General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple-T Ohio - Race #4: Little Smokies Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Triple-T Ohio - Race #4: Little Smokies Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portsmouth, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 31m 47s
Overall Rank = 188/322
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 44/100
Pre-race routine:

AHHHHH, the last race. All I wanted to do was sleep in. I got up and ate my breakfast. I was feeling dehydrated . I took 2 salt pills and some powerade and started feeling very nauseous . This wasn’t going to be a good race day for me! Ughhh. We also decided to check out of the room that morning so we were running a little late. Imagine that! The car ride was very quiet going over to the race. James had some type of Mexican music on and I quickly asked him to change it. All I wanted to do was listen to was some quiet , relaxing country, but I zoned the radio out and shut my eyes.

I set everything up at the race and realized I remembered everything, except for one thing! I needed a tampon for a change in the middle of the race. I started asking everyone and nobody had one. Finally a woman pointed to another woman and said “she will have one!” She gave me one and then I felt satisfied.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 36m 36s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

As we lined up on the beach I was dreading the race more and more. I wanted to puke, but I couldn’t. Earlier I went to the porta john. The only thing I could get to come out was from the bottom end. James was right next to me for the start on this one. I knew he would destroy me in the swim (he's a good swimmer). I saw him dive in and get going. Okay here I go….I started swimming and of course we know the story…. The ol goggle issue AGAIN! FML! I decided that I will see if breathing to one side and closing that one eye would help. It did! Wow, why didn’t I think of this earlier? I was like a pirate swimming along. I felt tough this time and not sick to my stomach any more. I got around the first marker and tried an adjustment. OMG, the goggle sealed up on me. MOOOOOOVE outta my way-here comes Chantell Wirz! I started swimming like I knew what I was doing (finally my practice has paid off). I was passing people, drafting off feet, bumping people and just having fun with it! This was awesome! I knew I could do it. I came out of the first lap like a champ and was hooting and hollering with fists in the air! I left the goggles in place and ran right back in. I felt soooo good! I felt like a pro (even though I was probably slow as a snail)! FINALLY, FINALLY!!!! I can’t explain how proud of myself I was. I almost cried, but didn’t want to remove my goggles. I could picture my dad and uncle upstairs laughing at me and sending words of encouragement.
What would you do differently?:

go faster. I was just feeling comfortable. I know I could go faster but this was a rookie wknd for me
Transition 1
  • 04m 55s
Comments:

I was slow on purpose
Bike
  • 3h 38m 48s
  • 55.5 miles
  • 15.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I got out the water and moved slowly to transition. I packed everything up and took off. I was feeling GOOD, better than GOOD! I headed out on the bike course and was averaging about 20 mph when we turned and headed for the hill. LOOK OUT! This was another tough one. About ¾ up the hill someone had stopped and was leaning over his handle bars for a rest. This was a pretty long hill, but I stayed in the saddle and kept moving. There were times when I was all by myself on the course, so I started singing that song “All by myself” out loud. I then started talking to myself, but I was enjoying the moment. It was mostly shaded and just perfect out. I was glad I opted for the aero helmet. I think I can really tell the speed difference with this one on. At one point I saw a guy walking the course holding his bike over his shoulder with no shoes (Later I found out he crashed and walked like 10miles back, up all those hills, holding his bike and dropped out, but that’s a champ in my mind). Anyhow, it was about mile 24 and thought I recognized the compression socks and Pearl Izumi shorts on the rider about 250 yrds in front of me. It was James! Nice….I was catching up. We pulled into the water stop and got what we needed. I left before him and I was feeling GREAT! I kept telling myself I was going to run the entire race at a 9 min pace. The second bike loop was the same and I just stayed in the saddle and kept my nutrition up. I couldn’t find my gels. I guess I left them in transition, so I had to eat another bonk breaker bar which was a little on the heavy side. Ughhh, I can’t believe I left the gels. I never want to eat another cookie in my life! At mile 45 I told some guys that I was about to become a “real” triathlete and pee on the bike. They told me they did that last hill. I told them I would make sure they were outta the way when I tried. I moved forward and left them behind. I started to go , but it was too hard going up a hill. I decided to wait until a downhill. AT mile 47 I started going down and let her flow. I put my rear end off to the right and felt the warmth down my leg and into my shoe. My shoe was full and warm. Ewwww. I didn’t have any water in a squirt bottle to rinse off either. O well. Now I felt complete! After a couple miles my shoe felt back to the norm again. I finished the bike leg feeling great!

wandering if I could have went a little quicker???
Transition 2
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

took my time
Run
  • 2h 08m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Transition came and it was very slow! Took my time and headed out feeling pretty good, but I could feel the heat! I could also feel something in the back of my shorts. Hey, those were the gels. Duh, I had new race shorts on and forgot they had a back pocket. Ooops! I Didn’t feel them on the bike. When I got to the first hill I walked a tad bit. There were tons of people walking. Tons of people that looked like they weren’t going anywhere, but I was feeling good. It was just hot! I got to the first aid station and dumped water over my head, took a drink and then dumped ice down my sports bra. I started to run and the ice was making noise shaking around in there. I felt relaxed until the next hill. Wow, my goal of a 9 minute pace just went to 10 and under. This was no joke! I felt a blister forming on my big toe and could scrape the crusty salt off my face. I hit another aid station and dumped some ice in the back of my pants and my bra this time. Ahhhh…felt soo good! I was taking the ice cubes and running them around on my face to clear the salt. I was getting into a good groove and only walking when I had to. The burps were coming now. I read about people’s flatulence so it was funny when one guy turned his head and said he heard that. At this point I really didn’t care. Everything felt great. The only thing bothering me was the chaffing on the back side of my arm rubbing my jersey. It burned so bad, like I was stung by a wasp! That’s never occurred before (good point for next race). I think it was about mile 5 I saw James coming in around mile 2. Ruh, roh for him! I think we just kinda shook heads when we passed each other. I on the other hand was about to hit the scorching HOT pavement in a few and it would suck the life out of me. I came around to the mid marker and got some more fuel and water. I just kept moving on. It was great having people cheer for you. Most athletes would say “keep it up” etc. I would do the same! When I went back in the woods a girl asked me if I was on the first or second loop. I said 2nd. She was on her first. I think I made her depressed. I told her good luck! I then saw a CTC (Cleveland tri club) guy. He didn’t have his ttt jersey on. I’m yelling “ GO CTC!” He gave a fist pump. I caught him and introduced myself as a new member. As I left him I continued on. I was about to have a finsher’s medal sooner than later. As I was leaving the trail (about mile 5.5) I saw James making his round for the second loop. He put his hand on his stomach and said he needed awhile. He had a cup of something he was drinking. I was moving and ready to hull ass! I started running hard! I got to the corner and had my arms raised in the air. I was yelling “THAT’S RIGHT BABY! #271 IS FINISHING STRONG! WOOT WOOT! I’M ON A ROLL! COME ON TTT!” I think I gave the crowd some exccitement because people were standing up cheering me on and laughing. I was getting faster and could smell the finish! I could see the photographer ahead. I ran so hard across the finish line I had a standing ovation! Then the shower hit me! A hose from a volunteer for the perfect cool off! I was exclaiming this was my first triathlon experience and people were wowed! They couldn’t believe I picked this event for my first time! I was in awe! I was happier than happy! I am now a vet triathlete. 4 tris in 3 days! Woot woot!

pick up the run pace a bit more.
Post race
Warm down:

hose and a creek

Last updated: 2011-11-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:36 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 81/100
Overall: 0/322
Performance: Below average
Suit: yes
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:38:48 | 55.5 miles | 15.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/100
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: hilly
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:08:28 | 13.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/100
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-30 11:36 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: American Triple-T Ohio - Race #4: Little Smokies Half Iron

2012-05-30 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4235386

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Subject: RE: American Triple-T Ohio - Race #4: Little Smokies Half Iron
Great job on a long weekend! The swims get better don't they? Awesome.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Triple-T Ohio - Race #4: Little Smokies Half Iron Rss Feed