need to return it to REI and get a different one.

-Joel

2012-05-28 4:38 AM
in reply to: #4230235

User image

Subject: RE: Garmin Edge 800 - not always recording speed, distance and grade
When I got a new set of wheels I had the rear wheel's magnet too far forward and the speed would cut in and out, auto pausing regularly even when I was doing 20 MPH.

I shifted the magnet so it crossed the sensor closer to the end of the arm and it's never done that since.

At the rear of the arm of the wheel pickup, there's a line etched in the plastic. Make sure the magnet's wide part is closest to the arm from that line to the end of the arm. Also make sure the arm it out enough so the magnet is only about 5mm max away from the arm of the pickup.

Another thing to do just for grins and giggles is to change out the battery in your GSC-10. You may have bought it yesterday but you have no idea how long it's sat on the shelf prior to that.

2012-06-06 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4231638

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Thanks for the help. I ended up swapping batteries in both of the GSC-10 sensors. I also tweaked the position of the magnets, sensors, etc., to make sure everything was doing what it was supposed to do. Since then, no issues.

Thanks for the advice!

-Joel
2012-06-07 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4230235

User image

Outstanding! Glad it's working for you, regardless of what was the issue

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Edge 800 - not always recording speed, distance and grade Rss Feed