General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cortisone Shot for Hip Labral Tear? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-26 4:05 PM

Subject: Cortisone Shot for Hip Labral Tear?

I have been having hip pain for the past 6 months. As well as triathlons I am an avid dancer. I usually dance up to 20 hours a week and it is something I hope to pursue in college (I am 16 and a Senior in High School). I went through 2 rounds of 6 week PT and thought I got better, things got bad again and I went for a MRI arthogram. It showed that I had a labral tear in my right hip and I have a very very slight Impingement. My sports Ortho said the impingement isn’t anything he would worry about until I am older. But he wants to try a cortisone shot for the labral tear. I know cortisone is a temporary fix and won’t actually heal my tear but just take away the pain. So in order to start being able to train again for both my sports I would eventually need the surgery to fix the tear. Should I use the cortisone? I feel like it will temporarily relieve my pain but won’t actually solve anything, and will just delay the time until I can train again. The sooner I can be completely healed the better, so wouldn’t the surgery right away be best? My Ortho doesn’t see labral tears a lot but he said that he knows a surgeon who almost always does cortisone first. Any one gone through anything similar? Any advice or recommendations would be highly appreciated!

2012-05-26 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4230594

Veteran
Subject: RE: Cortisone Shot for Hip Labral Tear?
Because hip arthroscopic surgery is such a specialty, I would recommend that you see an ortho that has performed lots of this type of surgery and then go from there. Cortisone shots are a "band-aid"  to try to fix the problem and I would get the surgery done with sooner than later so you can get back to what you want to do.
2012-05-27 1:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
I agree - cortisone is a band aid, and potentially allows you to do stuff that  normally your body wouldn't allow. Further medical opinions on this injury sound like  a good course of action.
2012-05-27 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I agree, for a labral tear the cortisone shot is a band aid. Check out the injury forums over at runners world...there is a huge thread dedicated to labral tear discussions. It seems that several people there have been able to deal with labral tears by strengthening the muscle groups around the area rather than with surgery.

I too have been dealing with hip pain and have been unable to run since December. After a basic MRI (no contrast) I was diagnosed with a iliopsoas tear, femoral stress reaction and a possible labral tear. Fortunately, a 2nd MRI (but this time with contrast) last month showed that my tear and stress reaction had healed. There was no sign of a labral tear, so the ortho thinks that the 1st diagnosis was incorrect. I still have some pain, but unsure of the cause (possibly arthritis?).

I hope you can get some relief soon and get back to doing the activities you enjoy pain free!
2012-05-29 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA

I had bilateral labral tears (no impingment) in 2009 (not diag till 2010) - I was lucky in that cortisone shots and LOTS of PT seemed to have fixed the tears.  If you're anywhere near Boston I HIGHLY recommend my Dr. (M. Kocher @ Children's) - he's a rockstar, this is pretty much all he does.

Good luck.  Find an excellent PT who will work with you to fix any movement problems/imbalances.

PM me if you have specific questions - I know quite a few women with very similar issues.

2012-06-04 3:30 PM

I agree with the others, see a Doctor who specializes in FAI/Labral tears. I had a cortisone shot for a tear, it was temporary relief.

If you are near NYC, I'd see Dr Bryan Kelly. He did my surgery last year and is one of the top guys out there. Works with lots of young peeps like yourself.

http://www.bryankellymd.com/index.html

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cortisone Shot for Hip Labral Tear? Rss Feed